The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Well, today, I decided I should learn how to change the oil in the Elise. Read the aricles you all have posted, and decided that using ramps would be the easiest and safest way to work on the car. One of my car enthusiast friends came over, and with a few beers (in him, I don't drink beer) we set about unbolting the engine access panel. It wasn't that bad! We had the thing off in less than ten minutes with both of us using rachet wrenches. The small hex-head bolts were 8mm, fyi. I got five quarts plus a bit extra of Castrol Syntec 5w40 oil, and after stopping by the Toyota dealer, decided the K&N oil filter was better made than the new Toyota filter, (K&N was also three times the price, $15.99) The filter on the car was a grey, Lotus OEM filter, different than the black Toyota version. The oil was black, definitely needed to be changed! Anyway, we hung out, waited for it to drain. Used a new gasket on the drain plug, pre-oiled the new filter and reassembled everything. Wow, what a huge difference! Did a sixteen mile run down to MT Vernon and back, the engine sounds and runs much nicer. (partly due to new plugs installled last night as well) Anyway, now almost ready for summer! And I have to say, this was the easiest oil change I have ever done, much easier than either MINI (R50 and new R56) and even easier than some BMWs I've owned. I can't see ever paying someone to do this.

Thanks for all the fantastic info here, you all are really helping me learn about the Elise! Anyone in the DC area who wants help changing their oil, feel free to ping me, I have ramps, a catch pan, tools, etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Told ya so! ;)

Everything really is right there in front of you once you get the panel off. :clap:

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
After a lot of cajolling from LT members, I did my own a few weeks ago too. Getting the panel off and disposing of the used oil is by far the hardest part. Crazy to pay someone $200 - $400 for it.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maggie. Hey, I thought that was you...

Yep, you were right, very straightforward. What filter do you normally use? I went with K&N's recommendation, the HP-1003, since the HP-2009 looked awfully big in comparison. I might bring back some filters from the factory in the UK while I am there this summer.

Anyway, thanks again, and great to meet you.
Mike

Told ya so! ;)

Everything really is right there in front of you once you get the panel off. :clap:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
After a lot of cajolling from LT members, I did my own a few weeks ago too. Getting the panel off and disposing of the used oil is by far the hardest part. Crazy to pay someone $200 - $400 for it.

Welcome to the club!
If you pay 200-400 for an oil change, kill yourself. You clearly have no respect for money...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Remember to check the toe link torque each time you change the oil, also do a quick inspection of other suspension fasteners.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Maggie. Hey, I thought that was you...
Yep, you were right, very straightforward. What filter do you normally use? I went with K&N's recommendation, the HP-1003, since the HP-2009 looked awfully big in comparison. I might bring back some filters from the factory in the UK while I am there this summer.
I've got the K&N HP-2009 in my car, and it fits just fine. Bigger is better, IMO :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just did my first one a week ago as well, I'd never consider taking it to a shop for that. No problem at all.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats on your success. It really is easier than people think. Get a right angle drill for the access panel and it even easier. Also, the Fumoto (QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil) valve is a great knuckle and time saver. I can now knock out an oil change in less than an hour. Oh, and don't forget the toe links...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Greetings!
The oil was black, definitely needed to be changed!
How long had it been since it had been changed? My 200K+ mile Honda oil still doesn't get black between 5000 mile changes :shrug:.
Crazy to pay someone $200 - $400 for it.
+50
Remember to check the toe link torque each time you change the oil, also do a quick inspection of other suspension fasteners.
And check the coolant U-tube. If you didn't, take the access panel off again and check it.

I've got the K&N HP-2009 in my car, and it fits just fine.
+1

·
Registered
333 Posts
:wave: Yup, I'm here!

I'm using the big one too, but I have a small one that I bought when I was getting the stuff and wasn't sure which one I needed. I had planned to return it, but it's been a while now. I'll probably just use that one next oil change.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depending on the cost, I might bring back some Lotus OEM filters from the UK. We'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts