The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my "new" '05 Elise. VERY excited! Taking it to the local dealer on Weds... Can anyone give me an update as to the recalls in effect for this car?

Much appreciated!

Aaron
Minnesota

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I believe there was a recall for the shifter on early 2005's. If it has a hexagonal shaft that you can feel though the boot then it applies.
There were TSB's for drilling 4 drain holes in the front chassis to stop corrosion of the blower motor resistor pack. Also protector rings around the head light bulb to stop the sun burning the enclosure.
When you take it to the dealer they will have a record if these are needed.
Michael

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Elanplus2,

I assume from your "name" that you have, or have had, an Elan Plus 2. If that is the case, tell us about it. There are a few of us here that were also Plus 2 owners and always enjoy hearing from others that have had experiences with that car.

I had one when I lived in Wisconsin and it was my daily driver...yes, even through the winter. It was a love/hate relationship, though.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think there were several other recalls. Your dealer will have a list of them and your car's record of having them done, or not.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
There is a big difference (financially) between a recall and a TSB aka service bulletin.

A recall (such as the shifter replacement) will be covered even after the warranty expires. The TSBs (such as the HVAC drain holes) are done at no cost to the owner (Lotus pays the dealer a certain number of hours/portions of hour for each TSB they fulfill -- ie .4 hours for the HVAC drain holes, IIRC) while under warranty, but they are chargeable to the owner after the warranty period is over. Whether or not one is charged for the TSB after warranty expiration would be dealer dependent but I doubt many would do them for free.

At any rate, if you call your closest dealer or choice of dealer and ask them to run your VIN for any outstanding campaigns, they will most likely freely tell you what is available as far as recall work and/or TSBs for your car.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
There is a big difference (financially) between a recall and a TSB aka service bulletin.

A recall (such as the shifter replacement) will be covered even after the warranty expires. The TSBs (such as the HVAC drain holes) are done at no cost to the owner (Lotus pays the dealer a certain number of hours/portions of hour for each TSB they fulfill -- ie .4 hours for the HVAC drain holes, IIRC) while under warranty, but they are chargeable to the owner after the warranty period is over. Whether or not one is charged for the TSB after warranty expiration would be dealer dependent but I doubt many would do them for free.

At any rate, if you call your closest dealer or choice of dealer and ask them to run your VIN for any outstanding campaigns, they will most likely freely tell you what is available as far as recall work and/or TSBs for your car.
And some dealers will tell you everything is up to date just before your warranty runs out even if it's not. I never had the HVAC done and no one told me even though I kept complaining about my AC not functioning. Now that I've learned there was a correction, the manufacturer will not correct it, because nobody made note of my complaints. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I was once told there was a "recall" on the door lock cylinders. Mine are fine so :shrug:

Coincidentally, I know where there SHOULD be a recall, but that never happened. :mad:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
And some dealers will tell you everything is up to date just before your warranty runs out even if it's not. I never had the HVAC done and no one told me even though I kept complaining about my AC not functioning. Now that I've learned there was a correction, the manufacturer will not correct it, because nobody made note of my complaints. Ugh.
That was just wrong :no:. Sometimes I wonder how the world continues to function.
I was once told there was a "recall" on the door lock cylinders. Mine are fine so :shrug:

Coincidentally, I know where there SHOULD be a recall, but that never happened. :mad:
I haven't been able to find any recall info or TSB info on the door locks.

Recalls are either voluntarily issued by the manufacturer (often just before the next option) or mandated by the NHTSA as deemed for safety reasons (i.e., a shifter breaking off in your hand). The NHTSA needs to be informed of even *possible* safety issues before they can become aware of any of them and act on the true safety issues. One complaint about any issue however is never enough even for true safety issues. If it is not deemed a safety issue the NHTSA will not force recalls (i.e., carpets fray too quickly, etc.) no matter how many complaints surface. I wonder how many complaints have actually been filed regarding your concern :shrug:. They don't come about just by magic or by forum chit chat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts