The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2005 Lotus Elise last night...drove it straight home....then went to my first track event at CA Spdwy with it today!

As a newbie, I was extremely nervous, but signed up for driving instruction - ended up with Oscar Jr. (him and Sr. work for Kraftwerks). Oscar was extremely nice and helped me out a lot.

So here are my random thoughts:

Session 1: WTF!!!!! I have no idea what I'm doing. Oscar is holding the wheel 1/2 the time.

Session 2: I start seeing the lines (not hitting them), but now driving overaggressively - too quick into the turns.

Sessions 3 - 5: Slowly learning the lines more and more....realize that it's all about running smooth lines!!!

Random things I forgot being a newbie:

1. tire pressure gauge - borrowed one
2. "Nothing should be in the car!!!!!" (that means in the trunk too!!!!)
Second session my car died!!! - my soft top in the trunk knocked the battery loose - novice move, but I learned)
3. Tow hitch should be screwed on - when my battery died I had to go to the trunk to get the hitch and screw it on - another novice move.
4. Sun tan lotion - I got fried with the top off
5. Drink tons of water
6. I kept hitting the horn on the Elise - hands at 10 and 2, not 9 and 3!

I'm officially addicted - next event is on Jun 28 at Willow Springs...

Here is a pic of my friend after one of the sessions:
(a little sick)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
prep you car before you hit the track, make sure to torque your ligs nuts after they have cooled from the prior session.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR REAR TOE END LINKS FOR PROPER TORQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look the car over between sessions.

have fun, its very addicting, and a slippery slope.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hi Eddie!

Congrats! You hit the Lotus experience....BIG TIME!:D

Thanks for the memories of MY first track session!
You've described the feeling perfectly!

My first lap around Buttonwillow "I don't know what the hell I'm doing!":eek:
But it gets better.

See ya out there!:wave:

--Hal

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the memories of MY first track session!
You've described the feeling perfectly!

My first lap around Buttonwillow "I don't know what the hell I'm doing!":eek:
But it gets better.
+1!!!!!!!

i was better prepped than you on day 1 (it's in my german genes) but my driving was about the same. at least you did not "park" it on the track to let faster cars by!

it does get better. what really helped me was to read the skip barber and ross bentley books and to find some videos of good drivers doing the track(s) you are going to. watch them over and over and over and over and over again until you know a track line before you even get there.

congrats on surviving day 1!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement all!!!

Yes it was a very enlightening and humbling experience.

I have to say the most education I got (in learning the lines) was:

1) letting my instructor drive the car, and riding as a passenger in his car in 2 sessions.

2) a friendly Exige S let me be a passenger in his car....

As a passenger of skilled drivers, I learned the lines the most!

Powerbookguy, thanks...I'm going to pick up those books.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement all!!!

Yes it was a very enlightening and humbling experience.

I have to say the most education I got (in learning the lines) was:

1) letting my instructor drive the car, and riding as a passenger in his car in 2 sessions.

2) a friendly Exige S let me be a passenger in his car....

As a passenger of skilled drivers, I learned the lines the most!

Powerbookguy, thanks...I'm going to pick up those books.
if you continue to keep your focus on your line and smoothness rather than outright speed you will develop fairly quickly (though not consistently, be prepared for days when you are fully prepped and ready to go but can't drive for ****!).

soon you will notice other drivers thrashing about with some speed but apparently no idea where the line is. time will be on your side then and you will soon be faster than they.

·
Registered
64 Posts
glad you had a good time and are officially addicted! Sorry I couldn't hang around more but it sounds like you are taking a good approach. Hope to see you at more future track events!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad you had a good time and are officially addicted! Sorry I couldn't hang around more but it sounds like you are taking a good approach. Hope to see you at more future track events!
Hey tim,

It was good to meet you at the track....sorry about the Mini...I would have loved to see your car run in the green group ( I was a passenger in some of the cars in that group)....definitely will see you at upcoming track events!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts