The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the USA and considering purchasing a track 2 eleven. however as awesome as it would be to have a 100% track car the thoughts of the very liberal kit car laws for my state (NC) have been swirling through my brain. I guess my questions are as follows, since there was a street legal version made in the uk could a USA 2 eleven be converted to that same spec and registered as a kit car? the main questions I have are more mechanical, on the USA cars are all the provisions there i.e. mounting brackets and wiring harnesses underneath a headlight less clam? also it looks like they used the Exige lights is this correct? I used to own an Exige and did all my own maintenance on it and am a mechanic by trade. the conversion doesn't look that bad but where are you guys sourcing 2 eleven parts they seem very hard to find,obviously most are exige parts but the ones that aren't where do you get those?
thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Might be easier to start with an Elise and convert towards a 211

You would have a VIN.

·
Registered
849 Posts
They really dont make ideal road cars, 2-Elevens are much better suited to the track.
Even in Europe, where 2-Elevens can be road legal in some countries, owners tend to do very limited mileage on the road.
Yes, been there, done it ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
While you can probably get plates for the car, it will still be illegal on the federal level

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
random question does anyone know if the non street legal 2 elevens came with a for off road use only title? or no title?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
random question does anyone know if the non street legal 2 elevens came with a for off road use only title? or no title?
They were delivered with a Manufacturers "Certificate of Origin For Vehicle" which stated ….

"THIS VEHICLE IS NOT LEGAL FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE. COMPETITION OR TRACK USE ONLY"

Also, original owners were notified and had to acknowledge that, under Federal Law, driving the car on a public highway subjected them to a $10,000/day fine and confiscation of the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts