The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I had my first race at MSR Houston with my newly acquired Stohr Formula 1000. The car felt great for the test and tune, which lasted all day Friday. Saturday started off with qualifying. Our lap times were slow all weekend long because of heavy rain. I qualified between mid to back of the field. I was a little upset because my transponder was not working right all race weekend. So my best lap time did not get received by race control. By race time it was raining very hard, and the track was really wet. Some of the drivers decided not to go out in the rain by race time. Out of the 30 cars that were signed up, only 20 decided to go out and race. I started the race in I think 14th place. After the green flag dropped I started to move up the field. By lap number 3 I had moved into 5th place overall (1st in my class). By the end of lap 3 I spun my car into turn 11. Now I had never raced in the rain before, so I learned the hard way why not to push a car under those circumstances. I could have gone out on track again, but I did something else that I should not have. I had forgotten to change the visor on my helmet from a dark tinted one (from when it was sunny) to a clear one (for use in rain). When I spun I could not see the flag station at all because of the dark tint on the visor.
Other than having to end my race early due to helmet visor problems I had a great first race weekend in the F1000.

Below I have some photos from this past race weekend. The others are from the SCCA driver's school this past December at Texas Motor Speedway driving a rental F1000.

My Car is the Black/Silver Stohr Formula 1000.
Black/Orange Stohr Formula 1000. Rental I used for the SCCA driver's school.

Also check out my driver profile on The Motorsports Group Homepage. Look for Alex Brown.

Sorry for the horizontal photos. I tried to post vertically, but just couldn't figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
What are the spec's on the car? Looks like fun.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good one Alex, looks like you're having fun now. Remember, slow in, fast out and smooth and the spins will go away.
Good luck!

You should post your write up on the LOST site. Let everyone know there is another LOST one out playing on the track.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
In my first first F2000 race in the rain, I too forgot to change my visors. rotfl

These look a lot like F2000s, are you allowed to changed wings? Double plane front and rear wings would give a lot more down force!!

Rain racing: would you believe that's how I crossed the start/finish line for my first win in the rain?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...wow - looks awesome!..

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
these f1000 cars are actually the hot set up these days., and a new class of cars that is growing nationally in SCCA.

an MC engine (gsxr 1000) which is cheap to swap out(~$5K for the best pro built ones) relative to a car motor, and very little wieght. they can beat Formula atlantic cars.
out here in AZ a few guys run the Phoenix brand of chassis made here in phoenix, and they routinely destroy the field of cars they run with(FF,FM,FC).
they also place the car in with the csr/dsr/FA, and they run up front in the hands of a skilled driver.
I have been thinking it looks like a good direction to go also, but the cars are still a bit up there in price.
some guys are starting to take FC cars and convert them to F1000.
my freind has one of these Phoenix cars, he has numerous track records all over cal/az/colorado in FA cars, and his quote is they are a great car, "but these cars can go way faster than they should be able to go"
basically they fly.
at phx international, my FF is going about 115- 120 mph max through the oval (using american racer slicks 133 compound), my friends F1000 has been verified on his data logger at 142 mph through the same turn (on the sticky goodyear 160)..............thats just plain fast.

have fun with the car.

i think the specs on these cars dry is something like 750 lbs, and ~ 180 HP

the stohr is one of the most beautiful of these cars out there IMO.
have fun with it.
post more pictures.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the spec's on the car? Looks like fun.
These are the F1000 spec's I found on the Stohr web site.

DRIVETRAIN
The F1000 will accomodate any modern
4 cylinder bike engine. Standard equipment includes a Quaife differential, aluminum radiator, and large oil cooler.

BODYWORK
The front and rear wings are made of high strength, pre-preg composite. A rear diffuser gives maximum ground effect downforce. The entire body is made from the same ultra-strong, ultra-light composite used on the Stohr WF1.

SUSPENSION
Center-lock light-weight racing wheels are standard. Goodyear tires are 8x13 front and 10x13 rear. Uprights are machined from billet aluminum, with steel sleeves installed for extra wheel bearing rigidity. Pushrod suspension is used on all 4 wheels, with a 1:1 motion ratio.

DIMENSIONS
Car Weight 800lbs. Wheelbase 99in.
Front Track 64in. Rear Track 61in.

very cool car...how many g's does it pull?

-robert
I don't know yet.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
:drool::drool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These look a lot like F2000s, are you allowed to changed wings? Double plane front and rear wings would give a lot more down force!!
I think I am allowed to change the wings to a certain extent.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ha! i've done the exact same thing! now checking the visor is early in my "pre-flight" checklist. :)
I am definitely going to have my own "pre-flight" checklist from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts