The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my new Evora 400 had a few minor issues so I thought I'd bring it in to Lotus/Astin Martin of Orlando for service @1600 mile mark. In order of importance: 2" of free play on the brake pedal combined with a lack of engagement, illuminated knobs and switches not dimming when headlights or sidelights on, snowy picture in rear view camera, transmission sounding like it's mixing concrete at lower revs and a rectangle of carpet cut out and hanging at base of right rear seat. The initial response from the dealer was "that's normal". I took their word for it concerning the tranny as I have no experience with Toyotas but it is noisy. We comparing my issues with an Evora GT on the lot and I noted that it's camera, though a little fuzzy, still had a better picture than mine. The GT also had the same issue with the switch lighting; when not engaged and burning white they do not dim but when lit up red dimming occurs. Seems counterproductive that the glaring white lights will always stay bright at night. The manual states clearly that these lights are supposed to dim to a preset level; it mentions nothing about only the red lights doing so. The dealer used this comparison to again say I didn't have a problem there. Is it the same for all Evoras and it's the manual that is at fault? The loose carpet section was shoved back in place but came loose on the way home. No one could say what the purpose of the cut out is; there didn't seem to be any access plate behind it. The tech said it was for the trunk release but as you know that's just under the seat pad. I insisted they take action on the #1 problem so the brake lines were flushed. That brought immediate improvement with an inch less of free play though they still don't feel much like performance brakes. They said they would request a new camera from Lotus but not to expect much from them so will probably be stuck with it. Opinions?

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
If the camera is broken or performing poorly you are entitled to repair or replacement. Not debatable by the dealer or Lotus. Mine works fine, or at least well enough for me to trust it completely.

It's my understanding that since the (manual) transmission is mounted transversally it requires an "extra" gear set to make the turn. I wouldn't say it sounds like concrete (actually I think it's pretty low level). In any event, the consequence is that they growl a bit with some gear whine and a bit of mechanical "presence" which seems to be more noticeable in low gears, 1st and 2nd. Frankly, that doesn't even register for me anymore; don't even hear it. Not a worry. They do indeed all do that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the camera is broken or performing poorly you are entitled to repair or replacement. Not debatable by the dealer or Lotus. Mine works fine, or at least well enough for me to trust it completely.

It's my understanding that since the (manual) transmission is mounted transversally it requires an "extra" gear set to make the turn. I wouldn't say it sounds like concrete (actually I think it's pretty low level). In any event, the consequence is that they growl a bit with some gear whine and a bit of mechanical "presence" which seems to be more noticeable in low gears, 1st and 2nd. Frankly, that doesn't even register for me anymore; don't even hear it. Not a worry. They do indeed all do that.
Good to know. Yes, it's not really loud although when the tech drove by me while testing the car, it was certainly louder from the outside. It's new to me so I'll get used to it eventually. I've been told the backup cameras are kind of crummy in all the Evoras. Not what you'd expect from a 6 figure car. Reminds of an old security camera from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This whole time I was under the assumption that the gear chatter/whine was because of lightweight flywheel. Good to learn something new...but yes, all the manuals chatter under 2k rpm in low gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts