The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I bought my Elise without a remote lock. I've been manually locking/unlocking the doors. I would like to get this working again, as it's a slight hassle when I have passengers.

I am not too familiar with the Elise regarding the immobilizer. I found the fob with electronics that just need to be programmed https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/lotus-oem-key-fob-remote-elise-exige-2005-12/. I was curious if can just buy this and program it, or if I need to check for something else beforehand? I don't want to spend 100 bucks unless I am sure this could be a viable solution.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I would first suggest to check if the alarm/immobilizer is still actually hooked up in the car. Plenty of owners either bypassed it or totally removed everything.

If I recall, it’s located behind the rear panel on the driver side seat. Unless you can get hold of a cobra fob to test it and see if your able to sync to it, than you may need to physically check if it’s there. And if it’s there but bypassed, than you may need to read up on some posts about how it was bypassed. Quick google search should pull that up. Possibly other members may know a different way to inspect. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
You'll need the PIN code for your car to program the remote, but if you can start the car without a remote, then your immobilizer is obviously disabled.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I recall, it’s located behind the rear panel on the driver side seat.
That's just the immobiliser circuit isn't it. The main "brain" is inside the dash, IIRC.

if you can start the car without a remote, then your immobilizer is obviously disabled.
Or the alarm has been reprogrammed not to automatically set the immobiliser, but only when the alarm is armed. Knowing how the tell-tale light in the tach is flashing or not can determine this.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's just the immobiliser circuit isn't it. The main "brain" is inside the dash, IIRC.

Or the alarm has been reprogrammed not to automatically set the immobiliser, but only when the alarm is armed. Knowing how the tell-tale light in the tach is flashing or not can determine this.

Cheers.
I rolled the dice and grabbed the FOB, which was just delivered. Seemed pretty straightforward to program it. I get the light on the FOB, but turning the key 3 times doesn't give me the tach light at all. I wonder if this means I can't program a keyless entry at all. Still researching.

·
Less is Better
2,381 Posts
Have you looked in the access panel on the right side of the dash to see it the alarm is still hooked up?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious - since you and I are in the same place.... do you use the key to lock/unlock the doors or the power door switch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always used the key. I've hit the door lock button a few times, but have never used it to lock/unlock the door.
Have you checked if your alarm module is disconnected in the passenger side cubby? I haven't checked mine, just curious though... Although I have more of a piece of mind with also just going old-school with a key only

1 - 11 of 11 Posts