The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi new to this forum, this might be kind of long so if you dont like reading click away.
I know off the bat many of you may think i am too young and spoiled, but i have saved my own money for a few years and i am now in the market for either a nissan 370z(2009-10) or lotus elise(2005-6) :D . currently i drive one of those "low and slow" "hellaflush" cars so ride and comfort isn't THAT much of a factor to me, but now i am looking for something quicker and more functional.
i am just looking for opinions as to why YOU think i should get a nissan 370z or a lotus elise.
also some random questions
-how are the safety/crash ratings on the elise?
-this will be my daily driver, will i be leaving my car with a bruised ass? people seem to make a big deal out of how bad the seats are.
-INSURANCE, What should i expect to pay if it were under my name?What should i expect to pay if it were under my dads name? I have a clean record (knock on wood) and live in long island new york.

Thanks peeps:sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Please read some of the advice in "WTB: Lotus Elise 2005 / 2006 *Serious Buyer*". Rather than re-posting the information found there, the information applies to you as well.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
insurance: $2k a year
are you in college?
do you have a spot to park where people might not accidentally scratch your car when parking?
Would you have another car for the winter?
How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please read some of the advice in "WTB: Lotus Elise 2005 / 2006 *Serious Buyer*". Rather than re-posting the information found there, the information applies to you as well.
i checked that thread out but nothing really answered what i was looking for, just looking for opinions

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
insurance: $2k a year
are you in college?
do you have a spot to park where people might not accidentally scratch your car when parking?
Would you have another car for the winter?
How much are you looking to spend?
yes i am in college and for the most part i park in the back of the lot where most of the guys who like their cars park lol.
this would be my daily driver, but so what winters dont get that harsh here i just wont drive it if it snows or is icy.
for the price i would like to top out at 25k but will go a couple more for the right car.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The Elise is really not a daily driver. It can be used that way, but it doesn't like traffic, very hot weather, very cold weather, too much rain, snow, ice and small arms fire. It is not really a good car for someone who needs a car, it is more toy than car, though an extremely fun toy!

I would say since you are thinking about the Nissan 370z, why not a BMW Z4 hardtop/roadster. It is quick, safe, fun, sturdy, and can be used year round. Drive it for five years, take good care of it and learn to work on it. Then you are ready for the Elise. Another great daily driver is a 987 Pirache Boxster S. they are reliable and sturdy, can also be driven year round, and have Elise performance with only a slight reduction in overall handling. I would definitely go for a Pirsche as your first sport car over the Elise, again, as a learning experience!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help keep it coming! as for the z4 and the boxster MikeinAlexandria i was never really a fan of porsches styling and everyone of my freinds or family that owns a bmw is having problems with it! i would be all over a 335 if that wasnt the case...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the EXACT same story. I'm 19 and was debating whether to get a 370z or an elise. I had a 350z for 2 years and loved that car. I sold it and saved a lot of money and started looking for 370zs and lotus's. I couldnt really make the decision between one or the other so to open up my search criteria I just decided to go with the first one of either that I found a really good deal on. That ended up being an elise! I bought it not too long ago and had it put in straight in the shop for mods and paint and because I needed to find a hardtop for it. So I haven't even driven it yet:/ I live in Florida though, so weather isn't a problem for making it a daily driver. The only problem I can see having is that the speed bumps in my college are huge, and getting over them in the z was bad so I might be walking a lot more with the Elise haha. I'd say go with either one, I wouldn't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nows the time to get one kid.. everyone should look back.. after wife and kids.. and have a great car to remember.
Your insurance will be obscene, think 3 to 4k per year. My 350z costs half what my elise does in insurance. If you have access to any other car as a backup or daily driver that would be a good thing.
By the way, here's a beauty in Tennessee ion ebay(redone to look like an exige) on ebay..
Lotus : Elise Touring, exige body in Lotus | eBay Motors

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why do people keep saying speed bumps are an issue? If you don't lower your car you can get over any bumps a 3 series can get over easily.

Can someone explain, "low and slow" "hellaflush" I'm behind in my ghetto speak and its really hampering my enjoyment of this thread.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
hi new to this forum, this might be kind of long so if you dont like reading click away.
I know off the bat many of you may think i am too young and spoiled, but i have saved my own money for a few years and i am now in the market for either a nissan 370z(2009-10) or lotus elise(2005-6) :D
I'm very impressed that you were able to save up your own money for a car by the age of 20, meanwhile simultaneously also being able to independently support yourself with all of your other living expenses, such as rent/mortgage (and associated school/property taxes, your utilities, etc.), college tuition, your current car, auto insurance, food, etc. How did you do that??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the EXACT same story. I'm 19 and was debating whether to get a 370z or an elise. I had a 350z for 2 years and loved that car. I sold it and saved a lot of money and started looking for 370zs and lotus's. I couldnt really make the decision between one or the other so to open up my search criteria I just decided to go with the first one of either that I found a really good deal on. That ended up being an elise! I bought it not too long ago and had it put in straight in the shop for mods and paint and because I needed to find a hardtop for it. So I haven't even driven it yet:/ I live in Florida though, so weather isn't a problem for making it a daily driver. The only problem I can see having is that the speed bumps in my college are huge, and getting over them in the z was bad so I might be walking a lot more with the Elise haha. I'd say go with either one, I wouldn't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
thats awesome lol! please pm on how you like it when you get it back. also with the 350 was theyre anything you didnt like being that its similar to the 370.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nows the time to get one kid.. everyone should look back.. after wife and kids.. and have a great car to remember.
Your insurance will be obscene, think 3 to 4k per year. My 350z costs half what my elise does in insurance. If you have access to any other car as a backup or daily driver that would be a good thing.
By the way, here's a beauty in Tennessee ion ebay(redone to look like an exige) on ebay..
Lotus : Elise Touring, exige body in Lotus | eBay Motors
exactly! as for insurance how much lower do u think it will be if its under my dads name?

that elise is beautiful and price is good but TN is too far:wallbang:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
'
Why do people keep saying speed bumps are an issue? If you don't lower your car you can get over any bumps a 3 series can get over easily.

Can someone explain, "low and slow" "hellaflush" I'm behind in my ghetto speak and its really hampering my enjoyment of this thread.
lol a hellaflush or "stanced" car is when the car is lowered to the point where you scrape everywhere and your wheel and tire combo has to sit flush with the fenders, may not make sense to some but looks good on any car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
thats awesome lol! please pm on how you like it when you get it back. also with the 350 was theyre anything you didnt like being that its similar to the 370.
Honestly no, it was a great car. I loved the way it drove, the way it sounded and it was pretty comfortable. The only reason i sold it was because it was getting old. It was a 2003 and the seats were leather and starting to crack just typical wear and tear and the miles were getting to the point where it would be hard to sell it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Regarding Insurance, it may make some difference but insurance companies blend the rate based on drivers in the household, so it may not make too much difference. You can get firm quotes though, so you can find that out now if you want to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To both young men wanting a Lotus...

I say NO!
I waited until AFTER my 21st birthday to buy a new Lotus, you should too, if for no other reason than my fragile ego... :D

Long, long ago... (back when the Beatles were still together) while I was studying language in Monterey, CA I got wind of a new Lotus that had just been introduced. My stepfather had taken a pass on my request for an Elan a couple of years earlier, but now I was on my own and had a meager income. I worked out a deal to buy what was purported to be the third Europa delivered to the west coast of these United States of America. I've never regretted the decision despite the hardship I endured paying for it and maintaining it.

True, a Lotus isn't supposed to be a daily driver. Anything that fast and light is in a continuous process of rattling apart. I was fortunate enough to qualify for sanely priced insurance. "Normal" insurance companies either wouldn't touch it or wanted Corvette prices.

As an "only car" it had good and bad points... no trunk or storage space to speak of, difficult for pregnant wife (this came later) to get in/out of, almost daily checks for loose parts. But it was exotic, got pretty good mileage, and was incredible to drive.

But a Lotus isn't an image car, it's a drivers car. It probably won't kill you but it may allow you some pain and suffering if you get (or already are) stupid.

Four careers, three wives, 45 years later I still have the car and am starting a resto/upgrade so my boys will have it easy when they get the car. Stay tuned for more on that...

So carefully consider what you're getting into; it's not just "a car."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say NO!
I waited until AFTER my 21st birthday to buy a new Lotus, you should too, if for no other reason than my fragile ego... :D

Long, long ago... (back when the Beatles were still together) while I was studying language in Monterey, CA I got wind of a new Lotus that had just been introduced. My stepfather had taken a pass on my request for an Elan a couple of years earlier, but now I was on my own and had a meager income. I worked out a deal to buy what was purported to be the third Europa delivered to the west coast of these United States of America. I've never regretted the decision despite the hardship I endured paying for it and maintaining it.

True, a Lotus isn't supposed to be a daily driver. Anything that fast and light is in a continuous process of rattling apart. I was fortunate enough to qualify for sanely priced insurance. "Normal" insurance companies either wouldn't touch it or wanted Corvette prices.

As an "only car" it had good and bad points... no trunk or storage space to speak of, difficult for pregnant wife (this came later) to get in/out of, almost daily checks for loose parts. But it was exotic, got pretty good mileage, and was incredible to drive.

But a Lotus isn't an image car, it's a drivers car. It probably won't kill you but it may allow you some pain and suffering if you get (or already are) stupid.

Four careers, three wives, 45 years later I still have the car and am starting a resto/upgrade so my boys will have it easy when they get the car. Stay tuned for more on that...

So carefully consider what you're getting into; it's not just "a car."
thanks for the input!:bow:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts