The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo 25th Aniv. Edition

Offered by Smith Lotus of San Luis Obispo, California

This is an exceptional Esprit. Inside and out this is a wonderful car -- see for yourself, many large and detailed images at Smith Lotus dot com.

I have personally driven and overseen the preparation of this Esprit for market. It was an outright purchase from a couple near Fresno. A two owner car that was originally purchased in FL and moved around the US as the owner relocated. CarFax is clean and very detailed.

The car was offered to us and we jumped at it recognizing it as a very well cared for Esprit. Very little was needed to bring it up to our high standards. Fully serviced, new Toyos balanced and aligned, new battery, fully detailed, this list was short.

Esprits being relatively easy exotic cars to afford tend to wind up in the hands of people who are more concerned with getting attention than tending to the car's maintenance needs. This Esprit is the exception.

Once the new tires were on, both myself and Smith Lotus owner, Brent Smith, took the car out for a brief drives. I drove my favorite route, around town, on the freeway, and to my secret twisty mountain two lane roller coaster. The last car I tested on this route was a Ferrari F355. I was astounded at the difference between the Esprit and the Ferrari. The Esprit was faster, more nimble, handled more predictably, and leaned less in the tight corners. I have always loved the Ferrari F355 and was very happy to have the opportunity to spend some time in it, but it is no longer on my top ten list of cars I want to own. Scratch the Ferrari -- write in Esprit.

Brent had the same reaction. He came back, got out, and exclaimed "That is a hell of a car!"

If you want something with huge top-end power, handles like a Lotus, and is still very comfortable and down-right roomy compared to an Elise or Exige, then you should consider this Esprit.

$50,000

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Giving this thread a bump - we are ready to make a deal on this car.

Call me - Darin Phillips - at 877.LOTUS18 if interested.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just sat thru the whole photo show...what a beautiful car! Good luck with the sale...I will be jealous of the new owner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bump as a reminder that this Esprit is a lot of car for the money and I want to sell it this month. Anyone considering an Elise or Exige who wants a car with a bit more comfort, and gobbs of top-end, without compromising that Lotus laser-like feel in steering, should consider a low mile Esprit. 25th Aniv in Silver no less. Ferrari's are a disappointment after driving this car. This is an jaw dropping car when seen on the street. Make me a reasonable offer.

[email protected] or 877.LOTUS.18

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I just took this Esprit to the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca this past Saturday to show it off a bit and see if I could attract a buyer for it.

Check out the photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dpphotoalbum/MontereyHistorics2008

With permission from the owner, I put 300 miles on this Esprit to put it in the Golden Gate Lotus Club's Lotus Corral with a for sale sign in the window. I could barely sleep the night prior knowing the Esprit was going to be my ride to my first Historics. If I had known how mind blowing the Esprit V8 was going to be I doubt I would have slept at all!

After the return trip from Monterey, I can honestly say that I can not believe what a fantastic car the Lotus Esprit V8 is. I drove it on the freeway, back roads, and an insanely twisty two lane roller coaster. The Esprit performed flawlessly and is downright scary even when just hinting at what it could do. I did not push it hard with it not actually being my car, I just tried to get a sense of what the Esprit is about, without getting arrested or fired.

After driving the Esprit for the better part of the day, it was almost impossible grasp the value this car represents at our Lotus Talk only asking price of $47,000. The voice of temptation kept whispering, "for less than the price of a BMW 3 series you can have this!" and "your wife will love it!" By the end of the night I thought for sure God was talking to me directly - "BUY THIS CAR!"

The practical side of me thought about the maintenance costs and tried very hard to talk me out of selling one of my children or mortgaging the house to take the Esprit home. That voice of reason was quickly bound, gagged, and stuffed in the trunk as I sat in traffic going into and out of the track. It never got hot. It never stumbled. It didn't even get that bad of gas mileage. I know it is a heck of a lot less expensive to keep than the Ferraris we get from time to time too. Reason shmeshon.

I couldn't go anywhere without the car getting attention. Every time I tried to get in or out of it I was getting in someone's way who was trying to photograph it. But, getting attention is not what this car is about. The Esprit is about feeling superhuman and I can attest that it was very very difficult to put away the cape, tights, and red man-panties, and get back into my Clark Kent boring family-friendly E12 5 series BMW after my drive back to Smith Lotus in San Luis Obispo was done.

Please buy this Esprit and get it out of our inventory before I sell a kidney or something to get it. My wife and kids will be forever in debited to you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Though we are not supposed to be having conversations about cars for sale, since this is a valid question, I certainly don't mind answering. If we need to move the discussion we will.

I am not an Esprit expert. However, my understanding was that the Esprit production ended to allow Lotus to return to it's roots with the Elise. Once Lotus yielded to public pressure to put a V8 in the car the Esprit had become a super-car, something it was not intended to be, but it works quite well as one. The Renault transmission did provide a limitation to the amount of power Lotus could tune into the V8 so it maxed out at 350 bhp, from what I am reading. I do not know the history or influence the availability of the Renault transmission had upon Lotus' decision to cease production of the Esprit.

Here is a good site for doing Esprit research. I have provided a link to an good general review of the Stevens Esprit from Classic Sports Car in 2005:

Lotus Esprit Turbo - Classic & Sportscar Magazine

There was no mention of this subject in the sites I have found so far.

Thanks for the comment, I always appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the cars I am selling.

Perhaps we should both step over to the Esprit threads and ask real Esprit owners for their thoughts on the subject.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts