The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is NOT my car, but since I keep an eye on craigslist I thought i'd post this here, seems like a not terrible deal if all is in working condition and the body looks as good as it does in the (blurry) pictures. If this is already posted here, let me know! i looked and didn't see anything...

If anyone checks it out, I'd love to know what kind of "warranty" they are offering it with :huh:

.2005 Lotus Elise CONV W/ HARD TOP

"2 Owner Florida car! Race ready! Raced at Elkhart Lake! Oil coller for turbo, 340 R turbo kit, upgraded pistons and rods, Exige forced induction, Elise Accusump and much more!!! We have all receipts from original owner to present!! This RARE bird WILL NOT LAST!! Less than 25k Miles.. New Inventory.. This hair-raising Elise will have you excited to drive to work, even on Mondays. Hold on to your seats!!! Includes a CARFAX buyback guarantee*** Great safety equipment to protect you on the road: ABS, Passenger Airbag...It has nice features like: Power locks, Manual Transmission, Air conditioning, 1.8 liter inline 4 cylinder DOHC engine with variable valve timing...

This 2005 Lotus Elise from Boucher Ford in Menomonee Falls has been expertly detailed and most come with a Boucher Exclusive Warranty. You won't find better value or peace of mind anywhere! Gordie Boucher Ford of Menomonee Falls uses a third party vendor to ensure our pricing is the most competive in the market!"

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Careful with this one. Could be a well sorted car or an absolute mess.

Extra careful since the dealership clearly knows very little about what that thing is.
"Oil coller for turbo"
"340r turbo kit" ??
"Exiged forced induction" again ??

Edit: Interesting that it is a local car though. Haven't heard of it until now and haven't seen it around.

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agreed, i also found it kinda funny that they say "raced at elkhart lake!" as if its a good thing, when most other ads very much shy away from mentioning track mileage for obvious reasons :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea that dealership definitely doesn't understand how to market that car... at least to the standard Lotus market.

One of us could go up there and take a closer look at it if someone was actually interested. Be nice to get pictures of the actual turbo kit / intercooler / engine management so people know what they are getting themselves into.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am definitely interested but I'm in central Iowa, don't want to drive 6 hours to find out it's a mess. If you do check it out please post pics of the turbo and intercooler setup, also specs if they have them. It says they have receipts, so hopefully they have details on what type of turbo it has, EMS, what forged internals, etc. This thing could be a beast on E85 with a good amount of boost.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I called the dealership and got a few details, but they couldn't tell me where the work was done. It has Wiseco pistons (couldn't tell me compression), Crower rods, Golden Eagle sleeves, Exedy clutch, DRS ECU. All done back in 2006-2007 with around 10k miles on the car at the time. Currently tuned on 100 octane, not sure if there is a map switch back to pump gas.

I contacted DRS with a few questions on the ECU and tuning options, we'll see what they say. I'm definitely interested in the car, it would be nice to find out what compression the pistons are, as well as motor compression numbers to find out what sort of shape it's in.

·
V EQLS IR
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just FYI, that dealer is about 4 miles away from where I work - if you are getting serious and there is anything I can do for you or any info I can gather in person, let me know, i'd be more than happy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That would be awesome if you don't mind. The dealer really had no idea what to look for in the build receipts, if you could find out where the work was done and details about the piston compression that would be fantastic. Also just a quick once over to see if it looks hacked together or built right, etc.

I'm pretty sure it has the touring and sport packages but that might be another thing to check as the salesperson wasn't sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just FYI, that dealer is about 4 miles away from where I work - if you are getting serious and there is anything I can do for you or any info I can gather in person, let me know, i'd be more than happy.
I'm heading up there to the dealer to check it out on Tuesday or Wednesday, care to join me?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dang, looks like they sold it! My search continues... and I was ready to buy a ticket to Milwaukee even. Seemed like exactly what I was looking for if it was in good shape.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Don't worry...

You have very likely dodged a bullet. Like I said many (I would even venture to say most) of the turbo ones have issues. I personally wouldn't buy a turbo 2zz lotus unless you were sure it was tried tested and true (we know of ost of the people on here who have well sorted ones), or you were a DIY guy that was willing to work through the issues that they tend to have.

.. Hopefully the new Radium kits will help to make a more reliable off-the-shelf turbo solution.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yea I'm a DIY kind of guy, just did a supercharger install myself in the vette this past winter, plus my DSM made me a mechanic when I had that years ago.

What are the common issues with the turbo ones?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have 275 FF turbo Elise

#1 ECU is the big one. Having a correctly tuned ECU is costly and not many people have experience tuning them correctly.

#2 If it has Hass turbo kit Run as fast as you can from the car.

#3 Heat from the turbo can be a issue. rear panel eliminator is good idea

#4 alot of the turbo cars are half baked so to speak and need sorting.

That said I am very happy with mine after going though a fair amount of sorting.

Ed

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yea I'm a DIY kind of guy, just did a supercharger install myself in the vette this past winter, plus my DSM made me a mechanic when I had that years ago.

The Lotus is a very fickle car. Add a turbo kit to this and you can very well catalyze this problem. That being said, a complete and properly installed FF or Radium kit should be extremely reliable, assuming that the ECU issue is in order. You are going to have to go with either a custom reflash or a standalone. Neither one of these routes are especially cheap, and each comes with their own additional pros and cons.

You really need to familiarize yourself with these kits, or know a good mechanic that is familiar with them. That may be easier said than done because there aren't a lot of turboed Exige/Elise vehicles out there, and probably even less mechanics that have installed them or worked on them. In some cases, even the shop that installed the kit may not know what they are looking at. This happened to me. A nationally-recognized tuner shop installed the FF kit on my Lotus. They even had the install on the front page of their monthly blog! However, it took me several months to figure out that various brackets were missing, lines were shortcutted, etc. I've spent the last half year and thousands of dollars getting this car to where it needs to be and where it should have been to begin with.

I might be the minority here, but don't be scared of purchasing a car with a turbo. Just make sure you do your homework beforehand and find a good shop that can help in inspecting every detail of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts