The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
What is your application? (Why). There are race cars pushing double stock power that still have the 2 pot fronts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Agreed. I'd rather spend the money on the smaller piston AP Racing 5316 or 5317 and stick with the lighter setup. Plenty of brake.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone using the AP Racing 5316 with the 38.1mm piston in the rear rather than the 44mm piston used in the OEM fronts? Curious about brake bias with the 5316 in the rear and the OEM in the front on an 07 Exige S?

·
Registered
837 Posts
With the 5317, it is a little bit too much rear bias, probably 5316 is close to be perfect. I am using 5317 with pressure reducing.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I ordered the 5316 from the UK, haven’t received them yet, but will report back when I get them. All ready for the install.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I ordered the 5316 from the UK, haven’t received them yet, but will report back when I get them. All ready for the install. View attachment 1258020
I think your rotors are on the wrong side of the car. The internal veins are typically curved in the opposite direction of the slots on the surface to reduce the chance of cracking.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
They are Wilwood MC4, made my own bracket with the help from Elise/Europa who frequents this forum. I have lots more pictures if you would like.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I think your rotors are on the wrong side of the car. The internal veins are typically curved in the opposite direction of the slots on the surface to reduce the chance of cracking.
I know what you are saying, but no, they are on the right way. The veins travel on a different path compare to the slots.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
They are Wilwood MC4, made my own bracket with the help from Elise/Europa who frequents this forum. I have lots more pictures if you would like.
Are you guys able to make more brackets easily if other forum members were interested? I like this lighter weight solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Are you guys able to make more brackets easily if other forum members were interested? I like this lighter weight solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made mine by hand, using my drill press to drill holes around the perimeter and then finish them off with a file. Used 1/4" aluminum plate. It's a fair bit of work, but they turned out OK. Wouldn't want to make a whole bunch of these, and your hole pattern would change with different rotor diameters.
Elise/Europa supplied me with a print for the brackets, had to change them slightly, suspect he is using bigger diameter rotors. If he is OK with me sharing his information, I will be more than happy to.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I made mine by hand, using my drill press to drill holes around the perimeter and then finish them off with a file. Used 1/4" aluminum plate. It's a fair bit of work, but they turned out OK. Wouldn't want to make a whole bunch of these, and your hole pattern would change with different rotor diameters.
Elise/Europa supplied me with a print for the brackets, had to change them slightly, suspect he is using bigger diameter rotors. If he is OK with me sharing his information, I will be more than happy to.
View attachment 1258056
No problem for giving or using the bracket drawing.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
@CRG53 Which part number did you order? Wilwood's site has several with mostly all the same specs.

Also once you made the adapter plate where there any other fitment issues?
Did the stock handbrake cable connect right up? No need to shorten or modify it?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
@CRG53 Which part number did you order? Wilwood's site has several with mostly all the same specs.

Also once you made the adapter plate where there any other fitment issues?
Did the stock handbrake cable connect right up? No need to shorten or modify it?
I bought the calipers off Amazon.ca, there were 3 different colours, that's the only difference I know of for the MC4.
You have to first add a 1/8" shim to the caliper, as it will not fit over the rotor. You have to fit washers between the adapter plate and the upright, and also between the caliber and the plate.
The stock hand brake cable will work, but you have to modify the lever, the 2 pictures below show before and after, it does involve cutting and welding.

See THIS LINK for Elise/Europa's instructions.

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is the procedure I did few months ago after few questions from few interested owners. I changed the brake pads at the end of last year for less friction type. Maybe I will look to have more spring preload since the cables are tight (I have new cable now). I melted the plastic bushing at the race track... the disc run pretty hot (more than 1000 deg F), and the caliper are for street. It is a lot more efficient as a parking brake than OEM.

The pads I installed are 150-8990K (BP-10), the one coming on the caliper are 150-7646 (Sintered Metallic).

I have two plate for 295mm disc, I can mail them for the shipping cost. I did use anymore those bracket since I now have custom upright at the rear with new brackets.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts