The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help would be appreciated.

The check engine light, comes on and stays on.
The car is running great. Has oil and water.
I don't notice any problems whatsoever.

I dont understand why this light is on.

Should I be looking at the mass air sensor for this problem?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You need to go get the code read. A local automotive parts place can do it for you if you don't have a scanner.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Make sure you hear exactly three clicks when you tighten your gas cap after putting gas In the tank.
Not to thread jack or anything, but I've been an idiot and forgotten to put my gas cap back on some of my other cars and I've never thrown a code for it. How finicky is that really?

OP, get the code read. Simple. It'll tell you what's up.

·
Such Administrating
6,852 Posts
Not to thread jack or anything, but I've been an idiot and forgotten to put my gas cap back on some of my other cars and I've never thrown a code for it. How finicky is that really?

Sometimes it will take cars a couple of cycles for the CEL to come on. It may not have run an evap leak test every time you started the car.

Sounds like the crankshaft.
rotfl

I am gonna go with the cylinder 3 rod! :eek:

But seriously, if nothing else, get the code pulled at autozone and post the results here.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Im taking her in tomorrow for a code read.

It's NOT the crankshaft!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instead of buying a scanner, you can buy a cable that plugs into a USB port on your laptop. I got mine on Ebay for $18.00. No need to buy any software for basic code reads. A bunch of free software is avalable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm happy to report, on a like new 2005 Lotus Elise ( the best year) with 29,800 miles on her.............

GAS CAP!

Problem solved on this, extremely, exceptionally, well maintained, pristine beauty.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
Mine has an engine light on now. What cable can I buy to scan the
Code and where do I plug in the cable ?

·
Registered
708 Posts

You've never owned a Subaru, then. I've owned several. If you simply THINK about a code or wonder if you properly tightened the gas cap, you'll throw a code and light the cel.

Mine has an engine light on now. What cable can I buy to scan the
Code and where do I plug in the cable ?
A code scanner at any auto parts store is $50. Or ask them to read the code for you. Most will do that for free and they'll be fighting each other to do it on a Lotus.

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought an innova 3100 obII Scanner.
Plugs into ob2 port under dash and will reset the codes if needed. That way an o2 sensor code from loose gas cap is easily reset.
Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I bought an innova 3100 obII Scanner.
Plugs into ob2 port under dash and will reset the codes if needed. That way an o2 sensor code from loose gas cap is easily reset.
Cheers,
Andrew

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
and a $15 rebate on it too thru amazon!

·
Registered
612 Posts
i did it! i got the code reader from amazon for $15...plugged it in and got the code P0171

from what i googled...this isnt something that will cause my engine to stop but should be taken in to the dealer to fix.

correct>?

where would i find the MAF (mass air flow) so i can try to clean it....anyone got a photo of how to clean it and where it is?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts