The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PLEASE READ ENTIRE AD.

Its been a while, but I'm going to do my best.........

2005 Lotus Elise with approx 62k miles
Garrett GTX 2871R (or GTX 2876R)
DRS E85 and 91 Maps -- 305 WHP
Dynamic Racing Solutions EFI PnP standalone
Upgraded Walbro fuel pump
1000CC Injector Dynamics injectors
ACT XTSS Clutch
Radium Engineering rear clam quick removal kit
Aluminum oil pan
Air to water intercooler (very efficient)
Catch can
AEM - oil temperature, boost, air/fuel ratio guages

Car will need to be towed, but does not need much to get back on the road. I lost interest in it and its time for someone else to enjoy. Its been sitting for the last 3-4 years (garaged). I bought this car in 2015 stock at 42k miles. I drove it for 6 months (15k miles) and then had the car turboed (drove another 5k miles). Front clam has some damage from hitting a blown tire on the freeway (see pic). I started an insurance claim then, but never got around to having it fixed. The main issue that needs addressing is with the oil return line. Turbo return line was not draining properly. Not sure if the angle of the line can be adjusted/rerouted. My plan was to have a pump installed on the line, but didn't like the idea of adding more more components that could eventually fail (this was my daily driver).

I brought my Lotus to DRS originally with a Garrett GTX30xx, Radium Engineering AEM EMS 4, tuned on 91. I did not like the turbo lag, had a oil return line issue (didnt know it at the time) and had issues with the AEM EMS 4. Dynamic Racing Solutions installed the current turbo, DRS EFI ECU, E85/91 tunes, map switch, and upgraded fuel pump. DRS did a compression check and my numbers were 200, 200, 200, 190. I specifically remember a difference in crank speed while testing the last cylinder due to battery dying, but since the result was good anyway, it really did not matter.

Clean California title in my name in hand. Car will not smog in California in its current set up and will be responsibility of buyer if in CA.

Perfect situation for someone that wants a turbo Lotus without the price tag that normally comes along with it.

Not looking for trades.

----$27,000 takes it----

Located in San Diego CA

———————
Edited ad to add Radium Engineering rear clam removal kit and aluminum oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Elise storm titanium
8 Posts
Great colour! Is the oil return line issue the only thing keeping it from being road worthy?
Touring or sport package?
Does it come with original wheels?
Just the soft top I assume?
Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I am starting to realize how much im going to miss this car when it sells. I bought the car with the current wheels on it and do not have originals. Same with the soft top. You are going to have to forgive me because its been a while but what do I need to look for to confirm sport/touring packages? It has dual oil coolers and yellow Bilstein shocks if that helps. Other than the normal maintenance youd want to do on a vehicle that been sitting for a couple years, address the turbo oil return line and its ready to rip.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello LT. As soon as my boat sells, I’m going to focus on making this Lotus 100%. With that said, the price will reflect that. If anyone has any interest in it the way it is at current price, lmk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you find out that the drain was poorly routed / clogged - Did the 28xx blow it's seals / burn oil?
At what point did you stop driving the car after DRS changed the turbo from the 3xxx to the 28xx and if they did the turbo swap, why won't they own not routing the oil drain correctly?
Is the 300HP tune on E85 or 93?
Does the air-water intercooler use it's own heat exchanger, or does it loop into the radiator system?
Can you upload a better photo of the front clam? can't tell if it is separated through or still hanging on with material.
Can you give more detail on the insurance process - you started a claim and didn't do the repair, does this mean you received insurance proceeds? What is the title condition?

Lastly - lovely car - just want to get more details.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and thank you for the questions. First, I’d like to be clear that DRS did not install the original turbo kit and is not responsible for this issue. Not their turbo kit. The car was not driven long with the replacement turbo as I did not want to damage the new turbo. I’m talking drive home from Los Angels to San Diego. It’s been too long to remember exactly how the issue was diagnosed. 305WHP is on e85. The gas map is tuned on 91 and was 280-290WHP. The intercooler uses its own heat exchanger that is install in the front of the vehicle. The intercooler system also has a water box in the cabin near the firewall on passenger side.

As far as insurance involvement, I opened a claim (not at fault because the object was moving). Insurance agreed to repairs, but I never got the car to the body shop because I wanted to address the oil issue first. Got busy with life and here I am years later. I did not receive any funds from insurance. They closed the claim after some time. Clean title in hand.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew there was an issue because there was visible oil burn (smoke) coming from exhaust. The turbo was removed/inspected and was clearly the culprit. New turbo went on and no longer smoked from exhaust. Car was tuned and still no issues. On the way home, I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust the first time I hit traffic on the freeway. Traffic picked up and I did not notice smoke again until I got back to my office (at idle). Car has been at my office since. Here are a couple more pics of the front. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Todd thanks very much for the detailed replies. In the image with the clam opened, it appears that there is a heat exchanger with it's tubing off - is that the A/W intercooler - were you checking to see if any oil entered the cold-side? Curious if you've done any other diagnosis, like checking the compressor side of the turbo or looking for shaft play? Do you have an image of the turbo lines (Want to understand the physical relationship between where the CHRA is and the oil pan... based on the appearance of the Radium manifold there should be plenty of vertical room. Can you also confirm the flange on the GTX? Is this the Radium manifold with the T3 flange?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts