The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread to document the repairs, upgrades, and upcoming racing.

Purchased my 2005 Lotus Elise Sport/Touring in October.
It had just turned over 54,000 miles.

It was well loved and a bit neglected with some minor shoddy work from many previous owners. (I think 6 or 8?).

The plan is to repair everything to/or better than OEM quality, then K24 swap and keep it as OEM+ as possible.

This was week one of ownership, autocrossing to get a feel for the car :)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

My current track car is a 450+ hp LS swapped Toyota 86. Its an absolute beast at a reasonable 2800lbs.
I've maintained a rather thorough build thread that covers nearly everything done to the car, with notes of available mount options and hindsight notes added with passing time:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First repairs:

Replaced Missing front fender Liners
Replaced missing rear brake Pin (a gutter nail was wired in place as a solution by previous owner)
Replaced soft top rear cable.

Brakes had practically zero weight to the pedal, and were not at all "bitey" enough to stop quickly.
Bleed brakes- fluid tested off the scale for humidity, pretty sure the fluid was original!
Replaced flex hoses with stainless.
Replaced pads with EBC yellowstuff for now. Will look at better pads later.

The previous owners brake fix :mad:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
November 15th - Next Repairs/Removals

Remove Aftermarket Amplifier behind drivers seat:
--Removed extra wiring to battery, and radio for amp.
--Replaced dry-rotted speakers front and rear.
--Replaced outdated radio head unit with most minimalist I could find.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive lighting

·
Registered
237 Posts
I recommend you check your turn signals to make sure that one of the previous owners attached them differently/better than stock. If you autox or track they will fly out on you if you are counting on a 20 year old plastic clip 😉.
Otherwise I'm excited to follow your build thread! Already had a gut reaction to the wired in brake pin... should be a fun read!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend you check your turn signals to make sure that one of the previous owners attached them differently/better than stock. If you autox or track they will fly out on you if you are counting on a 20 year old plastic clip 😉.
Otherwise I'm excited to follow your build thread! Already had a gut reaction to the wired in brake pin... should be a fun read!
Funny enough that turn signal popped out on day two of ownership, driving over a train crossing, with a broken tab.
Made a new tab.

Plant Hood Window Sleeve Automotive exterior

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Preliminary Updates:

November:
The car received some damage at a very cold autocross. Cold cones, cold fiberglass. Lessons were learned.

New nose and rocker/sill ordered in November. Should arrive soon from Jon Seal.
"While I'm at it..." ordered a Koyo Radiator, new silicone hoses.
New SPAL fans to top mount on radiator.
BOE rear oil cooler relocation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts