The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello good people.

Any idea on how to lower the noise from the exhaust, most tracks in Sweden & Denmark have a limit on 95db (for some boring reason, don't ask why.)

The problem is when driving at 6000+ RPM the car is around 110-120db and we are being giving the black flag :(

At the moment we have in most cases resolved this by adding a small 90° pipe to point the sound away from the tracks microphone.

Does an exhaust muffler like this one help?
3.5"4"4.5" Exhaust Muffler Exhaust Tip Removable Silencer for Acura Honda Ford | eBay

Any suggest that can help us without costing on performances or risking to damage the engine are most welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the same problem .. I had a new muffler built here in NZ that was supposed to be under 95dba ... but unfortunately not ... so looking to do something as per attached picture .
Approx 300mm long and 5" diameter
A couple of other things I have heard of but not tried ...
Have the tail pipe facing toward the ground . Apparently the sound waves disperse better if they hit the ground.
Drill some small holes in the tailpipe and thread safety wire across the pipe 4-6 times .This helps break up the sound and drop the dba.
Home | Decibel Devil has been known to work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drill some small holes in the tailpipe and thread safety wire across the pipe 4-6 times .This helps break up the sound and drop the dba.
Home | Decibel Devil has been known to work
Thanks, will order the DecibelDevil Noise reducer and let you know the result >:)

Jack, thanks for the feedback will take a look at it if the DecibelDevil doesn't work =)

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I ran across these photos of the muffler setup used at Laguna (92db weekend) …. ST-5 plus redirect pipe for extra measure -- sound station located 50 ft off the track surface on the right. ;)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts