The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A truck backed into the front of my 2005 Elise and ruined the clam headlights, turn signals, crash structure. His insurance is covering the damage and my body shop is willing to upgrade the front end to the 2011 front end.

Has anyone done this modification? I called Mullholand Motors and they told me very little custom work is required becuase lotus only makes one crash structure. They sucessfully upgraded an older lotus to a 2010 exige clam but I am in Florida and they are in LA. Lotus garage is in the process of suplying me with a parts list I will need.

Does anyone have any direct knowlege on the subject? or know someone that does? I would hate to buy all the parts and then have to send them back.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Anything is possible. When I replaced my clam at Mulholland Motorsports, they said it would require some custom work and at that time the 2010 clams were not in the US. Otherwise, I may have gone with the 2010 clam too!

You would probably be the first in the US to do this. Better yet, upgrade to the 2012 Exige S V6 front clam!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm in the process of getting a new front clam as well, and I'm also considering something like the 2012 Exige or 2011 Elise clam

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Please inquire about the supply of the Exige clam into the US...not sure if it'll be easy since its not sold here

·
Registered
280 Posts
Last summer my father backed into my 2005 Elise and they upgraded me to a 2007 clam with the newer headlights. Everything was plug and play, drop on, enjoy. There was no custom work for that particular front end. I am aware they have changed a bit more since the 2007 to 2010 front. Aston Martin-Lotus New England did the work for me and they were very knowledgeable. I'd say it's worth calling them up anyway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have found out that the conversion will not be a problem; the 2011 elise clam is about $1,500 more than the 2005 elise clam; the 2011 headlights are about $300 less than the 2005 Headlights less another $350 cause I do not need to buy the turn signal lights; new aceess panels are required but the 2005 panels behind the front wheels can be used on the 2011. so overall parts are slightly more expensive; there are several 2011 elise clams at lotus distribution centers. 2011 Exige clams are on back order. 2012 Exige S V6 clams will not be available for 6-8 months (so wait until then to wreck your car). More info soon

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bump....did anyone end up putting a 2011 Elise or 2012 Exige S clam on their older Elise?

I have an 08 Elise SC I'd LOVE to put a newer Elise or Exige S clam on.

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
My prediction for mid-2014 post:

"Hi all! New here. Just bought an Elise. Had a Fiat 500, so I'm cool with small cars that really perform because they are light weight. Can't wait to start mods, and CF door panels are first on my list!! The previous owner - he was only the 6th owner, so car is like new - told me it was a 2010, but now the local DMV registered the car as a 2006!! What's up with that? The car definitely looks just like the 2010 pix I saw??"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ya, I'm sure there could be a lot of confusion and this isn't a mod you do if you plan on ever selling the car. I tend to hold on to cars I buy, especially the toys....so if I go this route, I'll most likely be keeping it. It's really no different than really customizing any car in that regard. The things you do to it to make it to your liking can easily hurt the resale.

In any case, to swap to a 2012 Exige S clam, you'd also have to change the lower rocker piece behind the front tire as well as both access panels.

I think a 2011 Elise clam would likely be more straight forward.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts