The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Most people fill the numbers with paint and leave the ball aluminum colored, but I like this better. What did you use to paint the ball? Is it durable enough to not wear?

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
black ball! I want to do that too, but with all the characters in red.

Did you sand the ball down a bit before painting?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think it's better than my first mod, which was to detach the carpet and take it out to the curb.

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
Let's see,, once you try black you never go back?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most people fill the numbers with paint and leave the ball aluminum colored, but I like this better. What did you use to paint the ball? Is it durable enough to not wear?
es the paint is going to be durable. I have a friend that has a body shop and he mixed me a little paint and added a something to it he paints wheels with. I also cleared and waxed it after I was done. The number's are done in model paint.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
black ball! I want to do that too, but with all the characters in red.

Did you sand the ball down a bit before painting?

Yes I did sand it before paint and also used a adhesion promoter. Black and Red would be great, I love those colors together! Good luck!:nanner2:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I love it! It would look great on my non 72D Starlight black.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked with Mike (The buddy that has the body shop) and he said that a off the shelf wheel (spray) panit would work also. That is for though's that would reather have a solid color, no flake in the faint. Said it can be bought in black, red, gray, yellow and even gold at about any auto store. Good Luck and let's see some painted balls (shift!!!):coolnana:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Last time I tried to get mine off it was stuck, but maybe I'll try it again...

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last time I tried to get mine off it was stuck, but maybe I'll try it again...[/QUOTE

I am sure you know about the set screw at the back of the knob, but just thought I would say something about it. I have taken mine off, to see how hard it was and all I had to do once I loosened to set screw was twist it. Good luck and hope you get it!:nanner:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Last time I tried to get mine off it was stuck, but maybe I'll try it again...[/QUOTE

I am sure you know about the set screw at the back of the knob, but just thought I would say something about it. I have taken mine off, to see how hard it was and all I had to do once I loosened to set screw was twist it. Good luck and hope you get it!:nanner:
Yeah, I loosened the set screw, but evidently the ball's threads are goofed up. I can try squirting some penetrating oil up in the threads. Before this, I had no good reason to pull the ball off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts