The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from deployment and went to my first autox with friends and my grirlfriend.
My girlfriend and I shared the car and as I have a broken clavical, I was able to drive the first series, but only could do 3 of my 6 laps on the second set. They were nice enough to give her my remaining laps but she complained of brake fad at the end of her sessions and on the way home. (she ran back to back laps, about 9 laps at the Tire Rack course)

I am running Sector Ultradisks and SFR brake fluid and Carbontech RC+5 pads.

If we had not been sharing the car/or doing back to back laps would this still be a issue or do I need to get my front brakes vented?

I have a VF2 that is tweaked out and speed were high for us on the medium size track. She was also the Fastest female of the day and the second fastest in our class

Any help would be great

Darrin Cash

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I have never experienced fade on an SCCA track, I have experienced ICE mode once. The brakes were normal a couple seconds later.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was the fastest female and only 6 out of 22 guys beat her out of the whole field. It was a full throttle, full brake course setup.

I'll just wait to see how the next one goes before changing anything

·
He's on fire!
3,220 Posts
Don't have experience with those pads, but I'd think you'd be hard pressed to get the pads hot enough on an AutoX to experience fade unless you had your foot on the brake through the entire course. Is the RC5 a race compound? Maybe you never got them up to temp, or didn't bed them properly if they require a bed process?

When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed? It might be a good idea to do a bleed and see if you've got any air bubbles in the lines.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't get brake fad and I am running the same pads and have done 30+ minute track sessions with 120-30 MPH braking.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Like I said, I will have to wait til the next autox and see how it goes.

I had TJ Waszak install all new Ultra Disks, SS brake lines, SFR brake fluid and the RCS pads at the same time and the owner bed the brakes in for me. (about 2 weeks prior to the race with no hard runs in bettween)

I was in too much pain to drive the car after my 8th lap (2nd or 3rd of second set) so I just had to go by what she was saying after doing 9 back to back laps and then driving me home.

She used to autox her BMW, Integra and Vette so she has experiance and put on a fantastic showing at the autox. She didnt mention the brakes till on the way home, about 45 mins into the trip she said they were feeling normal again.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noproblem with the brakes, they werre just squealing some.

So joy of being on massive pain killers and missing the main part of her explaination.

Thanks to all that chimed in

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The only things I can think of are, air in the lines, old fluid that has absorbed moisture, very slight leak somewhere in the system.
I have never experienced brake fade in an autocross!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts