The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What accounts for the 165 lb difference between the base spec 2-Eleven and the launch spec besides the supercharger?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Where are you seeing the weights and what are they? You may bee seeing dry weight for the base car and curb weight for the launch edition.

I found this and it is not that clear but it looks like the weight is no where near that different. I don't see how there could be that much of a difference.

Lotus entry-level 2-Eleven

The entry level car, which at 720 kg (1600 lbs) epitomises the Lotus "performance through lightweight" mantra, is powered by the naturally aspirated, high revving 190 PS (189 hp, 141 kw) engine from the Elise R. This 2-Eleven even in its most basic specification shows a remarkable turn of pace with the sprint to 60 mph taking just 4.3 seconds and achieving a top speed of 140 mph (225 km/h). With the introduction of the naturally aspirated model and upgrade options, there are now many permutations that 2-Eleven can be ordered in, giving an incredible opportunity to create individual customer bespoke cars – in theory no two cars need be the same! The full Lotus paint palette including Lifestyle colours, Metallic colours and Premium colours is available to further customise the 2-Eleven (a full list of 2008 options is attached along with a UK and EU price list). The Launch colour scheme along with the Red Scorpion, Orange Bobcat, Yellow Hornet and Green Dragon schemes are all available as a cost option. The 255 PS supercharged engine as featured on the Launch Edition is retained as an option, which lowers the zero to 60 mph time to a staggering 3.8 seconds with 0-100 km/h in 4.0 seconds. The addition of the supercharger increases torque to 242 Nm (179 lb.ft), offering greater flexibility for sensational in gear acceleration and an increase in top speed to 150 mph (241 km/h).

The entry level and launch edition are available with the incredibly popular UK SVA option pack, making it possible for owners to drive to a circuit, race around all day and drive home in the evening without the hassle and expense of a trailer. This option is definitely worth ticking. It is also now possible to get these 2-Elevens road registered in a number of markets around the world using the relevant territory specific registration approval process.

The light weight of the 2-Eleven translates into Lightning turn-in and intoxicating performance, providing a very addictive tonic. In entry level specification with the order box for the carbon fibre body ticked, the 2-Eleven comes in at a featherweight kerb mass of 700 kg (1540 lbs), which equates to a dry weight of just 648 kg (1430 lbs).

·
Registered
270 Posts
a featherweight kerb mass of 700 kg (1540 lbs), which equates to a dry weight of just 648 kg (1430 lbs).
I wonder what those 52 kg of weight difference between kerb an dry weight are ?
I always thought it was the total weight of all the liquid (gasoline, brake fluids, oil, etc) in the car. But considering the fact, that a full tank of gasoline only weighs about 20 kg max (depends on the temperature), I wonder what other liquid is in the car ?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wonder what those 52 kg of weight difference between kerb an dry weight are ?
I always thought it was the total weight of all the liquid (gazoline, brake fluids, oil, etc) in the car. But considering the fact, that a full tank of gazoline only weighs about 20 kg max (depends on the temperature), I wonder what other liquid is in the car ?!
That's not completely correct. Gas has a unit mass of 0.72 kg/l. With 43.5 l fuel you would get 31.3kg (68.9lbs). I could well imagine that all the additional fluids weighs about 20kg.

Frank

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's not completely correct. Gas has a unit mass of 0.72 kg/l. With 43.5 l fuel you would get 31.3kg (68.9lbs). I could well imagine that all the additional fluids weighs about 20kg.

Frank
Thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Patrick,

The weights are from Lotus Cars USA: Lotus 2-Eleven
Hello Noah,

Yes, they are quoting dry for the base and curb for the launch.

And at a mere 670 kg dry weight with base specification (745 kg KW with launch specification)
I don't know why they would do that...

The more I think about it the more I doubt these numbers. I think something it not right. the 670kg dry is too high for the non SC 2-Eleven. The SC 2-Eleven is about 670KG dry. I think they are not talking about the non SC 2-Eleven on the Lotus USA site. I don't think they offer that car in the USA so I don't know why they would have it on the site.

I would think they SC version should be about 20KG more than the Non SC car at the most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts