The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday is the start of Lance's quest for 6. Post your predictions here.

Podium
1)Lance Armstrong
2)Tyler Hamilton
3)Jan Ulrich

Green Jersey
Alessandro Petacchi

Polka Dot Jersey
Richard Virenque

White Jersey
?

Team points winner
US Postal

Watch for Iban Mayo and Damiano Cunego

Alternate prediction if Tyler breaks a bone.
Podium
1)Tyler Hamilton
2)Lance Armstrong
3)Jan Ulrich

www.laf.org
www.wearyellow.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
huggy bear said:
Alternate prediction if Tyler breaks a bone.
Podium
1)Tyler Hamilton
2)Lance Armstrong
3)Jan Ulrich
Now that's funny. Probably true, too.

Here's hoping it's a good race and not another Bore de Lance.

Hmmm... US Postal - Lance Armstrong : Tour de France as Ferrari - Michael Schumacher : F1?

·
Banned
901 Posts
Knowing the French, Jacque Chirac will probably declare the race a non-race after Lance (hopefully) wins #6. Too bad the US postal Service isn't as consistent as Lance.

Mark

·
Registered
543 Posts
Podium
1) Lance Armstrong
2) Tyler Hamilton
3) Damiano Cunego

Team points winner
US Postal

my $0.02!!

...and my Lightspeed roadbike is about as tall as our whenever-she-gets-here-Elise! :clap:

'looking forward to lance winning his 6th in a row!! and our Starlight Black....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: Re: 2004 Tour De France - Post Your Predictions Here

Hmmm... US Postal - Lance Armstrong : Tour de France as Ferrari - Michael Schumacher : F1? [/B][/QUOTE]

at least Lance doesn't cut-off other drivers in turn one!!!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Armstrong will win.

He will lag behind during the first few races, then he will come from behind and whoop ass like always does on the uphill races.

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMHO it depends on the weather on stage 16. The time trial up to L´Alpe d´Huez. If it´s really hot Jan Ullrich will win, if it´s cold and rainy may be Lance Armstrong will win the stage and the Tour 2004. Ullrich is stronger this year than ever. He won the Tour de Suisse. Armstrong didn´t do well at the Tour de Libertè.

just my 2c...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chouca said:
IMHO it depends on the weather on stage 16. The time trial up to L´Alpe d´Huez. If it´s really hot Jan Ullrich will win, if it´s cold and rainy may be Lance Armstrong will win the stage and the Tour 2004. Ullrich is stronger this year than ever. He won the Tour de Suisse. Armstrong didn´t do well at the Tour de Libertè.

just my 2c...
If anything the heat would hurt a bigger man like Ulrich and Lance is used to heat. He's Texan remember? I think Lance is still a better climber than Jan so I think TT up Alp d' Huez, he'll beat Jan. Not sure if he'll win the stage though. Mayo has been dominating and so has Tyler so maybe one of these guys will take the stage.

Lance and Postal held back this year at the Dauphine Libere. As you recall last year he rode too hard in the Dauphine (among other hardships) and it detracted from his Tour performance.

By the way how has the press been treating Jan this year in Germany?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A friend and his wife are going to France and plan to follow the tour around a bit through the south.

Apparently you picnic out in the lovely countryside, then get to see riders going by for a short time, then you move on. Hopefully it will be more exciting for them than it sounds to me.

I love France, but I would rather drive an Elise from chateau to chateau than watch a bunch of guys riding bikes.

We had dinner with them last Saturday and he joined the "when are you getting your car" club, as well as the "can I have a ride" queue.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Good picks Huggy but I think Ulrich will come in 2nd.

The TT up Alpe d'Huez should be awesome. And watch for the following day, stage 17 - it could catch some riders out because it has two big climbs early on then three "small" climbs towards the end:

STAGE 17 July 22 Bourg d'Oisans - Le Grand Bornand (131.737mi/212km)

COURSE: This is statistically the hardest day of the Tour with 16,827 feet of climbing over five mountain passes in 205km. The 25km haul up the Glandon, followed by the 20km of the steeper Madeleine, will soften things up before three difficult climbs in the last 70km. There are 13-percent slopes on the narrow Col de la Forclaz above Lake Annecy, while the Croix-Fry summit is just 13km from the line.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1. Tyler Hamilton
2. Jan Ullrich
3. Lance Armstrong

I wish I didn't think it would be this way, but Ullrich is getting stronger and was just starting to peak last year. He will be a very strong rider this year. Tyler Hamilton is incredible. I have a ton of respect for him. Now that he is leading his own team, he will have the support he needs for a victory, and I will be cheering him on.

Lance... I'm a HUGE fan, especially as an Austinite, and I want him to win. However... his support structure has changed, (different teammates) and I don't know if he still has the drive that he has exhibited in the past. We'll see. I expect that he'll place third this year and win next year. He's the type to need an occasional setback to steel his resolve to win. But I'll be rooting for him and Hamilton.

Cade

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
jml1952 said:
then get to see riders going by for a short time, then you move on. Hopefully it will be more exciting for them than it sounds to me.
The Tour de Suisse came by our house a few times when I was a kid. In a flat stage, the field zooms by very quickly. The biggest attraction at that age were the cars that drove ahead of the field, giving away all kinds of merchandise.

I guess watching a mountain stage where the riders spread out and move slower would be much more exciting. But I still think that it's one of those sports where you can see much more on TV than live.

I used to follow cycling, but I lost interest in it after all the doping scandals. I hope it improved, but I can't get over the feeling that the guys who cheat best without getting caught have a huge advantage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by huggy bear
By the way how has the press been treating Jan this year in Germany?
very well, because he won Tour de Suisse for the first time. Most see Jan Ulrich in front of L. A.

Watching Tour de France can be great fun. The field zooms past you in the flat bits. But see it in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Spectacular. The only way to feel the speed they are pedaling on day 20...

I went to Paris 2 years ago to see the final. Where the Tour races up and down Champs Elysee 5 times. We were standing near Arc de Triomphe the upper turning point. Phantastic!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts