·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
this is too tempting!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The picture looks LHD. How can that be?

I'd like to know how "smog exempt" works.. might have a few other cars that would benefit from less work every two years. Is it for real?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by Ground Loop
The picture looks LHD. How can that be?
this car was sold all over Europe. and not every European country has RHD cars. Germany for example is LHD, like us.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would be suspicious, very suspicious this is a "grey Market" car and is exempt from nothing! It must meet smog, side impact, air bag etc. all requirements of a factory built car for it to be liscensed in the US. Yes, there are Elises in the US that were brought in under false documentation and you need to be very, very careful with a car that is claimed to be street legal and exempt from one or more requirements. This car may be legal but I would sure do my research first.
This thing doesn't tempt me at all I'll be glad to wait for a Federal Elise.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have been through the EPA and DOT cert process and have never heard of an Elise that is smog exempt. Sounds fishy for a car that has NO WARRANTY, NO WARRANTY, NO WARRANTY..
Don't be tempted a gray market car is worthless as soon as the real deal starts arriving..
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Smog in California is legislated by county... some counties don't make you smog your car at all.

This could be a sly way of saying he's currently registered the car in one of those counties, but I don't think SLO would be in such a county.

Curious, that's just a few hours drive from me down the PCH. Maybe I should go check it out and take a test drive :D.

While we're on the topic of kit cars, where does one look for a used M12-GTO? Not that I'm even seriously thinking about it, but I'm curious what sort of money they fetch, just for comparisons sake.

- John

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Even if the car is "street legal" (probably meaning that he managed to get it registered in some state), it is not "Federal legal". It is against the Federal DOT regulations to import that car - it does not meet the many various safety standards - and it can be confiscated by the feds if/when they discover the car...

It's already been done to some of the cars that the guy down in Florida was importing and selling...

By the way, meeting Federal safety standards go way beyond air bags and/or bumpers. For instance, even if the car has "safety glass" windshield, the manufacturer of the windshield has to be registered, and the proper codes have to be included in the glass - if not, it's not allowed and/or the glass has to be replaced. I once imported a car from Italy, and had to check all the various "gotchas"...:huh: There are a lot of them, and it's only gotten worse in the last 20 or so years since I checked...

I'd skip the gray market Elises and wait for the real thing...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
offroadr35 said:
have fun spending 40k on a car and then having the government take it from you and provide no compensation whatsoever
Without judging the advisability of buying this car, or not, what the seller is saying could be completely legit. His reference to being registered in CA as smog exempt could be true. CA will allow 500 cars/year to be registered as "specially built" cars. Under some circumstances, they can be completely smog exempt (not related to counties).

Also, from a Fed perspective, if this car was imported as "parts", they are exempt from the regulations for importing cars. They could be re-assembled in the US and be legal, but there are specific ways that has to be done to be legal, both for the Feds and for CA (but for any other state, YMMV).

One would have to do a lot of research into the regulations and how this car got to its current state and whether you want a car that was reconstructed from parts. (Actually, some of the parts can be very major assemblies.)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
offroadr35 said:
have fun spending 40k on a car and then having the government take it from you and provide no compensation whatsoever
They send you a very nice bound book of pictures from the crusher:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts