The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that some people install a 1zz oil pan to the 2zz as they have some sort of baffle. Will installing a 1zz oil pan for the fed Elise prevent the oil stravation problem? Have an NA fed Elise with semi slicks (nankang ns-2r tires). About 2-5 track days a year.

·
Registered
282 Posts
you need to widen opening for the oil pick up of the 1zz pan to accept the 2zz oil pick up. easy to do plus 1zz pan is readily available and cheap

It depends on what you are trying to achieve by swapping in the 1zz pan. track? autocross? street? the 1zz pan does NOT have baffle but rather a simple windage tray (partition to better separate oil from spinning crank). some people think the 1zz pan actually slows the return of oil back to the sump.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
I have read that some people install a 1zz oil pan to the 2zz as they have some sort of baffle. Will installing a 1zz oil pan for the fed Elise prevent the oil stravation problem? Have an NA fed Elise with semi slicks (nankang ns-2r tires). About 2-5 track days a year.
Pros and cons.

Pro: yes it has a sort of basic windage tray in it. As los says, you need to open the hole in the tray where the oil pickup goes. Yes, it's cheap.

Con: Toyota specifically said in the tech paper they wrote on the 2ZZ-GE that they removed the baffling because it caused more windage at high RPM and interfered with drain back - remember that the 2ZZ turns significantly faster than the 1ZZ does.

There's really no substitute for a proper gated pan for track use. For street use you're not going to have a problem with the pan the engine came with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pros and cons.

Pro: yes it has a sort of basic windage tray in it. As los says, you need to open the hole in the tray where the oil pickup goes. Yes, it's cheap.

Con: Toyota specifically said in the tech paper they wrote on the 2ZZ-GE that they removed the baffling because it caused more windage at high RPM and interfered with drain back - remember that the 2ZZ turns significantly faster than the 1ZZ does.

There's really no substitute for a proper gated pan for track use. For street use you're not going to have a problem with the pan the engine came with.
Okay thanks. Thinking of this not that expensive and is probaly better than a 1zz pan? : Baffled Sump - Lotus Elise Exige 2-11 with Toyota 2ZZ Engine.
It looks almost identical to the 1zzpan. This is what they said: We developed these sumps as we had failures with the Moroso { hinged flaps stuck open }. We have used these for 10 years with no failures.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need to widen opening for the oil pick up of the 1zz pan to accept the 2zz oil pick up. easy to do plus 1zz pan is readily available and cheap

It depends on what you are trying to achieve by swapping in the 1zz pan. track? autocross? street? the 1zz pan does NOT have baffle but rather a simple windage tray (partition to better separate oil from spinning crank). some people think the 1zz pan actually slows the return of oil back to the sump.
I mostly do street driving but track my car 3-5 times a year. So thinking this might be a cheap alternative

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Okay thanks. Thinking of this not that expensive and is probaly better than a 1zz pan? : Baffled Sump - Lotus Elise Exige 2-11 with Toyota 2ZZ Engine.
It looks almost identical to the 1zzpan. This is what they said: We developed these sumps as we had failures with the Moroso { hinged flaps stuck open }. We have used these for 10 years with no failures.
I haven't heard that about the Moroso pan. I'm using a Sector 111 (Iokenetic) gPan with modifications by VSA Motorsports.

San

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
761 Posts
I have an original gPan - quite happy with it. The gPan 3 is indeed better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts