The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the last couple months, I've noticed some oil on the garage floor. I took off the RR wheel to install new coilovers, and see all this . I suspect the leak is from the gasket of the Moroso pan. Would like to run these photos by you guys.
Thanks,

·
Registered
411 Posts
possibly, but try checking the ‘normal’ stuff first.
  • dipstick o ring
  • lower breather port
  • sandwich plate
the move onto the more PITA stuff
  • oil pan gasket
  • timing chain cover.

re the timing chain cover, the gasket comes in pices so you end up with 4 spots that need rtv. on older cars the rtv gets brittle and can leak. my matrix xrs had this issue (never fixed it, not worth it on that car....). to fix it, you need to remove the cover, so the pulleys need to come off...

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Haha I've been searching for the source of a similar leak for 12 years.

While I think @Krule is spot on, it would help if we knew the car is stock or has a supercharged added and if you track it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
+1 for dipstick o ring. These are a wear item for me. This year I upgraded to the actual Toyota part;}

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
+1 for dipstick o ring. These are a wear item for me. This year I upgraded to the actual Toyota part;}
Agreed. But mine has also been leaking from vent tube #1 and the top of the dipstick tube too. The blow by in supercharged engines is a factor I believe.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Since the wheel is off and assuming service panel is off underneath, clean it up and run the engine. Trace the new oil to the leak?

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Mine only leaks under high load and stress unfortunately.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, the leaks that I have dealt with are when there is positive crankcase pressure, ie, under load.
Fwiw, I designed a multi catch can set up with check valves to hold a vacuum at lower load and then vent to air when the vacuum is lost during higher loads. The catch cans dont get a lot of oil in them with this setup, I actually ‘built’ my own can from a cheap amazon one. it has proper surface area/pathing to get the oil out of the passing air...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I've been searching for the source of a similar leak for 12 years.

While I think @Krule is spot on, it would help if we knew the car is stock or has a supercharged added and if you track it.

Stock. Bought it about 2 years ago with the Moroso pan already installed. I've never tracked it. Guy I bought it from never did, either. Original owner is in DE or MD, not sure if he did. Car has 29xxx miles.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
@Darren Donovan : yes my car is still leaking :) I have managed to slow the leak by zip-tying the dipstick in place but I suspect the steel-to-rubber joint in the vent tube #1. Basically, every time I get back from the track, there is about a tsp of oil on the windage tray and then, over the course of a week, that teaspoon turns into a couple of tablespoons of oil. I can see oil making its way down the hoses and wiring looms on the front of the engine but I cannot pinpoint the source. I've tried adding a fluorescent to the oil but by the time I can examine the leak with a black light, it is everywhere, lol. Given that you are not hammering the car, I would bet heavily on the dipstick tube o-ring where the dipstick tube enters the block. I use two (slightly-thicker-than-OEM) o-rings, the top-one needs to be shoved into place after the tube is installed. Behind that one I would put equally the vent-tube or any number of sensors on the front of the engine. Since you are getting this on the street, you'd be best off cleaning the motor and firewall well, putting the windage tray back on, drive 20 minutes, whip the windage tray off and get under there and watch, maybe for a few days (you can take breaks, haha).

@Krule : your custom crank case ventilation sounds interesting! I too have a custom setup: I vent the low-vacuum port (the bigger of the two on the valve cover) to the atmosphere via a BOE can filled with SS scrubbies (it gets almost zero oil buildup); I vent the high-vacuum port (where the check-valve is/was on the valve cover) via a small Moroso catch can with built-in SS mesh to the air-filter-side low-vacuum port (this one gets about 60ml of oil per 120 track miles). My logic is: at WOT, when the supercharger is engaged and I need max-ventilation, the low-vacuum assists the atmospheric vent. Whew, thats a lot of typing for a two-finger typist. My car uses practically no oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am dealing with a similar leak. My issue has been 3 items. First was the crank seal. This started to leak out of the blue. Second was the crank sensor o-ring which took the place of the crank seal leak (no connection). The third and current leak I believe is the timing chain cover. Albeit minor (a drop every once in a while). My friend tells me that on Jaguars they routinely used a Permatex Spray Sealant on the valve cover and on the oil pan. The Permatex would seal these by design perpetual leaks by applying it to the gasket seal interface between the two parts. This on the outside of the motor. I figure I will try this band aid next since doing the timing chain seal is such a pain.

Sorry to say, but it is my understanding that Moroso pans have some notoriety for leaking. For diagnosing, buy some leak dye. Clean the motor (I power wash from distance, use reason). Do not use degreaser, that gets into bearing seals. Dry it up, put dye in and run the car at idle, checking for source. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Leak testing - soapy water method.

Remove your vent connection on the valve cover. Remove the one with the check valve. Connect a source of compressed air at 1PSIG to the valve cover. Fill a spray bottle with water and a teaspoon of dish soap, spray it over all of the possible suspected areas and look for bubbles.... Do not use any more air pressure or you may pop out your rear main seal.

I have found oil leaks in some interesting places.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
Knock on wood. My shear panel has been drip free a few years.

I mistook dipstick oring leak for SC oil early in ownership... led me down a dark and fateful road. Fixed dipstick oil ring, paid in full my substantial stupid tax... which included a new head so that cleared up my slight timing cover seepage...

I am OCD as the next guy, maybe more. I will chase but not hunt down a moderate leak. maturity

Funny Jaguars come up. I am seeing exactly how deep that v12 rabbit hole goes to seal up the bottom of that engine. Absolutely FRIGHTFUL!

Best Quote, " Having owned one when I see one on the street I think to myself that person must be some type of masochist"

Those Brits!

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
One thing I noted on my dipstick leak was PO had installed overside o- ring attempting to seal it better. Once I put a new OEM o-ring on it I found it wasn't seating all the way down in the recess by looking at it with borescope. Not sure if it was due to REV300 dip tube mounting point of if it was correct tube. So once I confirmed by feel and borescope that it was fully in the block recess I made a small bracket to bridge the gap from where it mounts on the RV300 and where it needed to be. So far no more leakage but then again no track events this year.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts