The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometimes people who send ecu's to me find they don't work when they put them back in, this is usually the reason, when the connectors are made they have a silicon put on them to waterproof and help the stability of the connector, it tends to wander into the sockets on the harness (car side).

It usually manifests itself in a couple of ways, running problems, starting problems, remove and replace ecu car works, do it again, doesn't. Each time you connect/disconnect a bit more of it gets out and on different pins.

I just got a stock NA ecu back from someone whom i'd lent mine too, i got theirs back and it doesn't work, i'm assuming its this, either that or my collection of dead ecu's is about to grow by 1 , but i thought i'd grab a pic of it before i took care of it.

Look for it each time you reinstall the ecu, it doesn't affect pre 2006 cars.

I just opened up another parcel with a different ecu, this one's the same, same amount of silicon on both connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
that kinda tells us with the mentioned ECUs to NOT disconnect and reconnect without a good reason. (like sending it to charliex) ;)
thanks for the feedback
sam

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Would you recommend dielectric grease, or just dry? I'm assuming dry.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just dry, the silicon is still there, you're just seeing the excess that creeped into the sockets.

there is another waterproof seal around the plugs so with that and the remaining silicon it should be ok.

normal operation you'll rarely, if ever, see an issue, once in an ice age you might get a car that came from the factory with one of 'those' issues so its a worthwhile check if you can't find anything else obvious, but when you pull it, it'll likely have some so clean it.

I just very carefully remove the silicon with a pair of tweezers, do not bend or break a pin, otherwise my dead ecu drawer might have a new friend.

take the usual charge imbalance precautions etc.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
One of these days you'll see my ECU...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Charlie - could that cause my stumble at 7000 rpm WOT?

I'm checking the fuel trims Friday but was just wondering if this could be the culprit depending on what we find. When I got my ECU back from you there was some goop leaking out. I just thought you used it to seal the ecu back up rather than it being a factory issue.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will nearly always find it, the goop comes from the car side, its in the harness of the car, i don't use a normal harness for redoing the ecu's.

Anythings possible, but its unlikely if it was working, then wasn't without replugging it.

Without having more information on it, your stumble is probably fuel related, if it happens every single time without fail then its probably not a loose connection, i'd be looking at voltage levels (bad battery, alternator, loose connections), injectors, fuel trims etc.

Try running 100 octane as well, though be sure to fill it with at least 3/4 of a tank of 100

·
Registered
195 Posts
Charlie,
Matt at Monkeywrench may be trying to get in touch with you concerning my car. It is there now as they are installing low compression Mahle pistons and they gave me a good deal on a turbo upgrade/ exchange for mine.

Anyway, last time when I went to get it(after their initial work a few months ago), I took it for a quick test drive and it died on me. I actually had to have Matt pick me up and we trailered it back to the shop and eventually they determined it was the fuse on the fuel pump. They had installed a higher rate/volume fuel pump. I then put it on the trailer and took it home. The next day it was still decent out so I ended up taking it for a short drive, then I took it to fill it up with gas and parked it for the winter.

I literally only drove it twice. To the gas station and to work which is 4 miles away. Anyway, it would not start up a couple months later when I went to put it on the trailer when I went to take it back to Monkeywrench for a Mahle piston install. It cranked numerous times but would not start. I had the battery unhooked and I charged the battery before even trying. When I got it to MonkeyWrench I asked them to check it out and they thought it was just the battery at that time.

However, I guess it wasn't the battery as now they have it back together but say that the computer may not be working right. It is not starting again at times and they mentioned there is something wrong with the feedback on the computer. Could this "Goop" be the problem. They are scaring me, stating that the computer may be "fried" . They are searching for the root of the problem but they are also not looking to take any responsibility.

Any ideas? Do you think it might be the "goop" on the pins of the ECU? OR Something with the wiring of the fuel pump as it blew a fuse before? They placed a bigger fuse in it after it blew the first fuel pump fuse.

They also changed the Greedy emanage a little just so that it did not control as much because the computer was recalibrated (I do not know the specifics here) Also, Charlie if you read this, I sent you an email about coming out to Vegas in June as I am getting married and hope to actually get it tuned right (that is if I can get it running right so that it will make it there since I am 2000miles away in Michigan).

Any input is appreciated so that this problem can hopefully get sorted out. It sure would be nice if this was the issue.

Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its possible, first thing to do to check the ecu is running at all is look at the fuel bars, if they're completely empty and it does have fuel in it, that would suggest the ecu isn't working, plug in an obd ii reader and see if it talks, if it is just a single pin gooped up then at least that part ought to work as it doesn't affect the starting of the car, its relatively easy to check for the silicon, usually though it doesn't affect it once its back in and working only remove/replace but it can cause rough running if its just a loose connection

check the inertia switch, fuel pump priming etc, all the fuses

june ought to be ok, its aways away for me to be 100% sure i'll be in town, but i have no plans to be away at the moment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Charlie,

I appreciate all your help on this issue and your input. Hopefully Monkeywrench can figure out the issue and get my Lotus running again. If the ECU is "dead", what would you suggest? Are there used ones available?

Also, please let me know about your availability in June as soon as possible as I worked my trip, wedding, and honeymoon based on the hopes of being able to get my Lotus tuned. Thanks again

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just sent you my ecu a few days ago for BWR VF2 upgrade. Saw it was loaded with silicone. Hope it is not a problem. Assume percentage with ecu failure is very low. Wish there was a safe way to suck it out of the carside plug holes.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can get used ones easy enough.

clean them off with a set of tweezers, very carefully. also if there is a lot it'll be on the female plug side on the car too, look for it on the surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts