The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Lotus Elise and the instrument back light isnt working. I cant see my gauges at night. I have checked the dimmer button (The one that sets the odometer as well) And the lights still dont come on. I have checked all the fuses as well. Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
The dash are adjustable by holding 1 the odometer trip button down, this should adjust the brightness.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Does it reset the trip meter? Perhaps its disconnected? Can easily check if its disconnected somehow.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've had the same issue for months. I can't find anything in the Service Manuals with respect to a stand-alone dash light(s). The Trip/Odometer/Fuel/Coolant Temp LCD continues to work fine. Yes, I know about the dimmer switch... I have not yet tried to get into the guts of the Instrument Panel nor have found any info searching... Anyone have a pic of the backside of the panel? Is it even accessible? It's relatively easy to get to after upper/lower column cowl removal.

There was an old thread about changing out the gauge needles. Perhaps one those guys are more familiar?

Of course there's this for a pricey fix:

Reactions: goelise

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
yes AIM MX2E is nice, I do wonder if the trip button is simply disconnected? It had a green connected under the steering wheel column cover.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
216 Posts
The instruments use an electroluminescent sheet for back light. The HVAC panel does the same I believe. Here is thread that discusses changing it out. I believe there are others, this is the first one I came across.

Reactions: DWilde

·
Registered
735 Posts
Taken from that thread regarding attached pic:

clopi2000

Registered

Joined Mar 19, 2005
283 Posts
#53 Feb 26, 2007
scottyb said:
If you want a blue background, can't you just remove that orange sheet behind the stock Transparency and substitute it with any other color? I assume the LED's used are white behind the orange screen.
The orange sheet is an electroluminescent plate. It has a little connector at the top. It is custom made for the cluster. There are no LED's behind.

Instrument original.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Guess it's worth confirming the "little connector at the top" is indeed connected. It wouldn't be the first time a random connector has come loose...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts