The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Selling my 2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black with Red interior, all stock (aftermarket radio) touring model with 97k miles. I bought the vehicle last year from the original owner/forum member and drove it home from LA. Since I have been caught in a relocation/house move/job change that leaves me with limited time and space for as many toys as I would like.

The good - clean title, no accident history, reliable, safe to drive long distances with little concern. Garaged on a battery tender, fires right up after a month or longer of no use, no smoke, leaks, vibrations, etc. Shifts smooth, no CEL's, runs at normal temp. Includes both the hard and soft tops. Original owner had recalls completed, but have limited overall maintenance history.

Needing attention - needs new rear tires, HVAC resistor has failed, and central locking system not functioning.

Upon arriving home, my plan was to fix these items and make it a fun weekend driver. The car has not been tracked, just a few auto-x's by the previous owner. Recent oil change.

$23,000 pick up in Columbus and drive home. Email [email protected] call/text 319-520-0926

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
194 Posts
Awesome. Would make a fantastic way to get into an Elise, or a track car. This is priced waaay competitively and will honestly probably be sold in 2 weeks tops.

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
194 Posts
I'm tempted to buy it as a track car

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Noob here to the Lotus world. Does the central locking system affect daily use?
The central locks and mechanical locks are two entirely separate mechanisms, to the point that if your battery dies after locking the car with the central locking, you can't use your mechanical key to open the door. Partially for that reason, I only lock the doors with the mechnical key. It's not like it takes that long to walk around these things, haha. I'm probably going to keep my central locking pieces on the shelf when I rebuild the car just to cut some dead weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whoever has the deposit, I highly recommend opening this link and understanding it: Title Jumping - When The Seller's Name Is Not On The Title

Additionally, I have seen/driven the car in person and thoroughly inspected it while I was there. For the buyer, you are more than welcome to message me if you want a complete run down of condition of the car and some repairs required that are not mentioned in the ad.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
194 Posts
Whoever has the deposit, I highly recommend opening this link and understanding it: Title Jumping - When The Seller's Name Is Not On The Title

Additionally, I have seen/driven the car in person and thoroughly inspected it while I was there. For the buyer, you are more than welcome to message me if you want a complete run down of condition of the car and some repairs required that are not mentioned in the ad.
So what you are saying is, the potential buyer could "allegedly" be buying a vehicle, from whom the vehicle is not titled to, and "allegedly" not describing it truthfully?

Reactions: boyko.anthony

·
Registered
21 Posts
So what you are saying is, the potential buyer could "allegedly" be buying a vehicle, from whom the vehicle is not titled to, and "allegedly" not describing it truthfully?
Let me put it this way. Legally, "you would be buying this from the previous owner" and "not the person selling the car". I didn't want to risk being unable to register the car with this no matter how good the price was as there was too many open questions and things not mentioned in this ad.

Also, I did have a deposit on this car, had driven up to Columbus, Ohio, pulled a carfax. But when I couldn't convince the owner to put the title in his name, I:
1) Could not take a loan for the car (which makes sense because the bank needs you to "buy it" from the "seller on title" , and
2) Was too sceptical of the situation when I offered him $1000 more than our agreed offer if he got a title. When he refused, I just thought maybe there's something more that I don't want to find out.

I would say that there is a good chance that everything turns out fine, but I wasn't willing to risk $23k to find out I can't register the car....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased the car in April of 2019 and didn't get around to titling the vehicle due to my extended relocation, temp living, career move. I have been clear with all buyers and provided the original owners contact info to them for reference. Anthony is upset that he was unable to purchase the vehicle even after recommending more elaborate schemes that I would not consider. I have described the vehicle truthfully and welcome anyone considering the vehicle to take it to an independent mechanic for a full inspection. Anyway... I was unaware of the term title skipping until now, was not my intention.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased the car in April of 2019 and didn't get around to titling the vehicle due to my extended relocation, temp living, career move. I have been clear with all buyers and provided the original owners contact info to them for reference. Anthony is upset that he was unable to purchase the vehicle even after recommending more elaborate schemes that I would not consider. I have described the vehicle truthfully and welcome anyone considering the vehicle to take it to an independent mechanic for a full inspection. Anyway... I was unaware of the term title skipping until now, was not my intention.
I wouldn't say "scheme's" at all. Additionally, what you are doing is a scheme to avoid taxes (or hiding other information about the vehicle, potentially). I asked you to title the car in your name, whether or not it was in Ohio or if you chose to use Montana plates and would not call either of these options a "scheme". However, the irony is that title hopping is a "scheme".

I honestly did not care how you got the title, but it needed to be in your name. Otherwise there was too much risk from a legal and financial aspect to pursue as I wasn't willing to be apart of a title hopping scheme.

I just want the next owner to be aware of what they are getting into and the other issues on the car that are not described in your ad that I mentioned to you when I inspected the car.

·
Administrator
1,451 Posts
NC and VA will require that it be titled in your name in order to sell. NC further requires notarized with two witnesses on bill of sale. With DMV in both states by appointment only and weeks before being able to get appointment it would be in your best interest to get the car titled in your name in order to be able to sell properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Additionally, anyone who is seriously interested in this car is welcome to contact me at (313) 268-2490 for a honest overview of the cosmetic/mechanical overview of the car as well as more information on the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anthony, I appreciate your free 3rd party inspection services, but given the text history on how much you wanted the car after your "thorough inspection" and then reached out to me as soon as you saw the ad here on Lotus Talk still offering creative solutions, even offering more than you originally were willing to pay to try and outbid the other buyers... your timing to interject now, after a new buyer is announced is highly suspect.

You learn a lot about a person when they don't get what they want...

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
194 Posts
Anthony, I appreciate your free 3rd party inspection services, but given the text history on how much you wanted the car after your "thorough inspection" and then reached out to me as soon as you saw the ad here on Lotus Talk still offering creative solutions, even offering more than you originally were willing to pay to try and outbid the other buyers... your timing to interject now, after a new buyer is announced is highly suspect.

You learn a lot about a person when they don't get what they want...
I am just curious as to why you would not title it, which would have already resulted in a sale? I am not trying to add any drama, I am just generally curious. I have sold a vehicle before with the previous owner on it, because I bought it like that and I could never find the owner to register it because the one before me did not. I ended up selling the car at a loss but explained in detail that this was basically a car that was going to take way to much effort to register. It seems like the previous owner is here so that is a good thing.

·
Administrator
1,451 Posts
His concerns are valid with the titling issue and on LT the history, condition and other "facts" will come to light because we all look out for each other. Often these cars are purchased sight unseen and accurate assessments of a cars condition are important in listing your car. If you look at some other ads you will see sellers photos and explanation every little scratch and flaw in the car. You are new and need to realize everything posted here will be thoroughly scrutinized from previous owners, posts, history etc and then discussed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am just curious as to why you would not title it, which would have already resulted in a sale? I am not trying to add any drama, I am just generally curious. I have sold a vehicle before with the previous owner on it, because I bought it like that and I could never find the owner to register it because the one before me did not. I ended up selling the car at a loss but explained in detail that this was basically a car that was going to take way to much effort to register. It seems like the previous owner is here so that is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.