1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's not only on e-bay, I've seen that ad in multiple classifieds. I can't imagine ANYONE would ever fall for it ... but you never know.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
is anyone really that dumb?

why would anyone believe that someone would sell a car for less than 25% of what any dealership in the country would offer them for it?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait and see what he says when he replies. I'm guessing he'll tell you he's actually somewhere outside of the USA.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
offroadr35 said:
is anyone really that dumb?
Yes, many people are that dumb... and dumber. This is why it's still profitable for the nigerians to continue running those e-mail scams. People still fall for them, every day. If you're that dumb, you deserve to be scammed, IMO.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Pics are now gone... but this was a good read.

Part 1

Part 2

END

good times, good times....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
NMRJock said:
Good read? That's gut wrenching!
No kidding, it was like a soap opera. Poor sap.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Wow, I just read the whole thing. I'm glad he got most of his money back. For the couple thousand he spent in travel, communications, and legal expenses, he can consider that payment for the best lesson ever learned in car buying. I hope I never have to go through that !!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey EBay has yanked the M3 guy's ad... Steve keep us posted as to his reply, if any.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
transio said:
Wow, I just read the whole thing. I'm glad he got most of his money back. For the couple thousand he spent in travel, communications, and legal expenses, he can consider that payment for the best lesson ever learned in car buying. I hope I never have to go through that !!!
He got most of his money back? Can you get me a link to the rest of the story? I have him about to leave Florida...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That's awful. And he's married, so he has to live with the mistake for the rest of his life...

·
Registered
219 Posts
transio said:
Wow, I just read the whole thing. I'm glad he got most of his money back.
Same here - pretty incredible. And to think he probably only came out of it as well as he did because the idiot didn't lie about where he worked.

But I think the biggest lesson isn't the one the detective gave him that he repeated at the end; despite only looking at the car in the close quarters of the garage and in full sun, there's little doubt in my mind he was seeing what he wanted to see and rationalizing every clue away - that's the most dangerous thing you can do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts