The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Esprit V8 25th Anniversary #46
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have identified the four bolts two each side of the centre consul and are accessible from front of engine compartment. can someone help me with steps to remove the four bolts on a v8 and and rectifie the noises when going over uneven roads, it’s a creaking and maybe a clonking noise. The four nuts are very tight. Just need some direction on where to cut the carpet behind each seat and expose the heads of the bolts. Some kind of pictures would help, plus size of the opening for the bolt heads. I don’t get the noise when going on an off the throttle to induce some noise have been checking motor mounts and other suspension for looseness.and found nothing out of ordinary.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Take measurements from the engine compartment where you can see the bolts then transfer those to the inside to cut your access flaps in the carpet. Shortening the bolt sleaves may help but if the problem has been going on for some time then it may have widened the holes in the plywood allowing a lot of up/down, left/right wear. Fatter sleeves may help it this instance.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Don't be afraid to look elsewhere for the source of the creaking.

For example the body attachments at the base of the engine wall have been known to crack. MrDangerUS had posted a repair. Also shown in several Topics on TLF.

Also, there are several body-to-frame bolts in the front footwells that can benefit from periodic tightening. (2 horizontal and two vertical)

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
251 Posts
I did my passenger side last summer. Wasn't thrilled about cutting the bulkhead carpets, but it was worth it. Plate came out very easy and I removed some of the sleeves so that I could snug it up tight when reassembling. Creaking is gone. Hoping the driver side stays quiet lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I am recouping at home from surgery. Very board so now ready to proceed when body is ready, thanks for all the great input. Will report back when job is done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just completed the bulk head mod and all is good. Shortened the mounting plate spacers 3-4 mm as advised using dremel with cutting wheel. Went for ride and low and behold no more clonks and creaks, Just did the drivers side as that’s where it seemed to be where the clonks and creaks were coming from. A worthwhile mod for sure and not to hard to do. Thanks for the info and all who added how to go about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts