The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

As mentioned in other post Im looking to get into a Elise and recently had a PPI done. In addition I was able have a dealer do a ECU dump to understand use and previous life.

First Owner had car for 1500 Miles - Sold in 07
Second Owner had car from 1500-5500 Miles - Sold in '14
Third Owner had car from 5500- 19750 - Currently for sale now

The 3rd owner was quite detailed in the record keep dept. Have service/sales receipts, hand written MPG of every tank of gas and service/ maintenance that was done, etc. Seems like a well loved car. There was also some records of corner balancing which to me suggested that it might have been used on track. Hence the ECU dump.

Just got the report and seems to be pretty clean and clear of glaring issues. I had heard that the ECU dump might necessarily be the full life history of the car but the hrs seem to be in ballpark with typical mileage/hrs conversions.

Hoping the experts here can validate that all looks good her before pulling the trigger. And dont worry...in the end the decision is mine just thought I'd tap into the brain trust as a last check.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
since no one else is commenting, I'll chime in.

i generally agree with your assessment that the ecu dump appears not to have been corrupted and the car was well cared for. mostly because of the total miles to total runtime comparison.

if the ecu dump really is accurate, i bet that the battery was never left to drain and the car cranked during that condition. i bet it's been on a charger a lot to prevent that. this is just a guess though.

i would not be so sure that the car was on a track, in spite of the recorded top speeds above 100mph. no standing starts means no drag racing or standing mile type events, and such a low time at high rpm (23 minutes above 5500 rpm, barely 4 mins above 6500 rpm) makes me think track time (or even time on the high cam) wasnt much involved either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for responding. In the records i have a receipt for scaling and corner balance of car...to the tune of $750.

I figured that was a clear sign of track life but no harness bars or other equipment. So maybe plans didnt work out.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
789 Posts
There's definitely sign of some spirited driving, but no abuse. Not dissimilar from the dump from my '05 Elise which went to a few track days before it got into my hands.

·
Registered
993 Posts
While this is one of the cleaner, somewhat error free ECU dumps I have seen, I do think it has some errors. Based on your stated mileage and the total engine time, it works out to an average speed of 49.6 MPH. I think that number is higher than averaging the time at speeds indicated and higher than would be expected unless this car was only driven on freeways. Also, the 0-100 kph and 0-160 kph times are identical and slow, 25 seconds. At some point in this cars life, I would assume a much faster acceleration run would have happened. Just entering a highway from a side road would be faster than 25 seconds.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Also, the 0-100 kph and 0-160 kph times are identical and slow, 25 seconds. At some point in this cars life, I would assume a much faster acceleration run would have happened. Just entering a highway from a side road would be faster than 25 seconds.
those timer values are byte length with a 0.1 sec resolution, so a reading of 25.5 just means that nothing has been recorded faster than the longest time that the data type can represent. i don't think that the identical numbers is indicative of an error.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
789 Posts
those timer values are byte length with a 0.1 sec resolution, so a reading of 25.5 just means that nothing has been recorded faster than the longest time that the data type can represent. i don't think that the identical numbers is indicative of an error.
A valid point. Remember that this ECU is not meant to be a black box or a performance analysis computer, and so the coders putting 'black box' code into it for warranty management purposes were working with hardware and software limitations that guarantee limited accuracy. This is where Obeisance knowing what the code looks like helps a lot - we know what the recording limits are.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I had my car corner-balanced when the shop that had it had the Penske shocks rebuilt.

I have the corner-balancing information sheet...somewhere.

I haven't tracked the car. Not sure I ever will.

Maybe I'm weird (it could happen).

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Congrats!!! Great to hear it all worked out. Be sure to post an introduction in the New Members section with lots of pictures. You can never have too many lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts