The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise BOE Rev300
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all, I did the thermostat upgrade, the heater-core bypass mod, blocked the intake vents, and removed the panel near the driver footwell and while the air coming from the AC is cool, it is barely coming out. It feels like you have your mouth wide open and you blow on your hand when it's about 2 inches away.

Question 1: Is this normal? I read that after you block the intake vents the AC might blow so hard it blows dirt out of the vents and throws it in your face.

Question 2: Could my resistor pack be going out on the blower? All I have read made it seem like that is an all-or-nothing fix, the fact mine is blowing a little makes me think its "ok"?

Question 3: What can I do to get more airflow!?

Thanks in advance, this Texas heat is brutal.

·
Administrator
13,521 Posts
Sounds like a bad resistor pack. Does the fan speed change with each turning the knob?

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
You should not block the intake vents
Counterproductive.
Take the hose off of the heater box and see how the air feels there. Might be something wrong in the diverter assembly
If you haven't done the resistors, as catsailr27 says that is a suspect.
Do you have all three fan speeds?
The wiring from the switch to fan is suspect, I added a relay to the battery posts on the Exige

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise BOE Rev300
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should not block the intake vents
Counterproductive.
Take the hose off of the heater box and see how the air feels there. Might be something wrong in the diverter assembly
If you haven't done the resistors, as catsailr27 says that is a suspect.
Do you have all three fan speeds?
The wiring from the switch to fan is suspect, I added a relay to the battery posts on the Exige
What do you mean blocking the vents is counterproductive, I have read multi threads that recommend it? And yes the fan speed does change when I move the knob. hmmm next step is to take hose off and see how much air is coming out.

for example:

·
Administrator
13,521 Posts
Was finally able to test it and yes, it does change. But not as much as a nourmal car.
Humm unless blend door is screwed up still sounds like resistor pack. Does defrost work?

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
And they are wrong

The way the heater/ac is designed, half the air comes from the outside, half from the inside. Then they blocked off the inside

The problem with the AC is lack of airflow, so when you cut off airflow it is counterproductive

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
For reference, after making the mods in the linked thread, I only use the 'recirc' switch in 2 circumstances:
When it is not very hot but humid and I am on the highway and want to reduce the airflow[because I get too cold]
When it is over 95 degrees
And my recirc button actually does something compared to as built

They only component in my car that differs from stock is the condensor, which is the same exact size and design as the factory one, but it is not upside down, so maybe it works better.
My AC is solidly in the normal car range. Not 73 Lincoln, but after 6 years I am never hot. If you park windshield into the sun on a 95 degree day with the windows up and pull out into traffic, yeah, it is not going to pull down well. But come on the shift knob is too hot to touch, give it a break.

I suggest
Make certain the diverter is working. It should 90 percent shut off flow to any vent that is not intended to be on.
As I said before take the big hose off the box and check flow there. It should blow your hair back when you lean over the fender to look down.
You said you removed the driver side plate.
Did you remove the passenger side as well?

While there are many good threads here, there also silly ones.
Newer threads tend to build on the old, and while not always, tend to get better

There are some really hack things people have done that they think are genius.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts