The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought you all might enjoy this video of 2 tennents at my shop plaqying with their McLarens on track at opening day of Autobahn Country Club.

Enjoy!!

T.J. Waszak

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanks for posting. Ferrari and Lambo have NOTHING on these cars. If I was a guy that was in the uber-high end market, Id get the Mac without even thinking twice about it.

:bow: :UK:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Crap compared to a Ferrari 458. Almost Every review say's no comparison
I dunno about that - Top Gear seemed to think it went around their test track with better control and the Stig also had a hotter lap with it than the 458.

The Ferrari wins with badge recognition. Styling is subjective but both cars look good. Id argue that the 458's rear section looks a little confused but the front is great. The Mac looks like the standard, cab-forward modern supercar.

Is "Crap" really the right word to use here? Geesh. Seems a little harsh and unwarranted. But, its all subjective anyways I guess. :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry for the off topic question twaszak1, but do you know what make & model camera was used for the video? Thanks

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont Stan. Sorry. I know our one tennent has really high end cameras and I believe one of his cams was used. If I remember I will ask.

thanks,
T.J.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I dunno about that - Top Gear seemed to think it went around their test track with better control and the Stig also had a hotter lap with it than the 458.

The Ferrari wins with badge recognition. Styling is subjective but both cars look good. Id argue that the 458's rear section looks a little confused but the front is great. The Mac looks like the standard, cab-forward modern supercar. Is "Crap" really the right word to use here? Geesh. Seems a little harsh and unwarranted. But, its all subjective anyways I guess. :confused:
Check some of the online video...most drivers reviews are not fans of how it drives. Too much with the computers trying to do everything. Even when disabled it wasn't a drivers car. It looks like the a uglier version if the Lotus Evora.

Fifth Gear - McLaren MP4-12c vs Ferrari 458 Italia - YouTube

"The MP4-12C finished second behind the Ferrari 458 Italia in Car Magazine's July 2011 group test. It was also beaten into third by the Porsche 911 GT2 RS in the lap times set at Rockingham Speedway by racing driver Ben Collins.[17] At an EVO magazine test it was over a second slower than the Ferrari around the Bedford Autodrome West track,[18] it was also slower in Fifth Gear and Car Magazine"

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fun fact: The brain experiences emotion first then uses the frontal lobe (prefrontal cortex) to rationalize that emotion in defense.

Main Point, it's not worth debating.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Fun fact: The brain experiences emotion first then uses the frontal lobe (prefrontal cortex) to rationalize that emotion in defense.

Main Point, it's not worth debating.
Then there's little fun and the thread would just die quickly..this gives it new life :D

This is how people learn more about the cars, friendly debates

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Check some of the online video...most drivers reviews are not fans of how it drives. Too much with the computers trying to do everything. Even when disabled it wasn't a drivers car. It looks like the a uglier version if the Lotus Evora.

Fifth Gear - McLaren MP4-12c vs Ferrari 458 Italia - YouTube

"The MP4-12C finished second behind the Ferrari 458 Italia in Car Magazine's July 2011 group test. It was also beaten into third by the Porsche 911 GT2 RS in the lap times set at Rockingham Speedway by racing driver Ben Collins.[17] At an EVO magazine test it was over a second slower than the Ferrari around the Bedford Autodrome West track,[18] it was also slower in Fifth Gear and Car Magazine"
That was Fifth Gear, not Top Gear. The Stig ran a faster lap in the Mac.

As for computers trying to do everything - Thats been the Ferrari Mantra for 10 years now! C'mon... their cars are the ones that barely require you to steer. They are the ones that got rid of true manual transmissions. I dunno - pot calling the kettle black or something like that comes to mind here.

Different drivers will get different results at diffrent tracks. All the cars mentioned are beastly performers.

Just nice to see our buddies acorss the pond make a great supercar that performs right with the Italian stuff. Much like for years and years Lotus made faster and better performing cars than the Italians. I root for McLaren for this reason. :UK:

Then there's little fun and the thread would just die quickly..this gives it new life :D

This is how people learn more about the cars, friendly debates
Sure thing - this is good fun. So what if Im irrational sometimes? :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
These cars are showing up more and more, I saw one at Motor Sports Ranch in Houston on Sunday at a track day. First one I have seen outside of photos, what a beautiful car and it was in the metallic orange. The driver was being conservative ( and I understand why) but this thing obviously handled quite well, and the acceleration,,, oh my.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
These cars are showing up more and more, I saw one at Motor Sports Ranch in Houston on Sunday at a track day. First one I have seen outside of photos, what a beautiful car and it was in the metallic orange. The driver was being conservative ( and I understand why) but this thing obviously handled quite well, and the acceleration,,, oh my.
Good to hear that they are showing up. Im glad that someone with the resources required to secure such a car are figuring the Mac into the equation. Of course, most of those folks can probably buy the Mac, The 458 AND a new Lambo too. :bow:

But, the fact that the Macs are finding themselves in some of the hermedically sealed garages across the USA is great news.

This is the reason why I feel the new Esprit can also join the club. People shopping for these cars arent restricted to one or the other - they buy one of each. They wont ever replace their Italian cars with a Lotus or a Mac, they'll ADD the Mac and Lotus to the arsenal. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
The only comparisons for any vehicle like these is for individual results - I really can't see how you can generalize the complete package of either car.

They are different - different people get different results.

I would much rather have the Mac as I love the styling inside and out, not that I would turn away a 458 - I just wouldn't purchase one. Personal Preference.

--J

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If I was in that market, I'd buy the one that I'd love best. Based on looks, handling, interior, acceleration or whatever rocks my boat.

But the one thing I'm sure wouldn't make me change my mind is... lap times from pro drivers driving on closed course on tracks I will never drive on. That's just me.

I have a 996tt X50 and people ask why I didn't buy a GTR instead? It's faster around the Nurburgring by 20sec. So what? I don't drive the Ring and even if I did, I doubt being 20sec slower would change anything in my life as I'm not paid to set lap times in cars... Plus the GTR is some 30,000$ more! :D

With that said, I didn't drive the 458 or MP4, but based on looks alone, I much prefer the 458. :cool:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If I was in that market, I'd buy the one that I'd love best. Based on looks, handling, interior, acceleration or whatever rocks my boat.

But the one thing I'm sure wouldn't make me change my mind is... lap times from pro drivers driving on closed course on tracks I will never drive on. That's just me.

I have a 996tt X50 and people ask why I didn't buy a GTR instead? It's faster around the Nurburgring by 20sec. So what? I don't drive the Ring and even if I did, I doubt being 20sec slower would change anything in my life as I'm not paid to set lap times in cars... Plus the GTR is some 30,000$ more! :D

With that said, I didn't drive the 458 or MP4, but based on looks alone, I much prefer the 458. :cool:
Thats actually a pretty good way to look at it. The GTR guys always harp on Nurburgring/Track Day times but those mean something to only about .000002% of the population. To the rest of us, its a very fast Nissan and just doesnt have any of the intangibles that a Porsche, ferrari, Lotus, whatever other cars have. The styling for such a car(GTR) is a disappointment too, IMO.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thats actually a pretty good way to look at it. The GTR guys always harp on Nurburgring/Track Day times but those mean something to only about .000002% of the population.
I'd go further and argue that close to no-one from the GTR boards (or any board really) would even be able to lap a stock GTR under 8min at the Ring. And it really doesn't matter. As long as the owner enjoys his car. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts