The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lotus Esprit - #71 / 100
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a bind, so I've come here for the experts.
The front passenger side brake line burst, and I'm needing an emergency replacement. I've ordered a set from PNM, but it will be days before they arrive. Is there a crossover part I can get from an autoparts store that will allow me to limp home?
Car is a 2002 V8 Esprit with the AP brakes. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Suggest taking the brake line to a NAPA or equal auto parts store and see if they can match one up or make one for you. An alternative would be a local brake shop.

I have made my own brake lines and it's pretty straightforward. It's a matter of finding the right fittings for each end.

Avoid the usual chains.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
How about Sports car world in Dallas I see you are in DFW in sig

where are you broken down?

That is an odd failure. Suspect something was installed incorretly and got pinched or rubbed. Look carefully when you get a chance.

JAE could probably over night it to you.

I have a couple but not sure they fit the V8

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
How about Sports car world in Dallas

where are you?

That is an odd failure. Suspect something was installed incorretly and got pinched or rubbed. Look carefully when you get a chance.

JAE could probably over night it to you.

I have a couple but not sure they fit the V8
We had a place here that mad up custom stainless lines, but they stopped doing it years ago when everything went on line. Maybe a custom hydraulic shop but they would need to be automotove friendly or they wont have the fittings.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Which brake line broke? Is it the flex hose from the pipe on the frame to the front spindle, or the hard line from the spindle to the caliper? If the hard line, you already have the correct fixtures. Just have a brake shop bend up a pipe for you. If it is the flex line, take the line to an auto parts store and they can match one up. Lotus won't be in their database, so you need the part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh.. I wrote out a lot here, then my phone died.. hahah.. terrible luck all around.

Anyhow, I'm still in Texas, but very far from Sports Car World. I was hoping for a part from a Toyota or Corvette that would be available from a national chain like O'Reilly or Autozone. I have found a company that will make the hose, but they open tomorrow at 7:30, so I'll be camped out there! The flex hose split, and brake fluid pours - not drips - out of it. See the pic below. I believe the hose is just old - possibly from 2002. I got the car in 2018 and have never done any brake work.

Also, I noticed that there are two bleed screws on the caliper - is there a sequence to bleeding? Inner first? outer? Only do one? Any help with that appreciated.

I don't have access to any manuals right now, so your assistance is very much appreciated. Thank you all so much for your help.

Purple Pink Magenta Electric blue Pattern

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,865 Posts
As a Long Term solution, I would contact JAE. They sell kits of SS brake hoses for many years of Esprit. We replaced ours a few years ago, 'just because'.

Flushing the brake fluid every 2 - 3 years (yearly if you track the car) prolongs the life of the hydraulics, too!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a SS set from PNM as soon as I found what the problem is. They'll be at my house within the week. I just need a temporary solution to limp home, and I think I've found one.
I also need to know if there is a special bleed sequence as I've never seen a brake set with two bleed screws.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,865 Posts
I also need to know if there is a special bleed sequence as I've never seen a brake set with two bleed screws.
I have no specific experience with the AP brakes, but as long as you keep the bleeders 'on top' so as to purge any air, you should be good.
Tapping the calipers with a screwdriver handle as you bleed helps gets the air out, too. 👍

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
hello, was in a similar predicament with my 97 Esprit, To get the car back home I found p.n. BH100783 brake hose at O'reilly's auto , Same fittings 13.5 inches long, It is for a mid 90's jaguar XJS, I then ordered a set of stainless braided lines to replace them all, On bleeding I would recommend first the inboard fitting then the outboard, Great tip from Atwell on tapping the caliper to help air move to the top of the caliper, If you are bleeding using the brake pedal it helps to have the engine idling to have the brake power assist help in the bleeding.
Best of luck, Lou

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
any air in the system will float to the top of the caliper on both sides. The sequence will not matter. DOnt go nuts that type of caliper bleeds easily. After one or two pumps you will see no air bubbles.

When I installed my racing style calipers (similar to yours) I filled with fluid and cracked the bleeded and let fluid bleed out for a minute with no pedal - the caliper will be totally empty so give it time to fill and run out the top for a bit before messing with the pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
When bleeding just be sure to keep the master cylinder reservoir topped up so fluid level doesn't drop far enough to let air back into the system, in which case you get to start over. Clutch m/c also ties in to brake reservoir so keep fluid above that level.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Worst case just find a way to block off that caliper and limp home. Not the safest thing to do but if you are really careful and don't need to hit the brakes hard you could do it. Use the gearbox to downshift and slow down that way. That hose had to have been abused in the past for it to have failed. Use DOT 4 Castrol if you can get it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey!
Sorry for the late reply. I tried to reply soon after everything was fixed, but the site was having some problems.

Anyhow - yes! Everything worked perfectly! The new hose is shorter, but it still works. Bleeding the brakes was really simple, and I made it all the way home with no further problems. The SS set has been ordered from PNM, and I'll be having complete brake maintenance done here in the next few days.
I suppose we can update that O'Reilly part number on the cross-parts list. Thanks so much to aerodyn007 for the Jaguar parts information. Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts