The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for years I have heard that Britich cars are tasty treats for furry rodents. I thought that since my cars innards are Japanese that I was safe. Last few weeks I noticed a misfire that I could not identify. Was showing the engine compartment to a friend and he immediately saw this.

WTF?

Fixed this one with a new section of vacuum hose and still having issue, just found another chewed through hose but can't reach this one through the engine compartment seems to go from this same junction down by the airbox.

Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
Check this site: https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/rats.htm
In Pinellas County we have a few of these stores. When I have a problem with our "Fruit Rats/Tree Rats" I put out the "blue bars" with Warfarin for bait resistant Norway Rats. Always works. It works faster if you put a pan of water out for them. The Warfarin makes them thirsty and drinking water speeds their demise from the bait. What I like about the stuff is that Squirrels won't touch it but the rats can't resist it. Apologies to the "inhumanity to rats" crowd for this rant.:evil:

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happens a lot here in Guam. I have had a few wirings chewed by rats. The last one being my C6 Vette. I read somewhere that you sprinkle black pepper around where you find feces in the engine bay and since then I have not had a problem. (Knocking on wood) I read somewhere that one of the ingredients of vehicle wiring insulation is soy based. Not sure if there is any truth to this.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
215 Posts
A24 Mouse and Rat killing machine is what you need. 24 kills with one CO2 cartridge. A bit expensive but if you don't like rebaiting and resetting traps it's pretty cool.
Not sure how squirrel safe it is, I haven't had enough of a problem to buy one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have household pets (i.e. dogs and cats), never bait rodents with poison. Should your pet ingest a poisoned rodent, it will kill them as well!

·
AKA “Prolene”.
19 Posts
I posted years ago of baby rats and nest in the air cleaner box stopping the engine. Posted as “Prolene”. Cats showed up in garage and rats and mice haven’t been a problem. I am also driving the Elise almost daily now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts