The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was running fine, shut off. Back 6 hours later turn key engine only turns over no firing. Told by local garage,(not Lotus guys) belt is broke. Took home loosened both cam covers and verified belts do not move. Belts are not very tight, but on cam gears. Is this an intermediate cam bolt came loose problem? What is the fix procedure? Engine out? or pull heads in car?

Glenn

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
I’m sorry to say but if belts are on and tight and not turning, that’s definitely intermediate shaft bolt.

To repair, at minimum the engine needs to come out heads need to be redone with some valves replaced.

Although you might as well do a full rebuild once you are there to address other potential failure points like cast pistons and liner sealant.

And lock the intermediate shaft pulleys like I do with every engine out.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Yes but. If you are doing this much work you should consider pulling the motor. Especially because of this type of failure. You MUST understand exactly why this happened and you may not be able to fully appreciate the problem without pulling the motor to get a good look at the front of the motor. It will depend a lot on the mechanic doing this job and his decision as to the best approach.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can the heads come off without removing the engine???
I think that depends on what head bolts/studs were used. I've been told that if you still have the stock style 'bolts' you can remove head in car, but if they have been changed to ARB 'studs', there is not enough clearance past the studs to remove head. At this point with a fair amount of unknowns with the car I would just remove it. I am just finishing up a full rebuild and it is a big job for sure, but the rule is...'If more than one big job to do, just pull it out'. Plus, it will make it easier to pin the IMS so it doesn't slip again. Gonzo can do this for you as well.
It will take a high level of skill to get it right. If I would have had the option I would have just sent mine to Gonzo and let him work his magic on the car. Not sure where your car is located or if you have any good Lotus mechanics in the area. I did not have anyone local that had much experience on Esprits or that I trusted. They are much different than the Toyota powered cars Lotus sells currently (those drive trains are pretty darn reliable). Also, after seeing what the last shop in North Carolina did to this poor car I wasn't about to let Billy Bob have another go at it. So I took my time and did it myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks carjunkie, I have come to the decision to do the engine removal. What is the book or history for the time to pull engine? I have heard 4 or 5 hours. I have a good Lotus guy 350 miles from here in Winnipeg Manitoba and I will take car to him...Steph @ Euro Cars.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Thanks carjunkie, I have come to the decision to do the engine removal. What is the book or history for the time to pull engine? I have heard 4 or 5 hours. I have a good Lotus guy 350 miles from here in Winnipeg Manitoba and I will take car to him...Steph @ Euro Cars.
Do you know Mark Terrio-Cameron in Medicine Hat? He has an Esprit V8, and works on cars for people.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know him. could you forward a contact number? If he works in a garage just that name would work. Is there anywhere on the forum that has a step by step procedure to pull the engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts