The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a rolled srt4 with a perfectly intact engine and trans. I was wondering if it would be cost effective to put that particular engine into an 07 exige. I have about a $10K-$15k budget for the swap. I'm looking at purchasing a used 2007 exige within the next year for this project. It will only be a weekend car for track so I'm not too concerned about driveability, but I do need it to be street legal because what's the fun in trailering it?... especially with all the s curves where I live :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I was wondering if it would be cost effective to put that particular engine into an 07 exige.
If you define cost effective as "This will effectively cost far more than I have to spend and won't give me the perceived benefit that I expect to get." then yes, it will be cost effective.

(Just kidding... Sort of.)

:wave:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it was my friends show car. It has a balance blueprinted ams built 2.4 in it with an ams stage 2 turbo the car was pushing around 500hp. It's on street fire beating a few vettes and a viper in arlington but, that's beside the point. I realize anything is possible with the right amount of engineering but, if I could pull this off for under 15k It would be a hell of an upgrade. This is doing the work myself with my friends and a few people from hpp motorsports helping me.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
That's an impressive motor!

If I had to guess, I'd say that getting the engine in and then working would cost much, much more than 15K. After you upgrade everything else in the car to be able to handle a 500 HP motor... I'd budget 90K. And then be pleasantly surprised when it only cost 87K.

But it's just a guess.

Let us know how it goes. Document EVERYTHING. Takes lots and lots of pictures.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Does your $15K budget include purchasing the engine from your friend, or is it on top of the engine purchase? If it's including the engine, I don't think it's enough. If the engine is separate, I still think you'll be a few thousand short - custom projects like this have a 99% rate of going overbudget, especially if you want it done right.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My friend has a rolled srt4 with a perfectly intact engine and trans. I was wondering if it would be cost effective to put that particular engine into an 07 exige. I have about a $10K-$15k budget for the swap. I'm looking at purchasing a used 2007 exige within the next year for this project. It will only be a weekend car for track so I'm not too concerned about driveability, but I do need it to be street legal because what's the fun in trailering it?... especially with all the s curves where I live :D
:no: you can't do it cause i'm doing it.. :evil:

anything is possible.. plausable, maybe not.. cosst effictive, only if you make your own parts lol.. soon enough i will be trying this.. started scetching plans for parts to fit, mostly suspension.. good thing is, you can probably use our trans.. bad thing is.. it sucks at 500 hp.. lol.. should have over 600+ in my srt this spring/summer.. the srt exige i have planned won't be in the works for another couple years though.. so if you do it first, screw you..rotfl

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I think it would be easy. Probably a true bolt-in swap. Let us know how it goes.

xtn

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
First off.

Why the hell buy an 07 if your going to do the motor swap.

Umm best to be the 06 NS exige bud:)

Second off.

Like somebody said earlier need to know if the budget is with the motor or without.

Also since your now buying a 06 exige and saving yourself another 5k-10k + is your budget now 20-25k>? Because than i think you can do it no problem.

Now third to all of this.

Why>?

You have a perfectly capable Toyota motor in the car already that if taken out and built can handle the 500rwhp just as well as any srt slow.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well it was my friends show car. It has a balance blueprinted ams built 2.4 in it with an ams stage 2 turbo the car was pushing around 500hp. It's on street fire beating a few vettes and a viper in arlington but, that's beside the point. I realize anything is possible with the right amount of engineering but, if I could pull this off for under 15k It would be a hell of an upgrade. This is doing the work myself with my friends and a few people from hpp motorsports helping me.
First of all, there is no such thing as an Neon show car.

Secondly, the only Vettes and Vipers he may have beat are the ones that had crappy drivers. No way a "500 hp" front wheel drive econo****box is going to run down a modern Vette or Viper.

Third, the whole idea is simply retarded. Pulling out a well balanced, reliable engine to stuff some POS from Dodge is astronomically stupid. When you up the boost those engines, the longevity drops through the floor.

I think the title to this thread should be changed to "How can I depreciate an Exige to about a third of its value without wrecking it?"

·
Registered
557 Posts
So without dismissing the idea straight out of hand, there's a few problems with it that i'd be worried about.

1: NGC controller in the SRT. are you carrying it over to the Exige? How will you do the gauges? The senders for the toymotor and all the canbus, etc goodies aren't gonna play nice together.

2: Weight. The SRT trans weighs a hair short of 200lbs. The SRT motor isn't light either. How do you plan to mitigate the weight concerns with this motor?

3: I believe the SRT motor's wider. I'll do some measuring, just to save you the trouble since I have a Stratus RT motor with a T850 literally inches from my Lotus, but i think width wise you're screwed as well.

4: The SRT coolant ends are gonna spit right into the firewall and since they're plastic, they'll be a real pain to reroute. No welding and relocating here.

5: Expect to use a different manifold, all the Neon kits i've seen have the turbo way too high.

Don't get me wrong, i think it's doable, and I don't neccesarily even question the wisdom per se. It's a lot of money to reinvent the wheel though, and at the end of the day, no matter how much power you make, you'll take crap for it being "just a neon".

Trust me, after swapping Subaru drivetrain and engine into a Neon a few years ago with my roommate, that's all we've heard since. "Why would you do that?!" I totally grasp that its the size of the hammer, not who makes it, but the questions WILL get old after a while. I warn ya now. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
First of all, there is no such thing as an Neon show car.

Secondly, the only Vettes and Vipers he may have beat are the ones that had crappy drivers. No way a "500 hp" front wheel drive econo****box is going to run down a modern Vette or Viper.

Third, the whole idea is simply retarded. Pulling out a well balanced, reliable engine to stuff some POS from Dodge is astronomically stupid. When you boost those engines, the longevity drops through the floor.

I think the title to this thread should be changed to "How can I depreciate an Exige to about a third of its value without wrecking it?"
Not defending the idea, but really? Boosting the engine kills longevity? IT'S A FACTORY BOOSTED MOTOR that they've been using since 1995! The 2.4 Turbo has damn near as many years of dev behind it as a 4G63, and if you count back to the common 2.2/2.5, even more.

Hate to say it, you're talking out your ass and laying down generalizations that you can't back up man. Sure, the cars have flaws and they're no Lotus, but there's some reasonably good tech in the motor and decent power potential. Certainly more than there is in our 2ZZ from what i've seen. Luckily most of us don't chase numbers like that.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't get me wrong, i think it's doable, and I don't neccesarily even question the wisdom per se. It's a lot of money to reinvent the wheel though, and at the end of the day, no matter how much power you make, you'll take crap for it being "just a neon".

Trust me, after swapping Subaru drivetrain and engine into a Neon a few years ago with my roommate, that's all we've heard since. "Why would you do that?!" I totally grasp that its the size of the hammer, not who makes it, but the questions WILL get old after a while. I warn ya now. :)
I dumped a Corvette LT-1 into a 928 a few years ago, but I did it for a different reason. I blew the motor and OEM parts were going to cost more than the car was worth to fix. The swap made the car a hell of a lot faster and more reliable. The electronics were the only real issue.

I took it to a Porsche show once. They could tell by the sound when I pulled up what I had done. Without even lifting the hood, they told me I could only display it with the hood closed.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not defending the idea, but really? Boosting the engine kills longevity? IT'S A FACTORY BOOSTED MOTOR that they've been using since 1995! The 2.4 Turbo has damn near as many years of dev behind it as a 4G63, and if you count back to the common 2.2/2.5, even more.

Hate to say it, you're talking out your ass and laying down generalizations that you can't back up man. Sure, the cars have flaws and they're no Lotus, but there's some reasonably good tech in the motor and decent power potential. Certainly more than there is in our 2ZZ from what i've seen. Luckily most of us don't chase numbers like that.
They are boosting it way more than stock to get it to the 500 hp mark. The engine wasn't designed for that.

Go read the SRT forums with the kids over boosting the car and blowing them up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I interpreted your statement as "turbocharging this motor impacts it's longevity". Nothing's as reliable at 2x the power as it was stock. I'd put the reasonable power ceiling on stock parts near 400, not 500 for certain. :)

Sorry i misinterpreted ya.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So this just died quickly. (Some would say for the best...)

Crankpulley to end of trans is roughly 38-40 inches on the 2.4T.
The 2zz is well under 3' long.

The Elise engine bay is 22" deep front to rear.
My 2.4t is 26" deep, turbo to peak of intake runners with a 2.0 intake manifold. The SRT manifold is deeper still.

It just plain won't fit w/o cutting the trunk out, relocating the turbo and hatch latch and fighting a lot of pain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.