The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.

I have the early 2005 which does not have the traction control. Can I simply get the switch and wired them in and suddenly I might have traction control from the ECU or there is something else I need to add for the hardware ? I am so confused.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have the early 2005 which does not have the traction control. Can I simply get the switch and wired them in and suddenly I might have traction control from the ECU or there is something else I need to add for the hardware ?
You have part of the idea. When the ECU is first activated it looks for the TC switch. If it's not there a couple of times, the TC feature of the ECU is disabled.

If you add the switch (and wiring), you have to have the dealer re-flash the ECU - then the switch will be detected, and the TC will be activated. Just adding the switch (and wiring) won't do it, you have to re-flash the ECU also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quick question.

I have the early 2005 which does not have the traction control. Can I simply get the switch and wired them in and suddenly I might have traction control from the ECU or there is something else I need to add for the hardware ? I am so confused.

Thanks.
I don't think it will work with an 2005. The 2006 has a throttle by wire,the 2005 is by cable.
Ron:shrug:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Contact British Racing Group and/or bor/koldfire. Koldfire can flash for you and I think they also have the switch. If not, I know BRG does.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I have LSD on my 05. Can I still have the TC by just flashing and adding the TC switch ?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't think it will work with an 2005. The 2006 has a throttle by wire,the 2005 is by cable.
Ron:shrug:
Yes it does. Lotus added the LSD and TC to about the last 50 cars they shipped to the US so that it would be a legal "modification" for racers. The LSD requires the TC, but the TC can be separate. You can retro fit the TC and the LSD to the early '05s, but you will probably need to re-flash the ECU (although there is supposed to be a way to "reset" the ECU and not need the re-flash). If you have an early '05 (like mine), then you will need to get the re-flash, because the ECU is not programmed for the TC.

The TC works by cutting off the ignition and injection to reduce engine power and stop the tire from spinning.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Yes it does. Lotus added the LSD and TC to about the last 50 cars they shipped to the US so that it would be a legal "modification" for racers. The LSD requires the TC, but the TC can be separate. You can retro fit the TC and the LSD to the early '05s, but you will probably need to re-flash the ECU (although there is supposed to be a way to "reset" the ECU and not need the re-flash). If you have an early '05 (like mine), then you will need to get the re-flash, because the ECU is not programmed for the TC.

The TC works by cutting off the ignition and injection to reduce engine power and stop the tire from spinning.
How well does it work in practice? Is there a good street use for the $500? switch cost + $$Flash.? I guess what I'm asking, is it a worthwhile addition for a street car w/ NO LSD? Does it really help in those squirrely situations? (Like Rain?)

·
Registered
350 Posts
How well does it work in practice? Is there a good street use for the $500? switch cost + $$Flash.? I guess what I'm asking, is it a worthwhile addition for a street car w/ NO LSD? Does it really help in those squirrely situations? (Like Rain?)
IMO, don't waste your money. it's useless.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sure - seems like the most dangerous? or annoying malfunction is having it stuck in the "on" position.. That would be bad. Better to learn to drive appropriately for the road bed and weather conditions in real time. Be your own traction control.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
You don't need to have a dealer (or anyone else for that matter) reflash your ECU. I'm not here much lately but if you PM me I can walk you through the process of enabling TC on your ECU. You only need to obtain the button if your car is pre-wired (it will have wiring and harness under the center console near the shifter) which I believe most are.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Keep in mind before doing anything that the Lotus TC is not stability control. It does not in any way modulate brakes or braking. It only temporarily cuts engine power and is not what a lot of people think when they envision "traction control".

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
So the TC in our cars sounds pretty useless.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Mine fires consistently on one turn on my way home. Same place, same speed (wheee) around the turn, etc. I feel no difference in the car's handling/etc. when I have the TC on and it fires or off around that curve but then again I'm not near the limits of the car at that point.

Useless? Probably not useless. I'd bet there is some situation where it would be better to have it on. I have had it get in the way a few times. Easy enough to turn off in those situations in advance now though.

Useful? Perhaps in some situations but I'm not sure I have experienced that situation completely yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts