The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The vehicle is registered and located in San Jose, California. I'm currently in Germany. I'll be back in California next week (beginning July), and visiting family and selling my baby.

Mileage is approximately ~85k. I'll confirm mileage and post current pictures when I'm back in town next week.

I bought my Lotus in 2006 with the specific goal of part-time daily driving. My plan was to drive the car for at least 20 years and/or 200k miles. As you can see from some of the pictures, it was purchased to complement a 2000 Mercedes G500 which now has +200,000 miles and is going strong. So my ownership style is consistent.

Any changes that were made to the Lotus were done with the goal of very long-term ownership so that it would be a high-mileage capable vehicle, and worthy of daily driving. My personal preferences for adjustability and reliability resulted in me making decisions/changes that are also generally track-compatible, if you're into that.

So!... what I didn't plan on doing was moving to Germany in 2013, which has thrown my plans into the air, and it's taken me 8 years to finally muster the courage to make the decision that I need to sell this vehicle.

The BOE Rev 300 kit, and many of the related modifications, were installed at the end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012, when the start-up I was working for was sold. It was my treat resulting from the sale of the company. Therefore the kit was installed without realizing that I was going to be moving to Germany in March of 2013. The kit probably has less than 10k miles on it. The kit was installed with the goal of having more power at the low end for daily driving… and oh it does! Combined with the taller 6th gear I had installed, it's quite nice for cruising on the highway.

The vehicle has lived it's whole life in the San Francisco Bay Area, but not on the salty coastline. Until 2013 it was generally not garaged. Since 2013, the car has been only periodically used, and stored nearby, out of the weather, essentially in a barn where a number of people were storing their cars.

I moved essentially exactly when I had finished making modifications to the vehicle, so it's ready to drive. There are no known issues with the vehicle. All things considered, it's a perfect example of a sale to be regretted for many many years, but I just can't justify keeping the car in the USA, and I don't need a second car here in Germany (despite the wonderful twisty roads here in southern Germany).

Alright, here are the details.

Motor:
• BOE Rev300 - TVS based supercharger​
○ BOE branding "delete" option on the manifold.​
• BOE surge tank​
○ Avoids fuel starve, strongly recommended for any forced induction Lotus​
○ Also conveniently solves the non-starting issue when parked with low fuel on streets with lots of crown.​
• Sector 111 Gpan2​
○ Protects against oil starve, strongly recommended for any forced induction Lotus​
• Dual intercoolers upfront (came on sport pack cars).​
• Aluminum ProRad Radiator​
• Forced Fed engine damper.​
○ I might still have Innovativ PU engine mounts that were never installed​
• Stock base exhaust​
○ Recently swapped in a used/low miles exhaust and CAT. The internals of the original exhaust were rattling. The original CAT was still functional and passing smog.​
○ Quietest option to avoid highway drone and to avoid attention from police. Therefore I had no intention of ever getting a louder exhaust.​
• Charcoal canister is retained with a standard relocation bracket to keep it smog relevant.​

Transmission / Drivetrain:
• Lotus Limited Slip Differential (came stock on the vehicle)​
• Traction control (came stock on the vehicle)​
• Taller 6th gear​
○ This is the taller 6th gear that was delivered in other Toyota vehicles, which lowers RPM on the highway.​
• ACT hdss clutch.​
○ Moderately uprated above the stock clutch.​
○ Installed at the time of 6th gear swap. Well suited to the Rev300, and daily drive-able.​
• Lightweight flywheel​
○ Installed at the time of 6th gear swap, daily drive-able.​
• Brakes/rotors should be in good condition.​
○ I think brakes/rotors were replaced only once because I'm not an aggressive driver.​

Suspension:
• LS Sport - Ohlins Double Adjustable. Spring rates: Fronts 325 lb/in / Rears 422 lb/in​
○ I love these! I bought them for the ability to reduce compression damping for significantly softer daily driving than the original LSS shocks. Also (obviously) suitable for track use.​
○ Because the springs are stiffer than the original LSS suspension, a surprise benefit is that the chin on the front clam is less likely to scrub on driveways. What you notice is that instead of scrubbing, you lift a front tire off the ground when going in/out of driveways.​
• LS Toe Link Brace (recommended for cars with forced induction).​
• Replaced rear suspension bushings.​

Wheels: (two sets of wheels)
• Rota Slipstream 15x7/16x8's (currently on the car)​
○ Bought for daily driving to have a more reliable/comfortable tire sidewall.​
○ The additional sidewall of the tires combined with the thick/deep dish five spokes gives a nice meaty look​
○ Also good for wider and track-oriented tires.​
• Original Lotus Sport Pack rims 16/17's​

Boot: (rear trunk area)
• Improved battery mount (prevents battery from flying around and damaging rear clam).​
• Battery kill switch integrated into battery mount​
○ If you're not daily driving it, this is an easy way to disconnect and protect the battery.​
• Gas shock for holding rear deck open.​
○ The gas shock might be lazy at this point, but it's a super functional little piece of kit for making the rear deck operation one-handed.​
• Boot liner (to protect rear clam from damage)​

Interior:
• Red interior.​
○ Not factory. It was installed by the dealer, for me, before I picked it up.​
○ I particularly like the color layout better than the original design. The red is a bit more bright, but it's also more subtle because retains the silver door cards, nicer contrast really. I've had a lot of positive feedback from it.​
• TWRD Carbon Fiber Dash Top​
○ Super for daily driving because it eliminates the annoying off-gassing/hazing of the windshield.​
○ This is not super expensive jewelry. It looks alright and does the job.​
• Black Leather wrapped center console with cup holder​
• Black Leather shift boot.​
• Low profile (adjustable) rear-view mirror.​
○ Seriously necessary as the original was so massive that you couldn't see over the right fender if you're taller.​
• Hand crank windows. The car was produced as a sport pack car, so it came with them. I love them... you don't have to worry about them going out of adjustment. Easy way to explain your Lotus isn't a luxury exotic.​
• Insulated soft top. (Touring Pack option)​
• Rear firewall insulation foam. Located behind the plastic trim that holds rear speakers. (Touring pack option).​
• Gove-box bag.​
• Air conditioning. (production standard)​
• Aspen White body-colored air vents and HVAC surround.​

Stereo:
• Acapulco MP54 (touring pack option, matches amber interior lighting)​
• Blaupunkt Auxiliary cable for the head unit. 3.5mm Jack hides behind the Dash Bag.​
• JL speakers all around. (VR525-Cxi in-dash, VR600-Cxi and rear panel)​
• JL 4 channel amp installed up/under the dash (in passenger footwell)​
• 6" JL Sub in custom machined aluminum (black anodized) speaker box.​
○ Mounted in the footwell, replacing the aluminum footrest.​

Exterior:
• Multi-vex side view mirrors (helps a lot with rear-view)​
• Front toe hook license plate mount. (Body not drilled)​

Accessories:
• Full Car Cover - Water resistant​
• Bikini top car cover. Nice for street parking to keep sun/rain out of interior.​
• I might also have a few random spare parts, I'll throw in.​

Additional details:

The car was originally a Lotus press car, so although I was the first owner, it had about 3k miles on it when I got it.

The instrument cluster was replaced under warranty at around 20k miles. As a result, the instrument cluster shows fewer than actual miles. There is a sticker on the door frame, near the VIN, and placed by the dealer indicating the exact mileage at the time of instrument cluster replacement. This mileage listed on the sticker must be added to the clusters indicated mileage for the actual mileage. I haven't checked, but I can imagine a Carfax report might show some discrepancies associated with mileage, specifically because I wasn't strict with making sure shops always recorded mileage correctly.

I've had the car on track twice. Once shortly after buying it and once after installing the BOE kit, Surge tank, and Oil pan.

My driving style is best described as careful and gentle. I've never popped the clutch to try and make it do burn-out. Side note... with the Rev 300 and the LSD, you can break both rear wheels loose in a turn with the car in gear if the rear tires aren't super sticky (or it's raining). Back to the point, I've never banged the car through the gears. Did I shift quickly? Sure, sometimes... but there's a big difference between shifting quickly and banging the shifter and clutch through the gears. My driving style might create a bit more wear on the clutch (which was mileage-wise recently replaced) but it saves the gears in the transmission, which is important if you want your transmission to last!

Although I have taken good care of the vehicle, it was a daily driver, so it's not a garage queen. Since the car was daily driven and routinely parked in public places, there has been replaced and/or repaired clams over the years. If my memory is correct the front and rear clams have each been replaced once from parking lot incidents. Seems odd to replace clams for minor damage, but that's what Lotus originally specified. Lotus eventually changed their policies and allowed light repairs, so I believe the front has also since had 2 light repairs. The most recent repair has happened in the last 6 months, so the paint and paint protection film on the front clam is fresh, essentially zero miles. Interesting side story, it was routinely parked in the mission district of San Francisco and was never broken into!... with a soft top, I was genuinely expecting to need to replace the soft top once a year, but it was never slashed and never broken into.

Regarding the pictures, I'll take more pictures when I'm back in town. I never was a photo junky with the car so the pictures are rather random, but here are some details of why I've posted them. A few pictures are taken showing the interior and the stereo install. The sub and the JL amp up under the dash are shown. One of the pictures is taken before the HVAC control surround and vents were painted, Aspen White. Another picture shows they are Aspen White. The paint quality is really nice. Done by a guy who was well known on the forum here. Same story with the center console with cup holder… done by a guy well known on the forum.

The car currently has the original tunes sold with the kit. There is a tune for smog-readiness and a tune for normal/sport driving. The engine management aspect of the tunes is unchanged. The only difference between the tunes is that the smog-readiness tune keeps certain Check Engine Light parameters active so that the codes can set for smogging the car. When installed, you should drive relatively gently for a few days so the codes can set for smogging the vehicle. If you drive it more aggressively with the smog-ready tune, the CEL light may come on because you have a super-charger installed which pushes some parameters outside of what would be expected for a naturally aspirated car. So you could drive permanently with the smog-ready tune, but you might have to occasionally clear a CEL code. In short, the normal/sport tune simply turns off the relevant CEL parameters. I have both of the tunes. Shops with experience with the BOE kits will often still have a cable to swap tunes if you need to smog the vehicle. I used to have a cable, but I lost it in the move to Germany, but I'll check again. Longer-term, BOE has a new tuning solution that looks really nice because it is a more advanced all-in-one solution. You send them the ECU, and they tune it with new methods and send it back to you, so you don't need to swap tunes anymore. My understanding is that it's smog-capable.

Well, that's it for now... wow... writing this all out is really reminding me why I wish I wasn't selling the vehicle. This sucks. Anyway, if you have questions, I'm happy to answer. Since I'm in Germany now and visiting family when I arrive in California, I may be somewhat slow to answer.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,799 Posts
"BOE branding "delete" option on the manifold." << This is very helpful for passing smog in CA.

Nice car and good ad, hope you find a buyer.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Yeah, the BOE branding delete was done specifically in the off-hand chance a police officer asks to "check under the hood"... in this case, he/she sees virtually nothing special. Interestingly, I learned over the years that the police really like the Lotus Elise... they're car guys in the end... and they know the Elise is not a prohibitively expensive status car... it's a drivers car they could afford... so I was cut slack more than one time going a bit faster than I should have. I had a police officer even stop beside me (at a light) to roll his window down and to tell me he liked the car... it surprised the heck out of me... who knows, maybe the white also helps by being unassuming.

·
Registered
No Lotus (yet), Jeep GC SRT (for the kids’ seats)
29 Posts
If I were closer I would have tried to make a trip out while you were stateside. Someone will get a nice Elise, love the white with the red!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I were closer I would have tried to make a trip out while you were stateside. Someone will get a nice Elise, love the white with the red!
I’ve actually just arrived in San Jose on Saturday, and will be here for the month of July.

The vehicle is currently being smogged and I’m wrapping up the last details and hopefully making pictures this weekend, and I’ll be posting some more details and updated in the coming days. For example, the vehicle will no longer be using the original tunes (one for smog, one for regular use) which required swapping for smog. It will have a newer style multipurpose tune on it, good for both smog and for daily/track (always use a significant portion of race gas when on track)... so that makes things much simpler in the future... this multipurpose tune was my next plan if I had decided to keep it and ship it to Germany to live out it’s days next to my G-wagen. If someone is looking for solid-axle SUV, a G-wagen is a delightful offset to a Lotus Elise.

The guy who was first in line just had to pull out due to a planning mix-up with his friend who was going to help manage some aspects of the sale, and there is another individual definitely in line behind him, but I’m still happy to answer any and all contact/questions from people.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some fresh pictures of the vehicle now that I'm in town.

Attachments

Reactions: LoveLoti

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And some more with the top off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Detail pictures.

Lotus sport wheels come with the purchase.
Pictures from underneath the vehicle, front and back. It has chin skid plates.
Mileage is 87k which is the sum of the sticker in the door from when the instrument cluster was changed plus the odometer.
Screenshot of the Pre-purchase inspection.

I also found the original CAT with O2 sensor still attached, a set of used but good condition brake pads. Front fender liners.

I'm out of town for a couple days visiting friends, so I may be slow answering.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Elise
29 Posts
So it looks like despite my agreeing to pay the asking price, and 3 weeks of correspondence between us, ewalberg has decided to sell the car out from under me - a shitty move, I think. I hope the extra money (I assume) he got helps him sleep at night!

·
Will work for tires
689 Posts
Did you put a deposit down for him to hold it for you? Money talks and you willing to pay the asking price doesn't necessarily mean he agreed to sell it to you for that. Try buying a house right now by just offering the asking price in many places...

Either way, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also met ewalberg twice (once for him to initially show me car, and once for a short test drive once he knew I was serious about buying) and offered to pay full price, but for me it needed to be smogged since I am local in California.

Sounds like it ended up going out of state where smog was not necessary. I know he was trying to arrange things in a very rapid manner due to travel and minimum time stateside, so probably best to cut him a little slack.

I test drove this car, whoever got it is getting an awesome machine.

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
215 Posts
So it looks like despite my agreeing to pay the asking price, and 3 weeks of correspondence between us, ewalberg has decided to sell the car out from under me - a shitty move, I think. I hope the extra money (I assume) he got helps him sleep at night!
Seller has been on the forum for 15 years - If he had your money in house and then sold it, then I can understand your frustration. If you verbally committed to buying it but no money exchanged hands prior to someone else showing up with cash in hand, then I cannot understand your frustration, nor do I find it appropriate to flame someone here selling their own personal property on terms they feel most comfortable with. This forum should not be an arena where buyers are upset because a seller (and a long-time LT forum member at that) decide to sell, or not to sell, their own personal property however they best saw fit. Unless an enforceable contract was signed and money exchanged hands to validate it, words mean very very little. However; as Andy posted above - best of luck in your search and hopefully you find the perfect Elise that turns out to be a better fit than this situation presented, there are certainly many coming to market lately, it seems.

·
Registered
2006 Elise
29 Posts
I appreciate all y'all's comments above. I'm out of state, where CA smog wouldn't matter. I patiently worked with Erik for 3 weeks, understanding that he had many other things to do while stateside, and I'm just shocked and disappointed that he sold it to someone else, especially while I was working logistics in the background to make everything as easy and painless as I could for him.

·
Administrator
7,536 Posts
Earnest money deposit is the surest way to secure a deal.

Reactions: bucket

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The vehicle transporter picked up the vehicle on Tuesday. It’s strange... almost erie, that it’s gone.

General info for the sake of information sharing: (for buyer, sellers, and folks in California)

California smog regulations have just changed. As of a couple of weeks ago, Monday, the smog test appears to be verifying the ECU’s software checksum which means the system will flag and fail any vehicle with any kind of aftermarket tune. In combination with the shop that (disappointingly) didn’t have it smogged before my arrival, the changed smog regulations threw a wrench in my plan to have the car smogged in a timely fashion. It was a buyer that informed me of the change in smog regulations. The info wasn’t used as a tactic to haggle on price, it was information shared knowing the vehicle hadn’t been smogged yet, so all parties could make good/informed decisions.

If a seller is on a schedule of approximately a month to sell a vehicle. That is not much time. Whether communicated or not, the seller will very likely quickly realize that the vehicle will need to be sold to the first person who is ready to transfer money. That is exactly what I did.

I had 6 serious buyers... 5 of which either offered my asking price at first contact or offered my asking after I mentioned that others were doing so. No one tried to undercut the others by offering over asking. If I had 3 months I might have been tempted to re-evaluate my asking price and ask for more. I sold the vehicle for under asking because the timing was more important than price.

No one asked too many questions, made unreasonable requests, nor made lowball offers. Most everyone had lots of good/valid questions. The first two people apologized that they needed to drop out because their finances wouldn’t support a July purchase.

At a certain point, when I realized smogging the vehicle was unlikely to be a quick affair, I started to propose less than my original asking price to individuals who didn’t want or need the vehicle to be smogged.

One buyer was likely to remove the BOE Rev300 kit. For everyone else, it was value-added, although a driver of questions for obvious reasons.

Regarding Marc, after informing him it was sold, he was pissed because he expected I would first put pressure on him to buy it before I sold it to someone else. We had a disconnect there. I don’t put pressure on people to part with their money. He had no unreasonable requests or expectations. But in the end, he was not the first person who was ready to buy the car. His posts above seem to neglect or forget that he never offered my $39k for the vehicle as-is... which is why I like to do many things by e-mail, so I have records of what was actually communicated.
  • On the 3rd July he offered 38k.
  • On the 7th he offered $39k specifically with the condition that the PPA meets his expectations.
  • On the 9th he asked about the CAMs, which weren’t check, so the PPA did not meet his expectation.
  • On the 10th he said he was ready at 39k when it passed smog.
  • On the 19th he said he didn’t "think" he cared if the car was smogged, provided that the smog readiness codes were set.
  • On the 19th I replied that they were not set, and I offered to sell it to him for $37k as is.
  • He waited until the 21st to reply. (Too late)
He’s the only one who was retaliatory upon finding that I had sold the vehicle. The others were gracious. To that point, I’m glad I didn’t sell it to him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.