The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought the Mercedes Mclaren SLR was too GT-like and heavy? Alright, if you can get in on the 75 of them being produced, they'll take away the roof and doors and 440lbs in the form of the SLR Speedster. This is not unlike the 2-11, so I think it would fit in with this crowd. I think this is great, going back to making actual racecars. All you need is a seat, bigol' motor and some tires and you're good to go.

Jalopnik said:
It looks like McLaren and Mercedes are completing one last project before making their break-up official (we haven't read it on our Facebook feed yet). The Mercedes McLaren SLR Speedster was recently spotted testing at the Nurburgring, looking fine in its razzle dazzle camouflage, but, the Mercedes SLC is out there too, planning to make both the slow-selling SLR and the sexy R8 obsolete in one fell swoop. What we should expect from the SLR Speedster, as well as video of its 'ring run after the jump.

The McLaren SLR Speedster, scheduled for a July 30th debut, will be 440 lb lighter than the hardtop and be limited to just 75 units. Expect the blow-out special SLR Speedster to outperform the SLR with a near 220mph top speed, but also expect the SLC to blow that figure out of the water courtesy of an impossibly powerful supercharged engine. Video of the Speedster testing on the ring below.
Souce: Mercedes McLaren SLR Speedster: Mercedes SLR McLaren Speedster Spotted Testing At the Ring, Mercedes SLC Quietly Plotting Its Demise

So what does the Lotus crowd think of this?

Q

·
0 Posts
Whenever I see that ugly car, I think of SNL's Ace and Gary... the Ambiguously Gay Duo on their "penis-like" car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not big on the looks, but I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for sweatin' oil.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thought the Mercedes Mclaren SLR was too GT-like and heavy? Alright, if you can get in on the 75 of them being produced, they'll take away the roof and doors and 440lbs in the form of the SLR Speedster.
440 lbs from what? The 4023 lbs a normal SLR roadster weighs? So it would weigh ~3600 lbs?

This is not unlike the 2-11, so I think it would fit in with this crowd. I think this is great, going back to making actual racecars. All you need is a seat, bigol' motor and some tires and you're good to go.
My opinion, but I think it's pretty far apart from a 2-11, but I've not even seen one of those in person yet. Maybe someone else can comment, but imo - those 2 cars are as far apart as chalk & cheese.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
....1950's automatic still?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
....1950's automatic still?
I was wondering the same.

It seems very wrong to have an automatic in a car like that.

What is next? Will they be cutting the roof and the windshield off of a RR Phantom next:eek:
:shift:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
440 lbs from what? The 4023 lbs a normal SLR roadster weighs? So it would weigh ~3600 lbs?

My opinion, but I think it's pretty far apart from a 2-11, but I've not even seen one of those in person yet. Maybe someone else can comment, but imo - those 2 cars are as far apart as chalk & cheese.

Cheers,
-Darryl
They share the similarity in taking a sportscar and removing everything you don't need to make it an open-cockpit racer. Don't look too hard into it; things don't need to weigh the same as the magical Elise combo to be spectacular, especially when they're pushing somewhere near 700hp, which still out hp/lb's the 2-11.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts