The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Los Angeles (Touring Pack) stereo. I have noticed the CD skipping when I hit bumps. One CD even skipped when I went over the lane-marker nubs.:confused: Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, has anyone played music from a MultiMedia Card using the card slot? In particular I was wondering if anyone has tried using a large (1 gigabyte) card? It would be nice to put a load of music on a card that would always stay in the car.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
My CD player (LA model too) has been skipping; I don't view this as a normal thing at all. It's a warranty issue that I'll be taking up with my dealer. I've had rougher riding cars than this with non-skipping CD players, this is not normal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atyclb said:
was it a music CD or a data CD?
Music CD's. The worst offender was a music CD I made. But the commercially produced ones skiped as well. I guess I'll have to make a data CD and try that.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Do you guys have the LSS? I'm thinking the skipping may not happen on an Honda Accord, but with the Elise being a stiffer car, maybe someone at Lotus HQ should have factored that in.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is expected. You really shouldn't hear any skipping when listening to MP3s because the player can buffer more of the song. I beleive CDs are 1200kbps, and most MP3s are 128kbps. So, if the cd player can buffer the same amount of data, it will be able to buffer 10 times the length of a song with MP3s. If MP3 discs skip, it's probably because it was scratched, or there is a very serious problem with your cd player.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
usofrob said:
I beleive CDs are 1200kbps, and most MP3s are 128kbps.
Even better.. CDs are 44100 * 2 * 16 bps: 1411.2kbps, about the same rate as a "T1" data line.

So you got that working for you.. plus MP3 CDs are read as CD-ROM data, which has all different ECC and overhead structure, and there are many buffer stages between the laser and the audio signal. It has time to try re-reading.

Anyone know how much CD buffering memory the Blaupunkt units have?

The down side is that significant damage will totally blow the MP3 file, while an audio CD might still play.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
No skipping here...it did it a bit the first day or two though then it went away. LSS, LTS, AD07, AO48s have been on the car and they don't affect the skipping or lack thereof. Maybe your unit is sick. The head units can be swapped out very quickly if the need arises.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Do you guys have the LSS? I'm thinking the skipping may not happen on an Honda Accord, but with the Elise being a stiffer car, maybe someone at Lotus HQ should have factored that in.
I don't have LSS. The player didn't skip at first, now it's skipping. I need to test it with more CDs though.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Re: 2 questions about the stereo

Miguel said:
I have a 1 GB SanDisk SD card and works great.

I thought it took only the Multimedia card. I didn't realize that an SD card could be used as well.

It seems shat the skipping problem resolved for some. I have not tried the CD player since day one, so I will try it again. If the problem continues, I will have it looked at during the first service.

Thanks to all for your help.:bow:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts