The Lotus Cars Community banner

If you have a better option, please post it.

• '05 Elise w/ '00 Audi S4 Daily Driver

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • '05 Elise w/ '04 MINI Cooper S Daily Driver

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • '05 Elise w/ '04 Pick-up Truck Daily Driver

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • '90 BMW M3 w/ '00 Audi S4 Daily Driver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • '05 Elise w/ '90 BMW M3 Daily Driver

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • '04 S2000 w/ '90 BMW M3 Daily Driver

• '90 BMW M3 w/ '04 S2000 Daily Driver

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • '04 S2000 w/ '04 MINI Cooper S Daily Driver

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • '04 S2000 w/ '00 Audi S4 Daily Driver

• '04 S2000 w/ Pick-up Truck Daily Driver

• '90 BMW M3 w/ '04 MINI Cooper S Daily Driver

• '90 BMW M3 w/ '04 Pick-up Truck Daily Driver

• Close Garage Door w/ Engine Running Already

Votes: 7 9.9%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you choose to spend the money?

One car would park outside all the time and be used in all weather. The other can be protected and used sparingly.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I picked the Elise + Pickup Truck

That way, you get the best of both worlds... FUN !!! + UTILITY !!!

If I get a 2nd "car", I'll probably get a truck.

·
Registered
687 Posts
None of the above?

Personally, fun is the #1 factor for either car. I would never buy a truck or SUV, especially as a daily driver, although that Top Gear story on an old Toyota pickup has tempted me.

Taking away roughly $40k for the Elise leaves me about $25k. For all weather utility that's still fun to drive, I'd go with a WRX sedan, or a WRX wagon if you wanted more utility.

Not only would you have 2 fun cars, they would both be brand new.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes, Elise and WRX should make a nice combination. At least I hope so, because that's what I plan to be having in a year! :D If you can pad your budget slightly, make it an Elise and an STi. That would be my dream combo (within a more or less reasonable budget).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I just loved that top gear video of the Toyota truck.

For me it's the Elise and the truck (or a minivan...but then you have to have your testicles removed). By the way my second or third car is a minivan. It's used as a beater because I use it to take the dog to the vet or groomer, pick up supplies at Home Depot, and it can haul my racing kart behind it and have a ton of room for tools and stuff. It works really well for that.

If you don't do a lot of Home Depot or hauling, you may not need a truck or van. But I was able to buy a plasma TV and bring it home (it barely fit in the van!). I could not have done that with two cars.

Now I also have the Mercedes and the Alltrac (now undergoing a turbo transplant this weekend). But if I had to have two vehicles, it would be the Elise and a small truck.

P.S. You can get a Sport Tacoma which is lowered and fast.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Is this too obvious?? Park the Elise in the garage, use it as the daily driver, save the extra $20K for vacations, other toys, whatever.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
$40K for the Elise
$2K for a four-post lift
$22K for a 2000 Audi S4
$1K for a winter beater (1984 Audi 4000 Quattro is a good candiate)

That's my $0.02!

Bob K.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now

Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now . .

Discounting the wife's Passat which takes up a garage spot, I have one spot left.

It's currently got my S2k. I avoid all but sunny weather driving, due to the rubber I have.

OUTSIDE I have a Tundra (Best $24k I ever spent. Its sooooo freaking useful - seats 5 in a pinch and serves as my serious foul weather winter beast - (manual tranny, 4WD, but gets sh*t mileage)

... and a DAILY DRIVER 1990 Civic which still manages 40+ mpg and I simply don't have to worry about it. Its a true beater and a wonderful feeling not having to care about where I park it, if it gets wet, stays clean, etc. You CAN NOT have an ego and drive a car like this regularly, so its not for everyone. (I love it tho)

When the Lotus finally shows up I'll probably ditch the garage door opener, modify the door path and stack the sports cars. like Bob said, its only $2k (or a bit more depending on features)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now

jahwerx said:

It's currently got my S2k. I avoid all but sunny weather driving, due to the rubber I have.

Could you ever see yourself using an S2000 as an everyday and year-round car?

Are you going to own the S2000 AND the Elise? Aren't they sort of redundant?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Re: Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now

Hans Stuck said:
Not for me - here are my reasons:
1) I'm too anal about it - I keep it pretty sharp and I hate having to clean the exterior when I drive in the rain. I've had it almost exactly 4 years and it has not quite 24,000 miles.
2) Most of my "daily driving" is boring - I can have a bit of fun, but its pretty much a waste of the car, and racks up boring miles.

but COULD I use it as a daily driver? - sure . . . I'd just need to get a serious winter tire package for it (4 studded donut spares - HAHA)

Hans Stuck said:

Not having actually driven the Lotus - I don't know.
I can say with certainty that the S2k is one of the best sports cars I've driven (and certainly a huge value for the $$) and I love it as much today as when I took delivery of it in January 2000. At this time I simply don't have any desire to part with it. If the Lotus turns out to be everything that the S2000 is and more, there probably won't be a reason to have both over the long haul. Time will tell.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now

jahwerx said:
If the Lotus turns out to be everything that the S2000 is and more, there probably won't be a reason to have both over the long haul. Time will tell.
I wish I could afford to do the same. I will have to part with the S2000 before the Elise arrives. I will miss it, but as you said, the Elise has everything I love about the S2000 and much more.

-Eric

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Easy.

Garaged:
Elise: $39,000
MV Agusta F4S: $19,000
2004 Yamaha R1: $10,000
damn, over budget

outside:
some 1990 to 1995 beater car that I'd pick up for $2,000 to 5,000. Just needs to run well and have a/c. The rest is irrrelevant.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Re: Re: Bro - I'm in exactly the same boat now

Hans Stuck said:

I se my S2000 every day year round. Every now and then it's a pain in the ass to not have more space for stuff and/or not be able to take more people, but it's not that bad. My car is a little rough in the snow but i'm on extra wide Kumhos, with some snow tires i'm sure it would be fine; you just have to be careful.

-Steve

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, Elise and WRX should make a nice combination. At least I hope so, because that's what I plan to be having in a year! If you can pad your budget slightly, make it an Elise and an STi. That would be my dream combo (within a more or less reasonable budget).
I vote for this combo. I currently own a WRX and see the Elise as a perfect compliment to a performance oriented garage. The WRX is essentially a quick grocery getter, not a true sports cars, in my mind. The Elise only adds more fun to the equation. And you know, the WRX isn't going to be too difficult to get started on cold mornings due to Subaru's inherently good cold-weather performance. You should be able to get one used for about $20k leaving $5K for upgrades aplenty for both!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm going to get rid of the out-of-warranty Audi S4 and buy a new MINI Cooper S for daily driving. I think it'll be fun to commute to work in and it'll be comfortable enough for my needs. It'll also be decent in bad weather with FWD. The S4 has been great, but I don't really consider it "fun to drive". It's a big, heavy, brute with a ton of torque and a beautiful interior. But something is missing & for suburban errand running and commuting, it seems like too much car for the job.

If I can get $24-$25k for it, I can pick up a brand new MINI Cooper S without actually spending any money. Utility is okay with the MINI for all but big items. But the fiance has her 325xiT wagon for when we need to take extra adults or pick up a TV or big packages. Is there any reason to avoid getting a MINI?

I also think I've decided that I don't really want a convertible for daily use. Too much wind noise and I don't see myself putting the top down on the way to work in my suit.

All of this has no effect on the Elise though. It looks like I'll either stay with all BMW-built cars - OR - I'll get rid of the old E30 M3 and get the Elise (or S2000) for sunny weekend days. That will largely depend on how much someone wants to pay me for the M3.

As useful as they are, I don't really see myself as an SUV or pick-up truck driving guy. The fiance's wagon is good enough. With a tow hitch added, it could even pull a motorcycle. I don't know about towing an Elise though. Of course, the Elise is for driving, not for towing.

Anyone think there is any reason to really miss an S4?

My apologies if this is getting boring, but I'm really struggling to figure it all out. I don't want to make any decision I'll regret.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It's true that an out-of-warranty Audi S4 can be expensive to maintain. But I think you'll miss the S4 (despite it being heavy and over-the-top for your daily commute.)

The Mini Cooper S is a nice vehicle and handles like a go-cart, but I think you'll get tired of it on longer commutes and road-trips. I know... you can use the fiancee's BMW. But what if she's using it or it's not available?

My mom's neighbors have a Mini Cooper and they like it quite a bit... but they don't use it for anything other than in-town commutes. They admit that the ride is a bit choppy and for any trip taking longer than an hour, they'll use their other car. (I have no idea what the "other" car is.)

From a practical standpoint, I'd say keep the S4 because it does everything well and doubles as a refined sedan that you can take on long road-trips if need be. If you're tired of the S4 and worry about the warranty, someone else mentioned a WRX. It's less refined, lighter on it's feet (compared to the S4) and can be had new for about what you can sell the S4 for. And you'll get the manufacturer's warranty to cover the car.

If I were you, I'd spend the $99 a day and rent a Mini Cooper for an extended weekend or a full week. That way you can determine for yourself if you can live with such a vehicle on a daily basis.

Bob K.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts