The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice article by Dan Neil in the Highway 1 section of the Los Angeles Times.

0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds.

Relative bargain at $142,000 MSRP (compared to Ferrari Enzo at $650,000 or Saleen S7 at $400,000 or Porsche Carrera GT at $450,000).

Recently reached 205 mph at Italy's Nardo test track.

3,300 pounds. 5.4-liter overhead cam V8.

Because of the way the car is geared, you will cross the 60-mph threshold well before you need to shift to second.

By the time you start stretching in fourth gear (about 150 mph), the car's aerodynamic underbody is producing several hundred pounds of ground-hugging down-force that actually causes the car to settle an inch-and-a-half on its suspension.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Woooo-eee! That may just be the only other car I want as badly as an Elise.

Let's see. $150K over 72 months is, uh, no. But if I can convince the bank that I live in it I can swing the payments on a 30 year mortgage!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I sure as hell wouldn't want to take one to be serviced at a Ford dealership.

I doubt the same people they have working on their jello chassied mustang, taurus, etc... would be able to do any kind of work on the GT. Plus, would you really want them allowing their immature 16 year old porters to drive your $150k car through the lot?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That picture proves that Ford is all out of good ideas, styling wise anyway. The new GT is a dead ringer for the old one, just wider, longer and taller. Performance numbers are awesome and I do love the look - just not modern enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and would take one in a minute, but 40 years later and that is the best styling they can come up with? Something they already did 40 years ago? Maybe Ferrari should do a 250 GTO...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Donovan said:
That picture proves that Ford is all out of good ideas, styling wise anyway. The new GT is a dead ringer for the old one, just wider, longer and taller. Performance numbers are awesome and I do love the look - just not modern enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and would take one in a minute, but 40 years later and that is the best styling they can come up with? Something they already did 40 years ago? Maybe Ferrari should do a 250 GTO...
apparently you're missing the point...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I am? What is the point? I thought it was to make a semi-affordable super car that could blow away a 360 Modena and pay tribute to the original GT-40 that beat Ferrari in the sixties? At least that is what all the Ford guys said on the GT documentary that was on TLC.

I am all for a modern version of a GT40. Modern mechanicals, suspension, brakes, etc. I just think the styling isn't modern enough and too much of a replica of the original. I mean it looks exactly the same. Maybe the original was simply way ahead of its time. Or maybe Ford can't style a car like they used to.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
offroadr35 said:
apparently you're missing the point...:rolleyes:
Definitely. Making it look like one of the most classic car in history was the point. And Ford did a great job.:clap:

I can't have the original, and unfortunately, I can't afford the new one either...:(

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I sure as hell wouldn't want to take one to be serviced at a Ford dealership.

I doubt the same people they have working on their jello chassied mustang, taurus, etc... would be able to do any kind of work on the GT. Plus, would you really want them allowing their immature 16 year old porters to drive your $150k car through the lot?
To be fair to Ford, I've heard about a lot of interesting projects in the works at Ford. The new Taurus sounds like it will revive that line. The new Mustang (which my source is on the engineering team for) sounds like a real winner. He's a chassis engineer and promises me that it will actually handle...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
well if the point was to make it look exactly the same as the original than they succeeded. Following this principal Ferrari should make a new 250 GTO. They would sell like hotcakes. Won't ever happen though. Ferrari is always looking forward.

I actually liked the new Cobra better than the new GT. It had alot of visual clues of the original with a more modern look. Plus it was a convertible. :D The GT is an incredible machine, however. I will glady take either one!

Would you take one over a 360 or Gallardo? Think about all the tough decisions rich people have to make...

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
NMRJock said:
To be fair to Ford, I've heard about a lot of interesting projects in the works at Ford. The new Taurus sounds like it will revive that line. The new Mustang (which my source is on the engineering team for) sounds like a real winner. He's a chassis engineer and promises me that it will actually handle...
Ford deserves to get ripped on, that's what they get for building sh*t cars for such a long time.

As for the Mustang handling, I'll believe it when I drive it if I can get one of the neighborhood 16 year olds to trade me a drive in their econobox for a ride in my Elise.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Donovan said:

You don't change a winning team. As a matter of fact there were other attempts at redesigning the Ford GT40 like the GT 90, all with no success. The people at Ford are actually smart, instead of risking a total failure like the Bangle fiasco at BMW trying to Design a modern car. The they decided to play it with a winning combination. A La Mans winner and what is arguably one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. I see plenty of modern designs out there, from BMW, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls... and I don't like any of them, I think they are out to shock us rather than please us. I have alot of respect for Ford, after all, if not for Mr. Ford and his company, we'd probably be riding bicycles.

Neil

·
Registered
368 Posts
You think Elise mark-ups are bad, spots to buy a Ford GT are going for $90,000, and most dealers want $100,000 OVER MSRP because Ford does not prevent them from doing so. You won't be able to get one of these for anywhere close to MSRP...

Still a good car though...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That GT90 thing was nasty. I don't think that the 360 or Enzo are ugly. Although the Enzo did take a little getting used to. I do agree that alot of manufacturers are looking for something new, and absolutley, some are more shocking than beautiful.

Like I said, maybe the original was way ahead of its time. They had alot of initial sketches for the look of the new GT40, none were as striking as the original.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts