The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about the S3?

In the DOT waivers is refered to a "US Compliant" Elise in MY 2006. MY 2006 isn't that far off, some companies will be introducing MY 2006 cars in early/mid 2005. I haven't heard a peep, official or otherwise. How long can they offer a new MY 2005 before the the waivers run out?

And are people high up on the wait list going to get a S2 111R, the current spec, or is there a chance that the wait list will be too long and they get the S3?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
not that it matters a whole lot, but isn't the waiver for two years, or until MY2007?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hum... not sure, my memory is pretty crappy anymore. Either way you'ld figure development of a S3 would take a lot of time and they would be working on it now. And someone's got to have at least some teaser info about it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The '05 Lotus calendar is filled with artist renderings of some pretty interesting designs, one of which (July) is a redesigned Elise. Who knows how true to this design the final product will be or if the S3 will follow this design at all. I tried to scan the drawing but it's too large for my scanner's bed. I'll try inserting what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That's the nicest lotus concept drawing I've seen in a while. That targa top is cool as all heck. It would make a great feature on a more upmarket (and heavier) car than the elise.

Cade

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
MotorCade said:
That's the nicest lotus concept drawing I've seen in a while. That targa top is cool as all heck. It would make a great feature on a more upmarket (and heavier) car than the elise.

Cade
If you think that's nice, you should see some of the other renderings they have on this calendar. Each month is somethings delicious to look forward to. Thank you Lotus!!! :bow:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Although it would be heavier, I really like that Targa concept!

I thought Lotus got the exemption for MY2005 and MY2006, and the MY2007 will need to comply.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
MotorCade said:

Cade

I agree.. that is very sharp. The targa top is cool, but I would worry about heat. It could be taken care of, but it would be a factor.

I'll put a deposit on it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
James A said:
The "waivers" for the current Elise are good for three years.
Keith said:
I thought Lotus got the exemption for MY2005 and MY2006, and the MY2007 will need to comply.
You are both correect. The waivers were for three years and they were issued early in 2004. If no extensions are requested and granted, that means the MY2007 will have to comply.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
There were posts and magazine articles about the next generation Elise. It was the one that resembled the RX8 or Vauhall. Of course, that could be just misinformation and those pictures we saw were of the M250 replacement/Boxster competitor.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
Cool concept pic.

I'll bet Lotus will apply for extensions to their waivers. They would simply need to be fully compliant with the intro of the S3 in 2007-2008.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I want this one

I will pay what ever it takes for this one. Well....almost!

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Genjuro said:
I agree.. that is very sharp. The targa top is cool, but I would worry about heat. It could be taken care of, but it would be a factor.

I'll put a deposit on it.
My girlfriend has a Porsche 993 glasstop Targa and she does not have a problem with additional heat from the glass. To the contrary, if the car has been sitting in the sun, it's a bonus feature to let out all the hot air with a simple slide open of the top. It also has a roll-up shade that covers the glass, and the Elise may have that feature as well.

The car weighs about 60 pounds more than a regular Carrera, so not that much of a difference considering the car is about 3000 lbs. On the Elise the weight difference would be far less since the glass would be smaller.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
To each their own, but I don't like it (the concept with sliding targa).

It puts a cover over the engine lid (where heat escapes)

It requires rails to stay in place over the doors - making it a glorified sunroof.

It's heavier - tempered glass is heavier than a thin strip of fiberglass, not to mention the motors and rails and hardware that go with it... not to mention that it's putting the weight on TOP of the car.

ehh.... it looks cool, but doesn't seem to be in compliance with the "form follows function" mantra of the Elise.

I'll take my Fed S2 over than any day of the week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts