The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Elise SC , and the shift (I’m guessing that’s what it is) blinks when the cars off or when the car is on.

it the center light in the middle of the speed odometer gauge.
The alarm is deactivated/ eliminated, and everything works fine.

I searched and could only find wire issue, so that really didn’t give ideas to check. However... it seems common.

thoughts??

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is likely the car alarm you are seeing. You should have a key fob with 2 buttons on it. Do some searching on cobra car alarm and you will see it. Congratulations on the new car!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is likely the car alarm you are seeing. You should have a key fob with 2 buttons on it. Do some searching on cobra car alarm and you will see it. Congratulations on the new car!
Thanks. It’s a fun car!

Well... unfortunately the alarm was disabled and I didn’t get a remote, just a key.

·
Registered
330 Posts
All is not lost. Do a search for post by SirLotus. He is the most knowledgeable on the car alarms and any problems you may encounter if it has been disabled or if you simply don't have the key fobs. I wish mine was completely removed as yours possibly is. I haven't locked my car in more than 4 years because of fear that some battery will die in a fob or the car itself and leave me stranded;}

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can give you a glue: Mine was also blinking constantly until I replaced the 2A "alarm siren" fuse in the Main Fusebox. But I do have the factory alarm and fob, and mine is a "non USA".

Fusebox - TechWiki

I suspect the original alarm gives a signal to the dashboard, to say "I'am disengaged" and disables the blinking. And without the fuse or the alarm modul, this signal is missing.

The next question is: How could you bring this signal manually since your have the alarm removed.

EDIT: After a brief look at the schematic, I suspect your still have the "alarm modul".

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
159 Posts
With the immobilizer disabled, you can still have the alarm plugged in. This was the case on mine, though the light only flashed when the car was on. I had to remove the passenger side panel, and unplug the actual alarm in there. It's a nightmare to get to, and you'll NEED to put duct tape or something on the bottom edge of the opening if you don't want to slice your hand as it is crazy sharp

·
Premium Member
11,877 Posts
I haven't locked my car in more than 4 years because of fear that some battery will die in a fob or the car itself and leave me stranded;}
You can still lock the car with only the key.

·
Registered
2006 Elise SC
12 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2006 Elise SC that i just bought this summer; tell tale/rev limiter light constantly blinks even when car is off. It's because of the #[email protected]&#*$ Cobra immobiliser. Even it's "disabled", there might still be something active and faulty in the circuitry. I just got the mechanic from the shop to physically take out and remove the whole immobiliser unit behind the driver's seat, and voila not more blinking lights!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same thing happened to my 2006 Elise SC that i just bought this summer; tell tale/rev limiter light constantly blinks even when car is off. It's because of the #[email protected]&#*$ Cobra immobiliser. Even it's "disabled", there might still be something active and faulty in the circuitry. I just got the mechanic from the shop to physically take out and remove the whole immobiliser unit behind the driver's seat, and voila not more blinking lights!
So I can just remove the immobilizer without any further wiring?

·
Registered
2006 Elise SC
12 Posts
So I can just remove the immobilizer without any further wiring?
Disclaimer - I'm not handy, so I got my mechanic to do the whole process. But he told me even after immobiliser bypass, the light was still blinking. Only when he took out the whole unit, then the light stops blinking.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
159 Posts
In my experience it was the alarm not the immobilizer causing it. Only when I unplugged the alarm did it go away. Supposedly from the research I did, the alarm was trying to communicate with the immobilizer and since it wasn't getting a message back it caused the light to flash. If you remove the immobilizer you'll have to jump the 2 terminals on the harness that is supposed to go to it, but I don't know why you would need to remove it as opposed to just unplugging it, I wanted to leave it in case the next owner is a sadist and wants to get it working

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it in a DIY on removing the mess...

“Now the complicated job - unplugging the alarm module. This is located behind the passenger side cubby hole which has a razor sharp aluminum edge. Note: If you don't unplug the alarm module, the telltale light on the gauge cluster will flash even while driving because it can't talk to the immobilizer.”

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
159 Posts
I found it in a DIY on removing the mess...

“Now the complicated job - unplugging the alarm module. This is located behind the passenger side cubby hole which has a razor sharp aluminum edge. Note: If you don't unplug the alarm module, the telltale light on the gauge cluster will flash even while driving because it can't talk to the immobilizer.”
Pretty sure that's exactly what I found when I was searching. It's a pain to get in there, I had to use a screwdriver to push in the thing with my right hand while my left was inside the cubby pulling up on the connector. It took me several tried to get it, but it eventually worked, and I haven't had any issues with the light since.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure that's exactly what I found when I was searching. It's a pain to get in there, I had to use a screwdriver to push in the thing with my right hand while my left was inside the cubby pulling up on the connector. It took me several tried to get it, but it eventually worked, and I haven't had any issues with the light since.
How did you remove the foam or did you just push it to the side? I pulled on it... it didn’t budge, and I was worried it was connected to something important.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
159 Posts
How did you remove the foam or did you just push it to the side? I pulled on it... it didn’t budge, and I was worried it was connected to something important.
Pulled harder haha. It came apart into several pieces as I removed it, but in my case it wasn't connected to anything. It's just sound insulation supposedly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pulled harder haha. It came apart into several pieces as I removed it, but in my case it wasn't connected to anything. It's just sound insulation supposedly.

I hit it with my purse and got it out of the way.

I spent more time messing with the foam than pulling the plug out. Plug took 2m.

thanks for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts