The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My driver's front wheel and suspension got T-Boned yesterday. The insurance adjuster says it's fixable. There is no way I'm going to accept this car after the repairs. Any input guys??

Update: The body shop totaled the car after pulling the front wheels. The frame is bent or warped on driver and passenger sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Get the chassis checked, if the upper and lower wishbone mounting points are in spec it will be very fixable.

Only the arm on the steering rack got bend and pushed the aluminium tube in *slightly*

Why on earth would you reject a car based on a slightly bend piece of aluminium?!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Take it to a lotus dealer who will say the chassis needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats nothing. Just needs an inner tie rod. Same thing happened to mine. Very easy fix. Just get a new rack and straighten the little bend in the aluminum back. No big deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...I was under the impression that this damage will weaken the mounting location since it is no longer an "I" beam. The passenger side mount location is similarly damaged.

I guess I'll let the insurance do their thing and see how it turns out.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
If any aluminum is bent its totaled ..period. That a-arm mount is bent along with the tie-rod and possible damage to the steering rack.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That little tweek in the edge of that box is not structural. It dosent effect the control arm mounting at all. You really think it is totaled just for that? Come on, Dont be a baby!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That little tweek in the edge of that box is not structural. It dosent effect the control arm mounting at all. You really think it is totaled just for that? Come on, Dont be a baby!
He is better off taking the cash from the total.

Would *I* fix it and drive it. Sure. But he paid for insurance and lotus says new chassis. Let the guy who buys it salvage deal with it. DO NOT let your insurance fix it as everyone will know it had chassis damage and you will take a SERIOUS hit on resale.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Other option is have them fix it but argue for 'diminished value'. This may be hard to do, but if the Lotus dealer says it's salvage, you've got a strong case either way.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'm no expert and I'm simply inquiring but why would a Lotus dealer automatically call this frame damage? It "appears" to be very fixable.. :shrug:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yikes, sucks dude. Shall we start a pool to see how much this will cost to fix? I say 25k. From my experience, insurance adjusters couldn't give an estimate on a lotus. Get a lotus dealership to look at it and see who they recommend to fix the body work. Go to whoever they recommended and they'll give you a real estimate.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No wonder insurance premiums have to go up all the time. This damage seems to be so small one could have caused it when changing a wishbone.

If the chassis get a clean bill of health and all measurement check out, the only damage left to the chassis is cosmetic and hidden away behind a wheel. Who cares!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Its a performance car. If its bent at all, you cant trust your life at 150mph. If your serious, get a lawyer, and the insurance company will do what you want them to do. They will take advantage of you otherwise.

Who is your insurance carrier?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm no expert and I'm simply inquiring but why would a Lotus dealer automatically call this frame damage? It "appears" to be very fixable.. :shrug:
You can't repair/straighten a chassis per lotus.

That is part of the chassis.

Is it very fixable, sure, but not per lotus it isn't.

Look, at the end of the day, he gets a check for 30-35k (miles options etc.), insurance co sells it as salvage in the high teens and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Look, at the end of the day, he gets a check for 30-35k (miles options etc.), insurance co sells it as salvage in the high teens and everyone is happy.
That's the part I was unsure of. If it indeed is part of the chassis then I agree.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A safe repair all depends on whether or not the a-arm mount is tweaked at all. If the mount moved, or the hole in the frame for the bolt is enlarged/bent/elongated, then I agree that it's a total. However, if the mount is still where it is supposed to be, then your chances for a successful repair are much better.

I agree with all above that a qualified Lotus dealer inspection is necessary.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts

+1

1 - 20 of 39 Posts