The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just told me he got a 2000 Lotus Elise with 5800 miles on it. I don't have all of the details yet, but what class would this car run in?

He says it weighs around 1500lbs?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Mod class.
Someone used to run one from the bay area. Prepared????

Can it run in XP?

Certainly not Stock or Street Prepared.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Yes, it was in BMOD. Which no longer exists. Sucks.

2004 National Tour San Diego
Patrick Jones 2000 Lotus Elise B-MOD

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Randy - I knew I could count on you for answer.

Even though its still not exactly clear. -poke-

He is racing with me on Saturday so I guess it will be the local SCCA club that decides. Right now he is registered in SS. I have no idea how my car will fair against his.

It seems he has less hp but also less weight. I think my only advantage will be that he is not running on slicks for this race and I will be.

Should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
This is interesting, I wonder what class the federal cars can run in, there never seems to be a good answer.

It seems like: yes you can but you need a cage, a extinguisher system with the switch outside the car, the battery kill switch on the outside, a cage, racing seats? w belts, a fuel cell? and who the heck knows what else, it sure would be nice if they had a easy way to get into it I think they'd have a lot more interest. I know its all for safety but its just not something that anyone can do. what a PIT*!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
The classing for federal cars is quite clear. What are you wondering about?

There is no way the 2000 Elise is legal for SS, it does not fit the class except perhaps in performance. In other words, it may be a competitive fit. But it is not legal.

If I was classing that car locally, I would put it in XP.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...federal cars are still SS for the time being...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
This is interesting, I wonder what class the federal cars can run in, there never seems to be a good answer.

It seems like: yes you can but you need a cage, a extinguisher system with the switch outside the car, the battery kill switch on the outside, a cage, racing seats? w belts, a fuel cell? and who the heck knows what else, it sure would be nice if they had a easy way to get into it I think they'd have a lot more interest. I know its all for safety but its just not something that anyone can do. what a PIT*!
Ahh... you are talking about SCCA road racing, not solo. You don't need any of that in solo.

Road racing does have safety requirements way past solo and they make sense for road racing. It is dangerous and stuff happens.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ahh ok I see, I'm not arguing against safety equipment, I would say one should just buy a cup car for that!

So is the cup car ready for SCCA road racing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts