The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post as I didn't see a dedicated section for detailing so mods, feel free to move this.

I just recently completed a paint correction on a 2005 Lotus Elise and will be doing a paint correction on a black Exige this week which I'll post when it's completed. The car is not only a daily driver, but used as a weekend track car as well. Judging by the condition of the car and especially the wheels I don't think the car has been washed ever, not even after track days to get rid of the brake dust. Here is just a quick summary of what was used and done. If you have any questions feel free to post them or contact me.

Products-
CG Maxi Suds
Meguiars APC and Super Degreaser
Optimum No Rinse
CG Bug and Tar Remover
CG citrus wash
gilmour foam gun
Sonax Wheel Cleaner
mothers back to black
CG black on black
303 Aerospace protectant
tons of different brushes for interior and exterior
lexol leather conditioner
4" and 5"Meguiars DA MF pads and polish,
4" and 5" Surbuf pads with M205
LC Black Pad
LC Blue Pad
Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
Optimum Spray Wax
Tuf Shine tire Clear and poorboys wheel sealant

Before and after pics. Never seems to fail, when it's time for outside pics it is eaither raining or the sun is going down. All 300+ pics can be seen at Lotus Elise pictures by will3ptman - Photobucket
or
Home Page

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow - glad I looked at this. I have the same color and am considering paint correction. I got a quote today for the paint correction and Opti-Coat ceramic sealant and I was quoted $600. Would you say that $600 is a good price for all of the work that goes into this? Im thinking on my own it would be at least a 3 day job plus all the supplies, I'm not sure I would come out too far ahead if I just did it myself, since they said it would take them a whole weekend to do.

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
What did you use on the black plastic grilles and vents? The Meguiars back to black or the CG black on black?

·
Less is Better
2,369 Posts
I don't understand the term "paint correction". What was incorrect in the first place? It looks like you washed and polished the car removing surface scratches that didn't get through to the color coat, which as I understand it, is called a detailing. What's the difference?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm sure it's semantics. I always considered a vehicle being detailed to include waxing, washing, hitting all the surfaces with proper products and techniques.

Paint correction to me is above detailing. It is claybar,wash, polish, seal.

I am prepared to be corrected as usual. heh

God those before and after had to be so satisfying. I am pretty OCD myself. I love wrapping up a job like that. Actually I was going to say I love finishing a detailing like that! heh

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
I don't understand the term "paint correction". What was incorrect in the first place? It looks like you washed and polished the car removing surface scratches that didn't get through to the color coat, which as I understand it, is called a detailing. What's the difference?
Detailing can mean many things. Some people consider a good washing and cleaning to be a detailing. (I have returned cars to "detailers" for doing only this).

Detailing does not necessarily mean angle grinder buffing, clay bar, polishing, etc.

In my experience it's sort of like 4WD vs AWD...can mean many different things.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I use Optimum Gloss Coat coating on my Porsche. Its consumer grade, but claimed durability is still 3 years. If I get 12 to 18 months from it I will be happy. The car stays super clean with it applied, dirt doesn't stick! Costs $60 an application. But obviously the real "work" is polishing the car before and that takes time.

On my Elise, it doesn't get driven much so I just use a spray sealant.

Smaller 4" pads are a definite requirement for polishing an Elise. Not a flat surface on it!

First,
What kind of machine do you use on the Elise? Flex? Rupee? pC?

·
Less is Better
2,369 Posts
I'm sure it's semantics. I always considered a vehicle being detailed to include waxing, washing, hitting all the surfaces with proper products and techniques.

Paint correction to me is above detailing. It is claybar,wash, polish, seal.

I am prepared to be corrected as usual. heh

God those before and after had to be so satisfying. I am pretty OCD myself. I love wrapping up a job like that. Actually I was going to say I love finishing a detailing like that! heh
Detailing can mean many things. Some people consider a good washing and cleaning to be a detailing. (I have returned cars to "detailers" for doing only this).

Detailing does not necessarily mean angle grinder buffing, clay bar, polishing, etc.

In my experience it's sort of like 4WD vs AWD...can mean many different things.
Washing, running tire shine and vacuuming a car is a car wash. Anything that you can get at a gas station or in less than 15 minutes by driving on a conveyor belt better not be called detailing.

Paint correction insinuates that there was a defect or something incorrect in the paint before the correction. Like a run, a drip, a missed spot or even an area that wasn't wet sanded correctly. I had an Aston Martin owner tell me he had a paint correction on his car and then proceeded to describe a polish. I laughed, of all car manufacturers in existence that don't need a paint correction, it's Aston Martin.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Paint correction is removing all the imperfections in the clear coat. Thus "correcting" the paint.

IMO paint correction is a step above detailing.

This was after a night of paint correcting the car with a friend. We got rid of just about all the imperfections in the clear coat. It looked like the car had be dried with sand paper in the past when you looked at it in the correct light. I should have taken a before/after.

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
Paint correction is removing all the imperfections in the clear coat. Thus "correcting" the paint.

IMO paint correction is a step above detailing.

This was after a night of paint correcting the car with a friend. We got rid of just about all the imperfections in the clear coat. It looked like the car had be dried with sand paper in the past when you looked at it in the correct light. I should have taken a before/after.

Looks beautiful. What did you do to the car exactly? Despite reading the thread, I'm still not sure what is involved in paint correction.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Looks beautiful. What did you do to the car exactly? Despite reading the thread, I'm still not sure what is involved in paint correction.
What @me73 said. But, that is only part of the process. We gave the car a full thorough wash. Then we clay barred the entire car. Then we washed the car again. Then we polished the car to correct the imperfections and scratches in the clear coat. Then we sealed the paint. Probably spent about 5-6 hours on it.

Here is a picture I borrowed from user detaildave on luxury4play that shows a 50/50 of corrected and not corrected:

On the right side, you can see all the swirl marks and imperfections. The left side has been corrected.

If you go to the detailing section of luxury4play the detailers there post pictures and step by steps of what they are doing and can help you understand how much goes into some of the work done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts