The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would inquire about any tips for the following issues that have cropped up:

1. After a sustained run, say even 5 miles at highway speed, when coming to a stop/idle the engine will just die. This can happen without warning...I am able so far to restart on the fly but it has certainly incited a brisk heart rate. Sometimes I am rolling but in neutral and the car will die...somewhat scary...

2. The ignition seems to be adding a half second to second delay between turning the ignition and the engine beginning to turn over. Almost imperceptible but seems to be gaining time...

Any ideas?

Thx as always.

·
Registered
181 Posts
1. Try the ecu relearn.
2. Idle valve bad
3. Intake hose leaking -cracked - or need to be tightened.
4. Vacuum leak

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Mine did this, a lot, after I first acquired. ECU hard reset, relearn did the trick.

YMMV

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a similar issue happen to me but with a different make and model of car. After several miles driving, if, as I rolled to a stop and put the car in neutral, the engine would almost imperceptibly die. It wouldn't sputter to a halt, but rather I would watch the revs just smoothly drop down past idle and... ...die. Turned out on a dealership scan to be a sensor that tells the car the clutch pedal is depressed. I never quite understood the correlation between the odd "slow" fuel cutoff and the clutch pedal sensor, but after I bought a new one and replaced it, the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you are not using the car regularly and not keeping the battery fully charged with a battery tender the battery gets low. If it gets too low, when you crank the motor, the battery voltage drops enough to lose the learned tables. Also if it isn't cranking fast enough, it takes longer for it to start. First check how old the battery is. If it is 5 years old or older replace it. If it is not old get it tested. If you don't use the car you should be charging the battery every 2 weeks for at least one day. If you continue having trouble starting the car you probably need to replace the primary injectors. The Lotus V-8 does seem to take more than a couple of seconds to crank before it starts even under the best of conditions. It should be consistent though (meaning the same amount every time). It should not stall once you rebuild the tables but if you have a weak/low battery you keep losing them and have to start all over.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would try the "soft reset" first. Ignition on. Depress accelerator THREE times to floor. Wait for click and hum. Turn off key and start and drive. Resets IAC and cycles fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
While I don't own a V8, I had a (late) friend whose son sold his 2003 FE Esprit that had the same symptoms. The solution was different that the 'above' postings - the final solution (after many dead ends including ECU reprogramming/update) was that there was some issue with 'secondary' injectors - replaced them (all?) and the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
While I don't own a V8, I had a (late) friend whose son sold his 2003 FE Esprit that had the same symptoms. The solution was different that the 'above' postings - the final solution (after many dead ends including ECU reprogramming/update) was that there was some issue with 'secondary' injectors - replaced them (all?) and the problem went away.
There are 2 secondary injectors and sometimes the "O" rings can leak. Very easy fix. Typical symptom is hard hot restart. No error codes. In my case it turned out to be bad primary injectors.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. Have lots to poke around with. Will update after its been remedied. Thx again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't want to steal your thread but since its a related topic I have something that seems very similar to your symptoms.

I'm experiencing what you originally posted, that is if I drive on the freeway for any reasonable length of time (could be just a mile to the next exit) and I exit and put the car in neutral to roll to a stop, the revs can just fall from whatever they were straight to zero, the engine make no effort to catch it at all, like no stutter no pause just immediately collapse to engine stop.

The other symptom is once the engine is at normal operating temperature then if it doesn't stop the idle can rest at 1100-1200 rpm before it gets itself sorted out. Sometimes it falls to like 500-600 rpm and then climbs to normal or some times oscillates between the low and high ranges before finally getting to normal. Once its at normal it pretty steady no hunting after its get there but on the way it seems like its not able to control things at all or it feeding the wrong info to whatever controls things. As of now I'm basically having to blip the throttle every time I go into neutral or downshift a lot, which is definitely spoiling the enjoyment of the car. Even doing this sometimes the fall off of revs is so quick that I miss it and it stalls.

I've only had the car a short time so no idea what normal behavior is but sure its not this. The battery was disconnected when I got the car and I've done the reset procedure and I've driven almost 350 miles of mixed driving and its no different so doesn't seem like anything has be learnt by the ECU so I'm suspecting something else.

Going to have my mechanic look at it next week hopefully. Any input would be appreciated though.

Thx

Jerry

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine had the same stalling issue as well when I first got it. It has gotten better lately and hardly happens at all anymore. Now it will usually only stall when it is still cold.

But I had the same characteristics, which was quite annoying. I'd be getting off the freeway and as soon as I come to the next light, I push in the clutch and the engine would drop to zero. I got into the habit of clutch-in-high-rev before hitting the brake.

I wouldn't be surprised the culprit being injectors. My car was driven rarely before I took ownership. 14K miles in 12 years before I got it and now I've got 25K total in 2 years. It seems to have worked itself out just by putting premium fuel through it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
It seems to have worked itself out just by putting premium fuel through it.
Lotus cars seem to respond well to DOLLARS. $$$$$$ rotfl

Seriously, Premium Fuel is recommended. I remember concerns from the 4 cyl guys when California went from 93 to 91 octane (US)...:scratchhead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts