The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to believe that this is a common problem but I can't find a single thread - so maybe not. As I was rolling the window up the other day I heard something crack/break/snap and then the window wouldn't roll up. When attempting to roll it down, thinking it was jammed, it fell instantly down into the door cavity. Fortunately it doesn't appear to have broken = $$$$$

I removed the door panel tonight and honestly can't see a damn thing wrong. The window moves up and down manually but not all the way up. The motor has no effect and only works for a second in either direction. Sounds jammed or something. I found some cracked broken plastic in the bottom of the door that I think may be related or may be from the crappy door handle plastic that disintegrated into the cavity as well, not positive. The cable that runs around the pulley seems loose, but again, hard to tell. Am I headed to the stealership or has anyone seen this before???

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Exact thing happened in my Cayman. It's most likely a pulley wheel that broke from heat/cold. It's a little plastic wheel that the cable runs along. If you can get the door the rest of the way apart you should see where it was supposed to be. Looks like a pain to fix on these cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
There is no cable in the Elise window regulator.

OP Can you post a picture of the plastic debris you found?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exact thing happened in my Cayman. It's most likely a pulley wheel that broke from heat/cold. It's a little plastic wheel that the cable runs along. If you can get the door the rest of the way apart you should see where it was supposed to be. Looks like a pain to fix on these cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not sure what you mean the rest of the way apart, the door itself is as apart as it goes, outer door panel removed. If your talking about the regulator motor assembly, not sure I want to go there without some solid idea of what might be wrong, because I might just be making more work and money if it has to go to the dealership.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no cable in the Elise window regulator.

OP Can you post a picture of the plastic debris you found?
There is a cable that runs from the regulator to the motor, that's what actuates the regulator to move the window. You can see it here in this picture. Also a picture of debris, most if it I'm certain is from the door handle, some of it COULD be from something else but it so disintegrated you can't really tell.

If you look close in the pic, I see a screw hole with an outline of what looks to be like something was once attached and is no longer:

I think I'm gonna have no option but to run it to the dealership today. This is my DD at the moment, it's hot as balls here in FL and you guys know how well the ac works even with the windows up, with the window down you might as well turn it off. I was able to lift the glass about 1/2 way and prop it but it won't move any further than that. The other thing FL is famous for in the summer is spontaneous torrential downpours, I probably don't have too many options on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, went to take it by the dealership and on the way my blower motor stops working. I get there and he estimates 2k+ for the window and the blower. So I said forget that. That's worth taking a day off of work and doing myself.

Took it home and had the whole motor/regulator assembly out in probably 30-40 minutes. It's not a very complicated job actually. I'm taking some pictures so I can make a replacement thread. The manual, at least the one I have seems worthless. It only has manual windows in it, not power. Maybe I don't have the Federal version?

Anyway, looks like what happened was the little end on the cable slipped out of where it's being held in the regulator end (see pic) The whole thing just makes a big loop. The motor has a pulley on the end and wraps the slack in either direction around a spool. Well, when I tried to reverse it with all the slack in the loop from it slipping free, the cable unspooled and got all jammed up, twisted and kinked. It's bent pretty good as you can maybe see and I'm not even sure it can be rescued without running the risk of it jamming again because it's got kinks in it. Moral of the story.... If your window slips for any reason don't keep trying to work it.

I'm not sure if it could be saved because the free end clips into a riveted piece. I don't think it can be opened to re-attach it, but assuming it could, I could have saved myself 250 bucks by not having to order a whole new assembly.

Anyway, somewhat happy to know that it wasnt a cheap piece of plastic that broke and don't have to expect to do it on the other side anytime soon. Seems like just one of those things... a one off.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts