The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Less W8
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering two different Elise, one is a 2005 and the other a 2006. Can anyone tell me the differences between the two model years? Maybe there is resource or a post on here that details the differences, but I haven't found anything definitive.

Thanks,

Ian
SoCal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Little to no difference. Changes really came for the 2007 MY. 2006 and newer have led lights, probax seats, and drive by wire.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Little to no difference. Changes really came for the 2007 MY. 2006 and newer have led lights, probax seats, and drive by wire.
Pedals. No rear reflectors on 06's.

More 05's have wiped cam problems.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Early 05's had two oil coolers, then it went to one on non LSS cars. Different wheels that take recessed center caps midyear 05, different radio midyear 05. Like others said, drive by wire, probax seats, LED taillights, traction control option, limited slip option and maybe tire pressure monitoring on 06. I believe they came out with some new colors in 06 too and might have changed the weatherstripping on the soft top.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
many of the '05 colors are not available on '06 and later cars.
'05 tail light bulbs cost 50 cents. '06 tailight bulbs cost $1000.00. (replace tail lights, unless you really really like soldering and have other "donor leds".) I also like the throttle cable on my '05.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an 05 and one of my sons has an 06. Everytime I do something to one of these cars I notice some new difference.
Of the differences noted above, I think the seats are the biggest thing. The 06 seats are a lot more comfortable. 06 tail lights are better looking; but how often do you get to see them working.
The pedals arms are way cooler looking on the 05; but the narrower 06 pedals and different spacing allows you to put your left foot on the dead pedal on the 06. I have a size 12 shoe and it is pretty much impossible to put my foot on the 05 dead pedal.
The AC button works better in the 06. In an 05 the AC button resets to off everytime you turn the car off; while the 06 retains the switch status (on or off) when it restarts. I believe this is controlled by a switch box that is behind the gauge cluster.
There are other small thing like the 05 right front fender liner has an electrical box mounted to it. The 06 has it mounted to the chassis instead of the fender liner.
If both were the same, I would get the 06.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
I have an 05 and one of my sons has an 06. Everytime I do something to one of these cars I notice some new difference.
Of the differences noted above, I think the seats are the biggest thing. The 06 seats are a lot more comfortable. 06 tail lights are better looking; but how often do you get to see them working.
The pedals arms are way cooler looking on the 05; but the narrower 06 pedals and different spacing allows you to put your left foot on the dead pedal on the 06. I have a size 12 shoe and it is pretty much impossible to put my foot on the 05 dead pedal.
The AC button works better in the 06. In an 05 the AC button resets to off everytime you turn the car off; while the 06 retains the switch status (on or off) when it restarts. I believe this is controlled by a switch box that is behind the gauge cluster.
There are other small thing like the 05 right front fender liner has an electrical box mounted to it. The 06 has it mounted to the chassis instead of the fender liner.
Do you notice any difference between the two in brake pedal travel?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
fwiw on my '05 - the AC button does not ever reset - the AC stays on even if the system fans have been shutoff and restarted.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Pedals. No rear reflectors on 06's.

More 05's have wiped cam problems.
Fyi i dont think the cams changed from 05 to 06. It may be more frequent only because more 05s were sold.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think the LED lights and reflector delete are great, makes the back end look much nicer.

My '06 also has a black diffuser instead of unfinished aluminum, and awesome headlights, which I hear many '05 owners complain about. Possibly those were aftermarket changes though...

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
Biggest difference for me is LED tails. They make the car look so much more updated. I wish I had LED tails. :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just find an 05 with LED lights, probax exige seats, and a whole bunch of aftermarket goodies. Then you get the best of both worlds!

·
George B.
52 Posts
I've been looking for a place to ask this question: The difference between 2005 and 2006 Elise. I've noted several fastworks tunes offered for 2006+ I don't understand why they don't offer the same for the 2005 cars IF they have the same ECUs?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I specifically wanted a 2005 because it was the last of the cable-throttle. Not that the 2006 drive-by-wire is bad, but nothing like a pure mechanical connection between your right foot and the throttle blade. Agree, the 2006+ taillights do look cool, but the 2005 bulbs sure are cheap and easy to replace :laugh2: Also lucked out on mine since the previous owner installed Exige seats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts