The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I updated my S4s about 3 years ago with the newer 2002 rear lighting valance. Looks great and works well. But it's always had issue with water leaking inside when washing the car. I've added rubber gaskets around each light and foam gathering around the perimeter of the valance. Given recent water testing my leaking is mostly at the top horizontal joint above the valance. I've attached a couple of pictures. My thinking is that I'll need to take the whole valance out and concentrate on my weather stripping on the upper joint.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is it possible that one of the drain tubes in the lower corners of the body gutter was cracked when the new valence was installed? I discovered that the funnel portion on the RH-side on my car has a crack that would allow wash water to enter the trunk. I assumed maybe it happened during a battery replacement at some point.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,864 Posts
From what I see the tail light areas are the only possible leak points. That said, did you use closed-cell foam? Should there be a way for water to escape (drain hole/gap) from the bottom of the valance? (thinking that it could be backing up into the lights area)

Don't forget that as you drive in rain, air pressure differentials will drive the water into the valence both top AND bottom.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll just take the whole thing apart and get some close cell foam. Adding drain holes scare me. The original taillights didn't have that.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,864 Posts
Doesn't need to be a hole along the bottom...just a 1mm notch. The notch would be invisible along the bottom of the valence panel, where it 'tucks in' along the 20mm ridge just above the bumper. Like I said, it only needs a small gap to assure that accumulated water can flow out.

I've been looking at this page on Lotus Esprit World.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had read the LEW article before. Maybe the silicone sealer would fix my problem.
When I water tested prior the water shot straight into the boot at the top joint of the valance. Never getting to the bottom of the valance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts